Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: oil plug blow out  (Read 1279 times)

GiantVince

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

oil plug blow out
« on: July 26, 2016, 06:14:51 PM »

Recently bought a used 2015 Softail Deluxe CVO, had only a few hundred miles. I installed Rinehart crossback exhaust, HD screamin eagle air intake, and a vance & hines fuelpak mapping. Everything went smooth with install and sounded great. Then oil dip stick blew 5 feet in the air after idling for a few mins. Hoping it was a fluke, added rubber O rings to the dip stick & released some oil. Went for a ride around the block but problem still exists. I followed all instructions from Rinehart, Screamin Eagle & Fuelpak. Any thoughts on what I'm missing here? Thanks

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: oil plug blow out
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 07:01:35 PM »

You need to double check the installation of the air cleaner.  It sounds like your breathers are plugged and the crankcase and oil tank are building up pressure.  Which air cleaner did you install, and which breather bolts for the backing plate?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GiantVince

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 07:25:10 PM »

I installed  HD SE heavy breather performance kit. I used the 2 original breather screws. 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 07:44:04 PM »

I installed  HD SE heavy breather performance kit. I used the 2 original breather screws.

That is most likely your problem.  Which of the various Heavy Breather kits did you use (part number).  The Elite version uses a different breather bolt than the regular HB, and both use breather bolts with a different part number than what came with your bike.  Let me know exactly which kit you bought, and I'll look up the correct breather bolt number for you.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 10:16:32 PM »

If the kit didn't come with new breather bolts, I'm going to guess you used the regular version of the Heavy Breather and not the Elite version.  The Elite version comes with new breather bolts, the regular version does not.  If that's the case, you need the breather bolts shown in the attachment, P/N 29465-08. 

Let me know if I guessed right or not.

Jerry

GiantVince

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 01:43:01 AM »

Thanks Jerry, was able to get correct breather bolts 29465-08 from Harley just before they closed for the day. Easy fix, bike runs like a champ. I originally followed the step directions but didn't look @ the diagram showing the correct breather bolt, stock bolt no good. You helped a ton, thanks again. Vince

SSTuner

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Pro Street Breakout
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 05:04:51 AM »

This forum is great, there is always someone that has the correct answer to the issues.
Ray
2016 CVO Pro Street Breakout
Starfire Black

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 09:58:20 AM »

Glad to help Vince.  Now go enjoy the ride. :2vrolijk_21:

Jerry

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.