Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Running a rear car tire???? Darkside!!!!  (Read 14741 times)

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Running a rear car tire???? Darkside!!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 01:00:44 PM »

well truth be told - quite a few folks run car tires. - cheap, last a really long time, grip pretty good.

everybody in cuba ran car tires - well actually artillery tires

the deal is this - don't run fast in tight turns, if the bike is lowered way down and can't lean far in the first place its no big deal.

in the early 80's on the west coast lots of choppers ran car tires - not to be cool, to be cheap, they last and bike tires don't last. for those who can afford bike tires they are clearly the best deal, but the guys running car tires do it because they last 10 or 20 k, rather than 3 or 4 and cost about half less to start with.

I've run car tires on my 07 with a TLE they work just fine but its a hassle to deal with them, bike tires just ride to the dealer and they change it for a few hundred and off you go.

all the fear-uncertainty-doubt revolves 15" tires - 15" car tires are 3/32 smaller than 15" bike tires and the car tire can sometimes blow up trying to get it on a bike rim. the other sizes are within 1/32 of the same. there is even a chart on the internet of what tires fit what bikes.

to each his own.  don't let a insurance adjuster see its a car tire.........

to

b407driver

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 11:33:33 PM »

I run a car tire on my Goldwing....Michelin Alpin Primacy ZP 195/55-16 to be exact. I researched the "darkside" thing for a year before I pulled the trigger. I read about it, looked at video and talked to guys that had run one for years. I had a spare rim, so I invested $145 in a car tire as opposed to $200+ for a MC tire. If you rode my Wing, and I didn't tell you there was a car tire on the back, you'd never know it was there. Look at your MC tire when it has 6-8000 miles on it and I'll bet you it is "squared-off", not unlike a car tire. It has a higher load rating than a MC tire, better wet weather traction, is a run-flat so I can limp to the next tire shop, costs less and lasts longer than a MC tire. The only difference I notice is that the effort required to lean into a turn is marginally greater. The Goldwing crowd has been running them for years with no problems. I was a skeptic until I looked into it then tried it. Over on the GL1800 site, they have a whole forum dedicated to the "darkside"

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 12:09:12 AM »

I would never do it. Motorcycles lean, and motorcycle tires are made with very stiff sidewalls and curved bottom profiles to fit that use case. Car tires are made for cars, which do not lean and require large, flat sections of rubber on the ground for traction, with relatively flexible sidewalls.

The Dark Side is the DUMBEST thing ever, in my opinion... thought up by idiots just to do something different. But to each their own...

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 11:11:51 AM »

With all of the snow this year and missing out on riding I tried these on the front and back.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 11:32:13 AM »

$55.00 difference..............no thanks.

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 03:29:28 PM »

I had a guy take the class with a car tire on the rear of his Yamaha.

He struggled with all the exercises. I took the bike through the drills and really had my hands full keeping it leaned over. The weave was difficult going from the flat surface, to teetering on one edge, back to the flat surface, to teetering on the other edge. The offset went wide as the bike kept going out of the lean. On the full lock u-turn from a stop with a good inside lean, the bike kept uprighting itself and going wide. I did not attempt the Figure 8 or the Iron Cross. At slow speeds I had to muscle the bike up onto the edges, and then fight to keep it from teetering all the way over.

Now the above is only my limited experience and might not be indicative of all Darkside bikes. Lastly the rider said his ONLY concern was tire mileage. His is an Iron Butt rider who's idea of fun is to ride coast to coast and back surviving on Red Bull and Skittles. He racks up the miles and wants to save money on tire changes. I felt bad for him as I believe he wasted his money by taking the class on an ill suited motorcycle.

Speaking only for myself, the Darkside is not for me.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2014, 04:05:12 PM »

Monte Warne's first prototype and subsequent models of the first Boss Hoss motorcycles had a car tire on the rear and I remember it being a real bear to handle in the twisties or making a u-turn.  Eventually somebody did step up and manufacture a rear tire for the beast.  I still have a tough time making a u-turn.
Jesus is Lord

yanks178

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Citrus
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 05:46:37 PM »

Have an update on this?  I have 10K miles on my Dunlop and thinking of making the switch.  95% of my 17K miles a year is straight on the highway going 80mph.  I ride mine every day so I carry quite a bit in my bags for all weather conditions. My dad has been running it on his Goldwing for a year and he says it is awesome but I want to hear from a CVO owner.

