Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 2014 road king  (Read 6166 times)

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
Re: 2014 road king
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 10:39:25 AM »

hello all, I have not been on here in some time.  Busy with life and have not been riding a whole lot either.  I have done that deal you are speaking of a few times in my lifetime.  My quesation is at the end of the day, what is the difference in cost to you? (your bike for theirs, driving out the gate).  when one is making a purchase from a dealer, they try to break it up and make you feel like they are giving you a great deal on the new bike but unfortunately, they have to resell yours and so have to make a profit which is why they can only give you just sooooo much).  So, it makes you feel bad.  Or else they make you feel real good in the fact that they can give you a great deal for your bike because they can resell it right away and they are selling them like hotcakes.  But the new bike??  "Well, our dealership only turns so many bikes a year and there is overhead, lights to pay for, we like to see our employees making a little something and profit margins on new bikes are so verrry narrow, actually this is a no-profit deal"! You ever hear that?  No profit deal?? 
So, here is my take:  figure how much single-figure, bottom-line difference in trade you are comfortable with and seems right to you.  See what others on the forum here are being offered, Search around different dealerships (call different ones in your state or another state).  when you decide that is the best deal you are going to get, go for it!  IF you decide you can sell it yourself for more and then have cash to get a better cash deal from the dealer, remember that in some states you will also pay state sales tax on allllll the price of the new one.  In washington state, this $30K purchase will cost you an extra $2500!  Here you can trade in your old bike and get the value of it ($20K) which reduces the sales tax to just the difference (about $850).  But that means if you sell it yourself, you have to pay sales tax on the value of your bike that you didn't trade in and means you have to sell it yourself for at least $20K plus the $1650 just to break even (meaning now you have to sell it to someone on the street for $21,650 just to be at the same price you would have been with the dealer; and maybe you can and maybe you can't).  And what if it takes you 3 months or 6 months to sell it yourself?? in the meantime, they just sold that great bike you wanted. 
These dealerships are the ones that take the risks and pay the lights and their employees, etc. Not saying we have to line their pockets but if they weren't there, we'd all be sad, locally, and it would cost us extra in gas to drive to where the other dealers are, etc.  We're going to pay one way or another.  Might as well pay at OUR convenience versus theirs.  Make your decision, make your best trade, and ride out on that new bike........TODAY!  rather than missing that ride to Sturgis, or Daytona, or etc. And really, what do you care whether they "raise the bridge" or "lower the river"??  Out of pocket is what you should be concerned about.  I have seen them do all sorts of what I thought were weird deals but that is their business; ours is riding.    Porky
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 04:28:01 PM by porkypig »

JQCVO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 06:10:15 PM »

Porky
- you make some excellent points. I would only add that the price difference to get the new bike should be somewhat grounded in a good understanding of what the new bike is worth, as well as the one you are trading. Ignorance plus emotion equals getting hijacked if you're not careful.
It's great to see you back on. I'm on a lot and don't post comments all that much, but recall you on a lot with stuff about your CVO Softail Convertible. I hope you still have it. I have mine, ain't selling it!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 06:13:24 PM by JQCVO »

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 06:27:37 PM »

hey, how ya doing?  I have had this '12 for about 3 years now I think and I do like it a lot.  I let a few bikes go by waiting for MC to make a CVO Heritage but I have about given up on that fairy tale.  This is about as close as it comes to a Heritage, plus you get the added benefit of a wider rear wheel which I think looks great plus may be more stable, except when it gets worn down...... If and when they come out with something that I can't live without, I will make the trade.  When it comes to my own $$, it can be difficult to turn loose of it.  I agree one cannot be too foolish, even tho a couple times in my life I can say that I was too foolish!  None of them included the divorce process, however......thankful that's not where they occurred.  Just vehicles. 
I really like how balanced these bikes are.  The '12 and '11 not so much in the parking lot or low speeds. Really liked the '10 feel on the road with those stock bars.  What I didn't like about the '10 was no cruise control.  But most more than that was that godawful carved out space behind the left saddle bag......for what purpose????  loved the color combo of Red that year.  But I do enjoy the '12 and if I hadn't bought it, I wouldn't have been introduced to GPS.  Now...............how does this relate to the RK versus Convertible??  The RK is just not my kind of bike.........so far.  I am leaning toward a touring bike one of these days but not just yet.  I do like the Road Glide the best as far as curbside appeal. That shark front is soooooo sexy!   Just can't wrap my mind around the looooooong dashboard and looking 1/2 mile out in front of you versus the Convertible view through the windshield.  And the fact that you turn the handlebars and your eyes dont see the fairing turning because it doesn't?????  What????  I have a friend that has a late model RK and they do look really nice with high rise bars.  But I can't see myself on one just yet.  Maybe I need to just customize my convertible with those hard bags/trunk, a few other creature comforts, and quit complaining.  Had a nightmare last week that I was riding a Honda?????    Then I woke up and all was ok.      Pork

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE Dragula 2, SESTP, C&C Fastback
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 09:11:10 PM »

I got mine for 25K including the freight and prep. That was like $4200 off. Got it in late October.  Good luck. It is a fantastic ride. Powerful and good handling. You will notice two big differences compared to your Conv. Premium ride shocks on the RK work really well (some think they are too firm), and there is tons more cornering clearance if you like to lean it over.
2014 CVO Road King: Titianium/Black, Dragula 2 (2-1), SESTP, C&C Fastback

JQCVO

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 10:18:48 PM »

Pork,
I'm with you on the Convertible - it is a great all around bike. I have no plans on selling mine. It fits me like a glove.
I recently got a 2013 CVO Road King that I bought from a private owner with only 597 miles on it. It feels much different. I really like it but it definitely feels bigger and heavier. I'll use it for my longer trips, even though the Convertible has been fine for that too.
Joe

sjr

• Full CVO Member
  • The hotter the Fire.....The Stronger the Steel
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 09:47:46 AM »

I will chime in with my opinion on this topic. I am now 64 and I have owned about every model avail in the last ten years, from an 883 Sporty, a V-rod Muscle (loved the raw power, hated the seating position), several Heritage, but by far, my favorite "solo" bike is my 2011 Convertible. At 5'9", 190, it really does feel like it was made for me. I don't ride on it, I'm in it. It feels like an extension of my own body. I had a 2010 Ultra Classic for when my bride decided to ride with me but after a certain age, the knees sometimes will not be in the mood to hold up over 1,000 pounds of bike and passenger, so I had it converted into a trike. I chose a CSC conversion. Now I have the best of both worlds. Living in Pennsylvania, I can't ride all year but in two years when I retire to South Florida, let's just say, I can't wait.
Attaching pics of my two rides.

sjr

• Full CVO Member
  • The hotter the Fire.....The Stronger the Steel
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 09:50:33 AM »

I guess I dont know how to attach both pics at once

JQCVO

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2014, 02:51:58 PM »

Sjr,
We could be twins - I'm 5'8" and 190 lbs. The convertible is in fact perfectly fitted for me. I agree that you sit "in" the bike. I love it and I can see that you love yours too.
The CVO RK is a beautiful bike. It rivals the Convertible in terms of looks in my opinion. I am blessed to be able to have both. Like you, I'm in the Northeast so I won't get serious time in the saddle until next year as I just got the RK a few weeks ago. Time will tell. I'm in pretty good shape and can handle it with no problem, but I'll tell you it doesn't fit me like the Convertible. It's fine, but not tailored like the Convertible.
Love the trike conversion - well done (wifey looks happy too - very important!)
Happy Thanksgiving to you and all of my HD colleagues.
Joe
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 02:59:53 PM by JQCVO »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 25 queries.