Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FXR3 questions  (Read 5019 times)

anubisss

FXR3 questions
« on: July 20, 2014, 08:45:47 PM »

Looking at a 99 FXR 3 located out of state (way out of state) and wanted some feedback on this bike.  The only thing I don't like is that the front end is single disc but it is a light little bike compared to what I am sued to so that probably does not matter too much.  It has the black motor, 15K miles and looks clean as can be in the pics.  I understand that the evo models some were case breathers and others were changed around 95 to head breathers.  This 99 fits the head breather requirement, has a 4 piston caliper on the front, and has a nice looking paint job with low miles. 

Anything I need to look out for on a last year EVO?  All I have ever owned were twin cams.  Give me the skinny please.  CVO's are out of my realm. 

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
Re: FXR3 questions
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 08:39:44 AM »

Looking at a 99 FXR 3 located out of state (way out of state) and wanted some feedback on this bike.  The only thing I don't like is that the front end is single disc but it is a light little bike compared to what I am sued to so that probably does not matter too much.  It has the black motor, 15K miles and looks clean as can be in the pics.  I understand that the evo models some were case breathers and others were changed around 95 to head breathers.  This 99 fits the head breather requirement, has a 4 piston caliper on the front, and has a nice looking paint job with low miles. 

Anything I need to look out for on a last year EVO?  All I have ever owned were twin cams.  Give me the skinny please.  CVO's are out of my realm.

Actually the 2000 FXR4 is the last of the EVOs and FXRs.  And as far as the one that I had and the documentation, the 2000 were the only FXRs to have 4 piston front calipers and all 2000s for that matter.  It was a new model feature that year.  It may havebeen changed. Hopefully the larger master cylinder was used as well.
They are awesome bikes.  you will enjoy the ride. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

anubisss

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 05:28:53 PM »

Thanks for that info.  I'll have to get some other sort of caliper as I know that 2 piston is not going to cut it for me.  One thing at a time.  I gotta get the bike first. 

anubisss

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 11:16:28 AM »

So between the FXR 3 and 4 aside from the dual disc and terrible colors on the 4, is there anything lese that is different?  I assume the 4 has electronic speedo, new style hand controls? 

anubisss

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 11:59:19 AM »

Can anyone verify if sportster sport lower legs (2005 or so) are the same length as the FXR3?  I am waiting dual disc setup that I can put newer bagger calipers on. 
Thanks.

anubisss

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 09:38:49 PM »

What front end is on the FXR3?  I can;t find specs anywhere on the net.  Mid glide?  Wide glide? 

anubisss

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 05:37:45 PM »

I discovered it is a mid glide in case anyone else was wondering. 

buzzerbaby

• CVO1: 1999 FXR3 Blue Flame
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 05:06:29 PM »

Not sure which state you're looking in but I have my FXR3 for sale here in Washington

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IAFF 3828

Fire and Iron MC station 71

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 02:53:06 PM »

Can anyone verify if sportster sport lower legs (2005 or so) are the same length as the FXR3?  I am waiting dual disc setup that I can put newer bagger calipers on. 
Thanks.

I know that they are the same as earlier narrow glide 35MM? forks

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 02:55:14 PM »

So between the FXR 3 and 4 aside from the dual disc and terrible colors on the 4, is there anything lese that is different?  I assume the 4 has electronic speedo, new style hand controls?

Front wheel was 19" laced on the FXR4.  Sealed wheel bearing.  Straight risers, drag bars, also. 

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 01:15:33 PM »

Thanks.

All FXR front-ends from '87(?) - up are 39mm.  Not 100% sure, but I believe the first three model-years ('82-'84 Shovelheads) and '85-'86 Evo models were 35mm. 

Sportster lower legs thru '07 model year are the same front axle size as all stock FXRs --3/4".  They are also the same length as the FXR lowers.  The length difference between front ends occurs with longer fork tubes and maybe springs, such as those that came with the '00+ FXDX.   FYI, If you want black lowers, a Sportster '05 model came stock with black dual-discs lowers, not sure if any '00-'03 Dyna models came with black dual-disc lowers.

As an aside, Slight difference is that all '00-up wheels come with sealed bearings and not the timken bearings which all FXRs have, except ofcourse,bfor the 2000-model-year FXR4.  The other difference is that all FXRs, except again for the FXR4 had front-wheel drive-unit speedos, i.e., the '99 and earlier wheels had a notch for the sepeedo drive-unit tang to fit into the wheel. The '00+ model year wheels do not have that tang, as speedos did not require the drive-unit. 

Ahhh, the inevitable brake upgrade....Highly recommended by many, especially if you've got the single piston - single caliper Evo / pre-'00 style brakes.  Those that were lucky / smart enough bought those Evo models with the dual disc-set-up.  It's a wonder we haven't all crashed and burned with such inferior brakes.... :o

The single-disc four-piston upgrade swap is less expensive and easier, as you don't need to purchase an extra chrome lower, caliper, floating rotor, sintered  brake pad, dual disc brake line and 11/16" master cylinder for the FXR3. 

Regardless of a dual-disc or single-disc upgrade, both require the '00-'07 Sportster or '00-'03 Dyna lowers, (finding whichever of those models came with dual-discs does require some research), all of which will accommodate the three 21st-century generations of brakes, beginning in '00.  If avoiding aftermarket brakes and staying w/ the MoCo brand, then there are three dual-disc upgrade conversion options:

Option #1 is the MoCo standard '00 - '07 style brakes.  They came stock on the FXR4 and various other models, dual-disc and otherwise.  Not sure if they were 2-piston or 4-piston, but they are an upgrade.  This is the least expensive way to go but require the later model lowers.  FXR4s came stock with these brakes in a dual-disc set-up.

Option #2 is the 4-Piston Nissin calipers with H-D logo, which were found on the Sportster XR-1200 models, a fast-performance scoot which is roughly the same weight as an FXR.  You can retain your stock 11.5" / 292 mm floating rotors, so all that is required are the '00+ lowers and the Nissin calipers.  These look badass. :cool26:

Option #3- The '08-up touring model / '07-up Dyna and '07-up V-Rod made by Brembo for Harley.  These require the '00-up lowers as well as the 11.8" / 300 mm rotors, which will require more $$$. But they do look cool and are the latest generation the MoCo has to offer.   8) 

***Last but not least, if you're going to upgrade the brakes, you might as well upgrade the front-end suspension by installing a '00 -'03 FXDX adjustable cartridge front-end, or drop in some Progressive gold cartridge emulators and springs in the FXR front-end or drop in some Works Performance springs / cartridge front-end.

Once your brakes and front-end are current, all you'll need now is a more powerful motor to test out your new upgrades.  And I'm not referring to a Stage 3 hopped up 80" Evo.  No, I'm talkin' 'bout dropping in one of those 100+ c.i. monsters such as an S&S 111, 113, 124" or an Ultima 127...

:pineapple:  :pepper:  :2vrolijk_21:  :orange:  :huepfenjump3:  :mango:   :bananarock:  :apple: :carrot:   :jalapeno: :cucumber:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 12:39:17 PM by JamesButler »

mp

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 01:09:42 PM »

Gee, maybe I'm lucky, but my single disc, single piston front brake on my '92 FXRS works fine.  The only time I had a real emergency stop, it was stopping so hard my body was torquing forward and I almost couldn't keep my grip on the brake lever.

If I were getting this bike, I'd try it out first, before I bothered with the expense of different brakes.

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 22 queries.