I have a 10 CVO Ultra.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 07:28:48 PM »

I had read on another site about several people doing this. They had videos from under the bike showing how it handled the curves.  All in all they had no issues but much greater mileage. I would not consider this due to turns etc. although the  video clearly showed this worked with no problem. There was an easy conversion factor to get the correct tire size.  I am still not convinced I would do this but people have.

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 09:06:31 PM »

I have ridden a Goldwing with a car tire,  not sure of the size and brand but did not like it at all.  Just by looking at the two tires side by side there is no traction on the sides like a bike tire. 

May as well try a steel wagon wheel if you want to get more miles out of tires.   

I am sure some of you have road a big dog with the 300 series tire.  They don't handle that great either.  If you can by a CVO you can buy a darn tire.  If you want to save a few bucks then you should not have bought a harley in the first place.   

Wonder if small block Chevy roller lifters will fit my twin cam cause they are cheaper and I can get 16 of them for the price of 4 s&s or screaming eagle ones.  This way I have enough to do it 4 times. 

This in my opinion is a no brainer.   Would not want to wake up in a hospital room just because I saved a few bucks on a car tire. 

Todd
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 09:24:01 AM »

Back in my metric days, I had a Valkyrie, and a Vulcan 2000.  Those big heavy high powered bikes ate rear tires like candy.  I liven in Kansas, so it was easy to square off an OEM tire.  The Vulcan 2000 had over 135ft lbs of torque ans was a blast while accelerating, but need a new rear in 6000 miles..  I rode two-up and pulled a trailer on the Valkyrie, and it got about 9000 on a tire.

I went with a car tire on the Valk and rode it and rode it.  Colorado, Pig Trail (AR), and the Texas Hill Country.  It resisted the beginning of a turn input, but once committed, it stuck like glue.  Handled fine to meet my needs, but I never scrape the pegs, ever.  I had a very similar experience on the Vulcan.  But if I wetted the tire, I could smoke it from a standing start.

My only problem was when slowly running alongside a parallel imperfection in the road, like along the curb when the roadway is higher than the concrete apron of the curb.  The car tire would tend to want to follow the high spot and could upset you enough to make you (want to) throw your feet down in preparation for dumping it.

On each of those bike, I never needed to replace the car tire once installed, they just lasted till I got rid of the bike.  I think the Vulcan had over 25000 on that rear tire and still had plenty of tread.  Dealer pulled it off at my expense at trade in time.

Physically I see no problem with running a car tire.  I don't know anyone who had a crash with one, nor do I know anyone who took theirs off once installed.  Rode with a lot of Gold Wingers who were DarkSiders (I'm not old enough yet to ride a GoldWing).

Those that swear it's dangerous should'nt ride a motorcycle, LOL  ;).  It's dangerous too.  So is Skydiving, Riding over 85MPH (Texas' highest speed limit), SCUBA diving, Roller Bladeing, and bedding another man's wife.  It's like loud pipes and 120R bikes.....we love to ride on the edge.

In the photo is my Vulcan in the Colorado Rockies, car tire on the back.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 09:55:57 AM »

Back in my metric days, I had a Valkyrie, and a Vulcan 2000.  Those big heavy I googled both. Both bikes weigh no more than our Harley's.  :ohigh powered bikes ate rear tires like candy.  I liven in Kansas, so it was easy to square off an OEM tire.  The Vulcan 2000 had over 135ft lbs of torque You must have modified yours, stock they are 121T ans was a blast while accelerating, but need a new rear in 6000 miles..  I rode two-up and pulled a trailer on the Valkyrie, and it got about 9000 on a tire.

I went with a car tire on the Valk and rode it and rode it.  Colorado, Pig Trail (AR), and the Texas Hill Country.  It resisted the beginning of a turn input, but once committed, it stuck like glue.  Handled fine to meet my needs, but I never scrape the pegs, ever.  I had a very similar experience on the Vulcan.  But if I wetted the tire, I could smoke it from a standing start.

