Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What cam?  (Read 9100 times)

mvent

• Junior CVO Member
What cam?
« on: March 12, 2008, 03:55:05 PM »

Going to freshen up an 1998 Evo with 22k miles,going to go with S/E heads,with compression at 9.5,what cam would be a good choice without incurring hard starts and pinging?
Thanks
Mike

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: What cam?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 08:01:12 AM »

When I had my '98 Fatboy done I went with an Andrews EV-13 along with K&B 9.5 pistons.  I'm very happy with it as it is recommended for heavy bikes and makes power low in the rpm range.  Softails being geared so high that's what I wanted.  I've never had any pinging using the most aggressive advance curve on the SE ignition module and riding two-up.  The valve train is also quieter than with the EV-27 that a lot of people put in since the lobes are not as steep.  Not saying it makes the most power, and I'm sure there you will get other opinions, but the combination made a noticeable difference from stock and worked out good for me.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

RedFXR2

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 08:48:18 AM »

In '05 I did a motor makeover on my Evo and went to SE heads (automatic compression increase to 9.5:1), Andrews EV27 cam, and assorted SE ignition components.  There's a world of cams out there for Evo motors so read a lot of opinions and think about your riding style.  There's a really good book out called "101 Performance Projects for Harley Davidson Evolution Big Twins and Sportsters".  It has several pages of charts comparing data for camshafts.  You might also look at the nightrider.com website for good test results on camshafts.  Specifically the section on cams:  http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/evocams.htm

I finally settled on the EV27 for the RPM range (about 2k to 6000).  A lot of folks talk about the increased valve train noise but I was also told that it is essential to remove the Andrews-provided cam gear and press on the original HD gear from the old cam.  The Tech doing my engine knew to do this and I got no increase in valve noise.  Actually, with the then-new SE lifters going in as well, my motor was a bit quieter than when stock.

I could have put a considerably more aggressive grind cam in there but I didn't want the bike to be fiddly or hard to start.  The lift of the 27 probably doesn't maximize the potential of the cylinder heads, but I was willing to accept that in the name of reliability and trouble-free operation. 

The resulting mods really transformed my bike and made it much more fun to ride.  No need to run it hard because it produces so much more power and torque than before.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 09:20:08 AM by RedFXR2 »

mvent

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 10:42:14 AM »

Thanks for the responses,Red FXR,with 9.5 compression,any start up or 91 octane fuel problems with the 27?

RedFXR2

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 03:15:01 PM »

Thanks for the responses,Red FXR,with 9.5 compression,any start up or 91 octane fuel problems with the 27?

The starter motor works noticeably harder since the compression increase but it handles it just fine (stock HD starter).  No problems with gas although I have always used Premium grade pump gas.

mvent

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 11:09:04 AM »

Pulled the heads,jugs and cam cover off,and found someone at some point installed an SE-3 cam and used stock pushrods.Two questions,is this cam good to use with SE heads,and can stock pushrods be used?
Mike

RedFXR2

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 12:55:24 PM »

According to the book I mentioned earlier, the SE-3 and the EV27 cams are extemely similar in stats.  Here's the comparison:

SE-3:  Valve timing-I 20/36   Duration- 236   Lift-.503   Overlap-36   TDC Lift-.185
                            E 44/16               240                                                .169

EV27:  Valve timing-I 20/36   Duration- 236  Lift-.495   Overlap-34    TDC Lift-.182
                            E 46/14                240                                                .166

As you can see they're very similar.  The book gives the comment that the SE-3 is a "good bolt in cam with a useful RPM range of 3000-5000 RPM".  Me, I wanted to feel the cam earlier than that.

About pushrods--I had the heads off, anyway so I re-used the stock pushrods.  It made sense in my case because they're fine for use with a cam of this level and the springs in the SE heads won't overstress them either.  Plus they're lighter than adjustables and I saved money.  If I change cams in the future, and don't want to pull the heads, then I'll have to go to adjustbles.

mvent

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 01:50:50 PM »

Thanks Red FXR,that's great to hear,wasn't sure if the SE heads are decked or not,I would rather use the one piece pushrods and glad I can,adjustables are a PITA to me.Thanks again
Mike

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 09:18:38 AM »

My 95..I went with ev-27, accel programable igintion module, jims big axle lifters..rivera adjustable push rods , S&S  "E" carb. No head work or piston change..35000 miles. runs nice around town and pulls nice thru the gears :orange:...Best upgrade on the bike to date was to upgrade clutch to a barnnett ....was losing a ton of power thru old clutch
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 10:22:29 AM »

Going to freshen up an 1998 Evo with 22k miles,going to go with S/E heads,with compression at 9.5,what cam would be a good choice without incurring hard starts and pinging?
Thanks
Mike

I settled on a Crane Fireball 300h2b after 5 cam changes. I will carry the front tire on the roadking in second gear.
SE heads. I may still have some evo cams If you know what you want.

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.