Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Tappet Noise??  (Read 7619 times)

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: Tappet Noise??
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2012, 07:17:00 AM »

Scott and Don; warped minds think alike  8) .

(but it was much more profound in red)

Hey,
I like my mind to be warped, and would not to be able to function correctly, if it wasn't. :D :D :D
Scott

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2012, 05:45:38 PM »

all the above is true - and mutually counter productive

however - if the techs are paid book rate - and they dont get paid teardown on a rejected warranty claim

and a owner took it somewhere else and its messed up

techs in that type of situation are not very likely to give good service - the tech is trying to feed his family - the customer is just talking with the guy at the front desk. the tech wants to work on something that he might get paid for - i would too. [i do custom machine work on the side, by the hour - talking is the same hourly rate at cutting metal - if the owner helps i charge more - if they try to fix it i charge more to fix the fix - just the way it is]

if we really actually want good techs - they have to get paid 52 weeks a year enough to feed there family - if they are not then no amount of dealer bashing is every going to result in good techs

all a bummer - but true

the other point is true - many many many owners of our favorite brand change all kinds of things on the engine - and then want somebody to fix it for free when it goes to h8&% - its pretty obvious that going forward thats just not going to happen. more and more they are going to tell us to jump in a lake when we bring in a bike with mods thats broken and want it fixed.

to

in fact starting two years ago on new fabricated constructions - i use BA bolts and nuts, if it comes back with different bolts i KNOW it was f'd with - no warranty. i also paint parts AFTER assy - if the paint is off the bolts - no warranty. 

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2012, 06:31:26 AM »

Wish I could get paid for the in-coming phone calls, looking for advice. :D
Scott

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2012, 09:06:27 AM »

Wish I could get paid for the in-coming phone calls, looking for advice. :D
Scott

You have any??  I'll even ride up and let you listen to mine.....

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2012, 11:48:55 AM »

My 09 makes a noise between 2200-2800 that sounds like what you are describing.

In a specific speed range like this lightly loaded has all the symptoms of valve train harmonics causing clearance.
What would fix this assuming the piston fit is proper from the MOCO
Appropriate valve spring pressure (beehives) and stiffer pushrods. A decent lifter would seal the deal not solve the problem.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2012, 04:10:55 PM »

Okay I agree with most of what has been said in this thread but...... as a tech in a Franchised shop how am I supposed to handle these complaints when :

1) HD don't pay for a teardown.
2) I have never seen this rider again and if the bike does get fixed somehow will never see him again.
3) Why isn't his selling dealer taking care of him?
4) With all the expertise on this site and others no one seems to have an answer.

I agree about some techs just came from mickey dee's but I get really pissed off when a cheap a-- customer of ours goes to another dealer to get his PowerCommander there and then comes to me and complains about his 103 cranking and starting hard because the other dealer tech shut off the ACR's because that is what you have to do when you install a PCV on a FBW 103. How stupid are these people. A lot if you want my opinion. Sorry had a bad week with dumb customers
Captain Dave,

I live in St. Louis, just across the river from Bellville, IL. I just happened to come across this thread today and I am DISGUSTED by your remarks.

At least have the nads to post what dealership you work for so us Dumb Cheap A-- customers can make sure we never spend our money there. Which one? Surdyke? Gateway? St. Charles? Doc's? Bourbeuse? Dale's? Freize? Ted's?

I think you need to rethink what your customers do for you. We might be unknowledgable customers but don't ever refer to us as Cheap A-- or Dumb.

You are the type of tech that we all complain about on this forum and give HD Dealers a bad reputation!

« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 04:12:33 PM by willyB »
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

halfcirclej

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRUSE 2011 Black Quartz
    • CVO2: FLHTCU 2008 WHITE GOLD PEARL
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2012, 07:27:59 PM »

I have a question for anyone who knows the answer?
What do the lifters have for oil control, a ball bearing or that stupid disc.
Used to build race engines and never used the disc type lifters. Which type
does HD use?
Mitch
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 23 queries.