My only problem was when slowly running alongside a parallel imperfection in the road, like along the curb when the roadway is higher than the concrete apron of the curb.  The car tire would tend to want to follow the high spot and could upset you enough to make you (want to) throw your feet down in preparation for dumping it.

On each of those bike, I never needed to replace the car tire once installed, they just lasted till I got rid of the bike.  I think the Vulcan had over 25000 on that rear tire and still had plenty of tread.  Dealer pulled it off at my expense at trade in time.

Physically I see no problem with running a car tire.  I don't know anyone who had a crash with one, nor do I know anyone who took theirs off once installed.  Rode with a lot of Gold Wingers who were DarkSiders (I'm not old enough yet to ride a GoldWing). I'm not old enough either but Jerry (GRC) keeps me thinking about one.

Those that swear it's dangerous should'nt ride a motorcycle, LOL  ;).  It's dangerous too.  So is Skydiving, Riding over 85MPH (Texas' highest speed limit), SCUBA diving, Roller Bladeing, and bedding another man's wife.  It's like loud pipes and 120R bikes.....we love to ride on the edge.

In the photo is my Vulcan in the Colorado Rockies, car tire on the back.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 12:38:15 PM »

Oddly enough, the OEM 8 valve, water cooled VN 2000 with twin 46mm TB's would easily obtain RW TQ numbers in the low to mid 130's with re aspiration, exhaust and tuner. Their 68" wheelbase coupled with poor suspension and overall poor handling characteristics might have made them a fine candidate for going darkside in in states with only straight roads though.

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2014, 01:57:48 PM »

Pretty common to go darkside with the Wing and Rune or at least more prevalent than other bikes. Haven't read to much about this happening on H-D's but it has caused heated debate in Wing forums. Bought an extra rear frame section to mod my Rune and go with a CT but never had time to pull the trigger. Wouldn't bother me if I lived in flat land areas with minimal curves but less inclined in mountainous areas. My 69 FLH had what seemed to be a CT to me. Not much rounded tread on them old bias tires.

Story time
Doubt I was one of he first to have a bike with a car tire on it but I had a chopped 1976 Kawi 900 with a 195R14 on a 4 bolt 14" turbovec wheel from a Mustang. Wasn't much fun going around corners and you could feel the tire hike up on the corner of the tread. Worked well on flat land and made for some spectacular burn offs.
It was the only suspension that bike had and if you shocked it hard enough it would "wrap up" like a spring and punt the back tire off the ground like 1/4-1/2". Fossil, Oregon run 1982. I was riding at the back since I was riding rice and once we got back to the freeway (I-84) it was time to let it out and show all the H-D's what this bike would do. Heck I didn't know what it would do but I ran it up 8,500 rpm and was goin' to town. Had already shifted to the fast lane and when I banged 2nd gear the tire unload enough to grab some air and start smokin'. Passed the group with smokin' tire and drifting a bit sideways at around 85mph. Surprised us all that day but it was a good show. Kinda like putting the front tire up against the shop bench and letting the smoke out of the back tire.Just glad I'm around to tell the stories.

Second benefit was that if you were off the road on the shoulder, blip the throttle and the tire would trench the gravel and no side stand required. Fun times. Sure drank a lot of fuel and sprockets had to be custom made. Had a hiway gear made and was riding next to my bud on a panhead chopper with a 26t on the tranny. We jump on the freeway and settle into a easy running speed of 70 and about 1/4 mile after that I drop into 5th gear. He rode a Honda 750 before getting the pan so it was thumbs up when heard the Kawi grab another gear. As you can see by the photos, there wasn't much of a pipe on my bike and it sounded like a Ferrari at full song.

So easy to get my brain side tracked and on to old stories.

2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2014, 03:00:03 PM »

:nixweiss:
It would seem to me that someone (that knows the "tricks" ),  could "shave" the edges of a car tire and kinda round it out so it would/could lay into a corner better and still outlast a bike tire........ :confused5:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 22 queries.