Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engine check light  (Read 1170 times)

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
Engine check light
« on: July 22, 2014, 06:39:50 PM »

Hi Everybody, the other day when I turned on my ignition the engine light came on as usual and you could hear the fuel pump filling the lines. The light went out then I hit the starter button and engine started right up and idled just fine. After about 2 or 3 seconds the light came on very briefly and I thought I could hear the fuel pump purring again for a second or two. The bike continued to idle properly and I went for about a 45 mile ride freeway and surface streets. Got it on pretty good getting on the freeway 90+MPH. The bike ran great. I just wondered if I could get some comments regarding the light coming back on again as it did. It did not effect the performance of the bike in any way, it is just that it never, to my knowledge did that before. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Engine check light
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 08:48:15 PM »

When the light comes back on after it initially turns off for a few seconds you have a stored code. Do you know how to pull the codes using the odometer?

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 10:40:43 PM »

Hi hd-dude, I would have to take it to the dealer to check for codes. Thanks for the advice.CAHDBIKER

When the light comes back on after it initially turns off for a few seconds you have a stored code. Do you know how to pull the codes using the odometer?

dicko

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Ultra Limited
    • NV

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 11:09:42 PM »

That light means that 90+ MPH is too fast!
     -Dick-
-Dick-
2014 CVO Limited
Fullsac Stage I

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 12:10:30 AM »

Don't  worry I usually only go 89MPH.  I will have the dealer check it . Truthfully I usually do the speed limit or around 5MPH more.  Thanks for the humor.CAHDBIKER

That light means that 90+ MPH is too fast!
     -Dick-

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 12:38:01 AM »

Hope this isnt breaking any forum rules but maybe this will help.

http://independentmcshop.com/index.php/dtc-s-harley-check-engine-light
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 08:54:35 AM »

You beat me to it. 

CAHDBIKER, it's very easy to check the codes yourself using the procedure INDEPENDT_1 posted, so unless you just want to visit your friends at the dealership you could do it yourself.  Let us know what the stored code(s) is.

When the light just comes on for a few seconds and goes back out, it indicates the ECM has a historical code still in memory that hasn't been cleared.  Historical codes eventually will be cleared automatically after a certain number of on-off cycles if the problem that set the code originally doesn't return, or you or the dealer can clear them.  If the code was an active code for a problem that currently exists, the light would stay on all the time.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 09:16:45 AM »

Thanks Independent_1  and GRC for the input. Since the bike starts up and runs great and the only issue is that the engine light comes on again for a couple of seconds  after the motor fires I will leave it alone for now. I did print out the info in the link and I will use it if it doesn't clear itself. Thanks again This site is great! CAHDBIKER

I went to my local dealer this morning at 8:30. They are  approx. 6 miles away. They took my bike to the tech and about 10 minutes later I had it back with the problem solved. They did not charge me. CAHDBIKER

Hope this isnt breaking any forum rules but maybe this will help.

http://independentmcshop.com/index.php/dtc-s-harley-check-engine-light
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 03:06:59 PM by cahdbiker »

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 24 queries.