Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thinking of buying a FLTRUSE  (Read 2543 times)

Lu

• NJ

Thinking of buying a FLTRUSE
« on: June 10, 2014, 06:33:12 PM »

Hello, been lurking here for a few years, I have an 11 FLTRU but been lusting for a rio red FLTRUSE since I've seen one.

The dealer close to me has two!!!  Thinking of trading my Ultra for the CVO.

My regular Ultra gets really hot during the summer that I have to take the lowers off so it can ride cool (have the Fuel Moto ceramic headers and exhaust), just curious if the CVO owners here also experience a lot of heat on their FLTRUSEs since it has more displacement vs my 103?

Don't know if I can wait till MoCo releases the '15s and would kill me if they offer a red FLTRUSE2 with the Liquid Cool lowers.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

C50 --> C90 --> FLHX --> GL1800/FXSTS --> FLTRU/DL650 --> FLTRXS --> ?

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
Re: Thinking of buying a FLTRUSE
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 07:22:51 PM »

I love that Rio Red CVO RG from 2011. So much so that I am close to making a deal on one and having it shipped to me.

I also currently have a 110 electra glide and I de-catted it when I did the S&S headers with Vance&Hines mufflers. De-catting it helped it to run cooler. I usually leave the lower fairings on year round. The only time the heat bothers me is when stopped in traffic for long periods of time on hot and muggy days.

If I do buy the '11 myself that will give me a couple of years to let HD MOCO work out the kinks with the new designs and features of the RG
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 08:22:59 PM »

A member on here has one for sale that is immaculate fwiw. Yes, they get hot unless you do what needs done such as decatting and a proper tune for a few things.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

LARK

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 12:50:55 AM »

Hello, been lurking here for a few years, I have an 11 FLTRU but been lusting for a rio red FLTRUSE since I've seen one.

The dealer close to me has two!!!  Thinking of trading my Ultra for the CVO.

My regular Ultra gets really hot during the summer that I have to take the lowers off so it can ride cool (have the Fuel Moto ceramic headers and exhaust), just curious if the CVO owners here also experience a lot of heat on their FLTRUSEs since it has more displacement vs my 103?

Don't know if I can wait till MoCo releases the '15s and would kill me if they offer a red FLTRUSE2 with the Liquid Cool lowers.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

I had a 2011 Limited and I currently have a 2011 FLTRUSE and it does run warmer than a 103. Both had cats removed. The Limited had a Fuelmoto PC the current bike just the nightrider setup. To be truthful the cat removal isn't the big improvement you'd think. It helps somewhat but the major heat source seems to be the rear cylinder head. To cool that down it takes a richer mixture. Just remember while richer means cooler it also means more fuel burn and less range. IIRC the best highway mileage with the Limited after the PC was around 41 mpg. My CVO 110 does better although it does run warmer.

Lu

• NJ

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 09:35:47 PM »

I had a 2011 Limited and I currently have a 2011 FLTRUSE and it does run warmer than a 103. Both had cats removed. The Limited had a Fuelmoto PC the current bike just the nightrider setup. To be truthful the cat removal isn't the big improvement you'd think. It helps somewhat but the major heat source seems to be the rear cylinder head. To cool that down it takes a richer mixture. Just remember while richer means cooler it also means more fuel burn and less range. IIRC the best highway mileage with the Limited after the PC was around 41 mpg. My CVO 110 does better although it does run warmer.

Thanks, I’ve decided to wait for MoCo to announce the 15 models to make my decision.  If they offer a 15 RGU CVO, then I’ll have to dig deep to unload the $$$.
C50 --> C90 --> FLHX --> GL1800/FXSTS --> FLTRU/DL650 --> FLTRXS --> ?

Manvessel

• CVO1: '11 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 10:31:12 PM »

The Company dropped the FLTRUSE in 2012 due to the fact that it was priced too close to the Ultra (the Ultra was $500 more and didn't have the Boom Audio or iPod) and back then there was not a large market for "Shark Nose" HD's.  2013 saw HD enter the FLTRSE (less the Tour Pak, Lowers, a couple a gauges, the Bullet Rear Turn Signals and Large Center Stop Lamp, among other items) to meet a lower price point (almost $7K less than the Ultra).  The winner that year was the "Skunk" paint scheme. You could add both the Pak and Lowers (painted to match from HD), but it was pricey (I think around $5-7K). I don't expect HD to bring the FLTRUSE back, unless they discontinue the Ultra (that will NEVER happen).  On the good side, the 2015 RG came with no lowers (which means a "waterless" bike).  Thought sure they would try and design a radiator into that massive fairing. Not sure the CVO will be as lucky.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 10:49:47 PM »

The winner that year was the "Skunk" paint scheme. You could add both the Pak and Lowers (painted to match from HD), but it was pricey (I think around $5-7K).

not nearly that much.  i bought the color matched tourpack to fit my bike and it was $1250, another $800 for the color matched lowers takes you just up over $2k.  add in the hardware and backrest pad (i already had those) and you should be able to come in under $2500. 
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 25 queries.