Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Which Ride Height Do You Prefer: Street Glide vs. Road King/Electra Glide?  (Read 5247 times)

DrSpencer

• Full CVO Member

I have a 2011 Street Glide with Bitubo shocks in the rear (stock Street Glide length, 300mm) and Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 front suspension. The overall ride height of this bike is ~1" lower than a stock HD Touring bike, such as a Road King or Electra Glide.

Thanks to the above aftermarket suspension, I have no complaints regarding ride comfort or handling, even with the reduced ride height.

However, the bike does occasionally bottom out when exiting a driveway or parking lot when making a sharp turn. When riding two-up, the rear shocks will also occasionally bottom out when going over a large pothole, etc (I'm being fussy here, Folks. The bike rides exceptionally well).

I'm now considering going with full length Bitubos in the rear (330mm), but it would be an expensive endeavor.

What is there to be gained by switching from a Street Glide sized shock (300mm) to a full length rear shock (330mm)?

Thanks

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"

I have the 300mm Bitubo's on my SESG2.  I was about to give up on them but after talking with Brian (110tHunDer) on how to actually adjust them, I deciding to make a really effort at adjusting them.  They are really very good once you find the golden spot.  The ride is very good and the help the bike tract in curves extremely well.  I have not bottomed out except on the Illinois craters we refer to as potholes.  They have been known to hold water and fish have been seen in some of them.

I found they really need to be much firmer than I thought. FWIW

JW

DrSpencer

• Full CVO Member

I have the 300mm Bitubo's on my SESG2.  I was about to give up on them but after talking with Brian (110tHunDer) on how to actually adjust them, I deciding to make a really effort at adjusting them.  They are really very good once you find the golden spot.  The ride is very good and the help the bike tract in curves extremely well.  I have not bottomed out except on the Illinois craters we refer to as potholes.  They have been known to hold water and fish have been seen in some of them.

I found they really need to be much firmer than I thought. FWIW

JW

Does a shorter (300mm) shock handle as good in 85MPH sweeping turns? Would a full length rear shock handle better?

Care to share your settings?

Thanks

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"

I have no issue with sweeper with the Bitubo 300mm.  I do believe the full length (330mm) would be the better deal but my ace is built low to the ground. (29" inseam) and the 09 > frame is a little too tall for me to get away with the stock length.

I will get a measurement on my preload as well as my other settings and send you a pm.  Away from the bike right know.  Soon as I can.

JW

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7

I have a 2011 Street Glide with Bitubo shocks in the rear (stock Street Glide length, 300mm) and Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 front suspension. The overall ride height of this bike is ~1" lower than a stock HD Touring bike, such as a Road King or Electra Glide.

Thanks to the above aftermarket suspension, I have no complaints regarding ride comfort or handling, even with the reduced ride height.

However, the bike does occasionally bottom out when exiting a driveway or parking lot when making a sharp turn. When riding two-up, the rear shocks will also occasionally bottom out when going over a large pothole, etc (I'm being fussy here, Folks. The bike rides exceptionally well).

I'm now considering going with full length Bitubos in the rear (330mm), but it would be an expensive endeavor.

What is there to be gained by switching from a Street Glide sized shock (300mm) to a full length rear shock (330mm)?

Thanks
I've never ridden any bike (for any length of time) that didn't bottom out occasionally  :nixweiss:

The '05 SEEG (father of the Street Glide) is lowered 1" front & rear from the factory.

The '09 SERG is lowered 1" in the rear from the factory.

I like them both. Either on those high-speed western sweepers, or the twisties :bananarock:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 01:26:47 AM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member

In broad terms a lowered bike won't ride or handle as well as a full-height bike, and it'll me more likely to drag hard parts and bottom out.  I like to go fast in the corners and be comfortable when I'm on our awful roads.  I have no time for lowered bikes.
The best you've had is the best you know.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

If the rear shocks bottom that easily I'd suggest you don't have the preload and compression damping set correctly.  Did you get any detailed instructions with the Bitubo shocks?  If not, contact the folks who sold them to you for assistance.

Many people seem to have the mistaken idea that they should set the spring preload as low as possible, both to keep the bike lower and to supposedly make the ride softer.  People with the stock Harley shocks often made that mistake and in fact made the ride much harsher, as the shocks bottomed out very easily.  The spring preload is used to set the sag, and you'll need to do actual measurements with only the bike and then with the bike loaded the way you normally ride it (rider, luggage, passenger or not, etc.).  The instructions should give you the recommended sag for those particular shocks.  Once the sag is set correctly, it's on to adjusting the compression and rebound damping.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DrSpencer

• Full CVO Member

I started this thread because I'm considering adding one of Custom Cycle Engineering's billet triple tree top clamps to my bike:

http://www.baggersmag.com/motorcycle-gear/custom-cycle-engineering-tourtrac-tree

https://ccesd.us/Product-Details/1/Desser_Tour_Trac_Trees-1

However, in addition to replacing my 12" rear Bitubos, adding CCE's billet triple tree would require me to have my Traxxion Dynamics front fork cartridges lengthened/reworked.

CCE triple tree: $850
13" Bitubos: $850
Rework Traxxion front cartridges: $375
Misc. Shipping, etc: $150
Total cost: $2225

So, would you cough up over $2K to go from a tricked out 12" suspension to a tricked out 13" suspension?

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member

I would.  Then again, I never would have put money into a lowered suspension.

If you like the setup you have, you'll love the CCE upper tree.  I don't jones for a '14 any more thanks to it.
The best you've had is the best you know.

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)

I have not bottomed out except on the Illinois craters we refer to as potholes.  They have been known to hold water and fish have been seen in some of them.

Is this ever the truth!  I'm glad we pay some of the highest taxes in the country for such horrid roads!!!  But, I digress; I have Suspension Technology full length shocks (same length as ultras) on my Street Glide.  The ride and handling compared to stock short shocks is absolutely incredible.  Since the shocks are at an angle anyway, I believe you only gain about half an inch or so in ride height.  It is one of the best mods I made to my bike.
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7

I started this thread because I'm considering adding one of Custom Cycle Engineering's billet triple tree top clamps to my bike:

http://www.baggersmag.com/motorcycle-gear/custom-cycle-engineering-tourtrac-tree

https://ccesd.us/Product-Details/1/Desser_Tour_Trac_Trees-1

However, in addition to replacing my 12" rear Bitubos, adding CCE's billet triple tree would require me to have my Traxxion Dynamics front fork cartridges lengthened/reworked.

CCE triple tree: $850
13" Bitubos: $850
Rework Traxxion front cartridges: $375
Misc. Shipping, etc: $150
Total cost: $2225

So, would you cough up over $2K to go from a tricked out 12" suspension to a tricked out 13" suspension?

Is there any rear suspension out there that is going to give good ride quality and not bottom out once in a while on large pot holes when 2-up/loaded?? (remember these bikes loaded are over 1/2 ton)

I'm with grc on making sure your suspension is adjusted to its best (for you). Once the sag is properly set, you might have to go back and forth on the damping adjustments to find your sweet spot...

It's not worth it to me, but as far as $$$ only you can decide if it's worth it to you :nixweiss: You can always sell your shocks...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

DrSpencer

• Full CVO Member

When adjusting pre-load on Bitubos, does the rear wheel need to be off the ground?

Thanks

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)

Thanks

Yes, more suspension travel. Less chance of bottoming your shocks (same goes for extending them). 3" of suspension travel is not a lot IMO and with the lowered shocks your giving up an inch of travel. Worth it? To me yes as your existing shocks have resale value to help offset the cost of the new shocks.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 22 queries.