Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: need help with safely hauling my CVO to Colorado  (Read 9075 times)

Glenncarp

Re: need help with safely hauling my CVO to Colorado
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2014, 08:30:12 AM »

This is dead nuts on. And make sure to leave your key fob with the bike so the alarm does not go off.

I have a 2 bike trailer that when tied in this way I have 2 inches of clearance on each side and in the middle. The bikes never move a fraction. I also add one more strap on the front wheel wrapping around the condor chock
Using the handlebar to tie down a Harley Touring bike is a NO-GO. You risk having the handlebar wear loose (up and down), or worse. The handlebar is a hollow tube and is not meant for securing the bike under load.

Clyde

Wherever you choose for the front end straps, make sure you compress the front shocks as much as you can. I saw someone in Sturis towing a dresser on a trailer, kickstand down, no wheel chock and two loose straps on handlebars. I almost followed him to see how far he got before the bike toppled off the trailer!

johnbv

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7- Black & Orange
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2014, 03:13:58 AM »

Thanks to everyone who posted ideas on the best way to tie down their bike safely for hauling, but I'm not sure some apply to my bike, I have an CVO Ultra, and as I looked at my bike tonight, 2 days before I hook up to leave, I notice that the saddlebags, the lowers, etc seem to be in the way of good attachment points, can someone who has an Ultra please explain the best attachment points for our bikes specifically ? Is removal of the saddlebags necessary ? The clock is ticking, getting more nervous by the day about hauling this thing !!! Then a friend of mine called today who just travelled from Dayton to Indy and said that I-70 is very very rough due to construction, and that I better really strap my bike in extra well to survive that road !!! Good Grief !!! Thanks again, any ideas welcome !!! Thanks ALL !!!!

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2014, 05:05:24 PM »

Not saying this is right since it comes from a dealer but this is how they towed my UC the last time.

The front wheel was in a chock, not sure the brand. They ran a strap on each side of the frame down tubes forward, pulling the bike into the chock more.

Then from the passenger foot boards back and out were two more straps, one on each side. That was it!

I towed two bikes to Florida from Illinois last winter and used the same method and had no problems.

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2014, 07:41:55 PM »

This is always an interesting discussion. For years I have used the handlebars but after reading this thread I got concerned and check with my dealer. He said it's fine to use the handlebars and the thickness of the metal in the handlebars is better than in the engine guard. So now I'm really confused?

Most people in my group use the handlebars for a tie down point and none of us have had any problems however I have heard about people who had a problem with their handlebars after trailering in this manner.....
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 07:44:46 PM by bbrown »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2014, 07:53:14 PM »

This is always an interesting discussion. For years I have used the handlebars but after reading this thread I got concerned and check with my dealer. He said it's fine to use the handlebars and the thickness of the metal in the handlebars is better than in the engine guard. So now I'm really confused?

Most people in my group use the handlebars for a tie down point and none of us have had any problems however I have heard about people who had a problem with their handlebars after trailering in this manner.....
I think the problem/concern is when you have internally wired handlebars and two piece handle bar clamps.... because of the way the handlebars are made for internal wires there is a weak spot in the area that is between the handlebar clamps on the bottom.... add to that the two piece handlebar clamps don't provide support on that weakened area for the wires to exit and the weak point is increased even more.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2014, 07:58:10 PM »

I think the problem/concern is when you have internally wired handlebars and two piece handle bar clamps.... because of the way the handlebars are made for internal wires there is a weak spot in the area that is between the handlebar clamps on the bottom.... add to that the two piece handlebar clamps don't provide support on that weakened area for the wires to exit and the weak point is increased even more.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

100% correct.
I like to go around the frame and engine guard on each side with a soft strap, and then hook the ratchet strap to the soft strap.
I DON'T bottom out the forks, as you have a good chance of ruining the fork seals.
John
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:03:57 PM by johnsachs »

johnbv

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2014, 09:42:47 PM »

well, good news, tonight I strapped my CVO in the trailer using a combination of Ancra  1 1/2" BIG BIKE ratchet straps and the H-D brand heavy duty ratchet straps and 2 Ancra tire straps, a total of 4 sets of straps.
I used 2 soft ties and ratchet straps on the front fork directly below where the front fender mounts to the front D hooks,  2 soft ties attached to the frame right below where the crash bars mount to the frame to the eye hooks on the wheel chock,  2 soft ties from the saddlebag mounting brackets back to the rear D hooks and 2 straps around the wheel chock and the front wheel  We took a 25 mile Interstate :orange: ride, everything seemed to go great, bike solid, straps stayed tight.

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2014, 11:23:04 PM »

Excellent.

I never attached to the saddlebag supports however.  I always used the rear passenger footrest mount to secure the back end.

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2014, 04:59:57 AM »

I use the HD wheel chock and Kuryakyn tie down brackets tying the front end down with ratchet straps only compressing the forks 1 1/2 to 2 inches max. This allows the suspension to take any Knocks from road surfaces.
To hold the rear end from walking I made a pair of brackets to match the Kuryakyn ones on the front end. These are mounted beneath the passenger pegs using 2 bolts to hold them firmly in place. Again using ratchet straps on the rear pulling towards the front as an added security should something go wrong with the front straps.
Don't over tighten tie downs, this could cause damage to mounting points.

Pictures of tie down brackets fitted to pillion peg mounts.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 05:03:00 AM by Aussie »

imlobo

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2014, 06:33:03 PM »

I have hauled 7 new Harleys in my 41 ft 5th wheel toy hauler !!!  I have done all the above and NONE ARE SAFE !! I had a Heritage tip over about 20 degrees once in a chock. So Now i have 2 wood blocks 12 x 12  by 24 in.  I lift the bike up with my jack. Lower it onto wood blocks front and rear frame.  I have the Harley brackets ( towing ) on front forks, put my ratchet straps, 2 in.  both sides one through rear rim and snug all . I have hauled coast to coast up and down 30.000  miles and not a movement!! 

johnbv

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2014, 12:55:54 AM »

Well, just returned from Colorado and all I can say is WOW !!! Even though it rained almost everyday, we managed to ride approx. 600 miles in the Rocky Mountains including a ride up the highest paved road in the USA, 14,130' to the Summit of Mt Evans, 2 up and my CVO performed flawlessly with the new Fullsac system !!!! Thanks to all that gave advice on how to properly secure my CVO in the trailer, that too was a success with no problems !!!
Happy Trails and safe riding  to all.

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2014, 08:44:07 PM »

Thanks  :2vrolijk_21:

double R
that is a very nice trailer...hell that could almost be a house for most bikers.....don't over compress your forks or you will blow out the seals....check the straps every time you gas up....keep the back wheel from swinging around....
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2014, 10:38:07 PM »

This is dead nuts on.  I also add one more strap on the front wheel wrapping around the condor chock.

Yes I also put a strap around the front of the chock ( has two slots for straps). and around the front wheel.  My chock is built into my trailer.  I bet that I could, but would not, trailer it just with the front wheel strapped into the chock and would be just fine.
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2014, 10:48:48 PM »

One other word of note.  If you are hauling on an open trailer.  If it rains you need the retighten the the straps.  Even the best nylon or poly straps will stretch when the get wet. The moisture work like a lubricant when the fibers are wet and will stretch, and will lose tension. It took me a while to figure out.
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 25 queries.