Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to remove detachable Harley leather bags ??  (Read 2512 times)

Flynfish

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

How to remove detachable Harley leather bags ??
« on: November 02, 2014, 01:47:17 PM »

I bought a 2009 CVO Springer Softail and it came with installed leather Harley bags that are detachable. They do not have any interior means of unlocking the attachment points. The previous owner said you push in metal rings between the attachment points and the bags. They do indeed have metal rings kept in place with a spring. I have managed to depress the rings toward the bag on both sides but they do not detach what so ever. They were put on the bike for transport to me so they haven't been on for more than a month. Any suggestions on removing them ??

DarkEagle

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond with Emerald Ice Flames
Re: How to remove detachable Harley leather bags ??
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 08:17:08 AM »

if you can find those specific saddlebags on the HD site, they might have the installation instructions posted with them in PDF, might show how the parts should fit & work. might just be a tight fit to undo the quick releases or possible they are not attached correctly & need to be re-installed.

Flynfish

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 08:50:25 AM »

I figured it out, if anyone has this problem in the future. The mounts are not on the HD site. They were installed by a HD dealer but they were made by "Bare Bones". The ring gets pulled in to allow the bags to be pulled up, not out, to release.

Johnnyjet

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: FLHXSE
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 01:18:31 AM »

Can you let me know where you got the hardware to make these bags detachable?
2017 street glide.  Vance and Hines with x pipe. .  Mustang seat.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 08:33:14 AM »

I'm sorry, I'm just not fully understanding your description of the attachments. Are they the same device H-D has used forever on hard shell bags ? I ask because the Road King Classic uses the same hardware to attach the leather bags as is used for the hard bags. The only difference is the distance between the holes is wider on the leather bags and you have to adjust the clip section of the two piece fastener accordingly. Anyway, if that's what was used, the pins on these pieces have a groove in them that when you twist the pin pulls the bag into the fastener tighly and locks it. So to release, you push in and turn counter clockwise. To attach you push in and turn clockwise. Not sure if I'm just blowing smoke here cause I really don't know what you've got but it sort of sounds like you might have these. The mount to most H-D's easily with just one 7/16" fine thread (ASE) bolt. They have a name and damned if I can remember it but they are also used by car racers for attaching body panels to frames so they can be removed quickly.

B B

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 25 queries.