Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: H D cams for the 110??  (Read 2221 times)

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
H D cams for the 110??
« on: April 11, 2007, 07:44:01 PM »

Has anyone installed  a HD cam in the 110 with good results. Thinking of useing all HD cam,sert K&N V&H pipe  . What do you think ???

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: H D cams for the 110??
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 09:21:50 PM »

I think you are crazy!!!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 10:17:02 PM »

I think you are crazy!!!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

:huepfenlol2:

Go with gear drive if your going into the cam chest, the increase in perormance and reliability is well worth the money!

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 07:20:15 AM »

If you are going to stay with SE cams , I'd look at the 251 /257 depending on where you want your power to come on .  I'd also look at the Woods TW-7H which has good grunt.

I'd agree with the gear drives though , I went with them on my ride last year ,and will on my new bike when she arrives.
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 12:46:53 PM »

I have to reiterate all of the above...gear drive takes the "slop out". As far as Tuners, make sure it is what your HD mechanic agrees with, so it is a less painful install. There are alot of ways to spend money, just make sure to do the research so it goes in the right places.
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 12:52:51 PM »

If HD can't get the crank runout within specified tolerance, it sounds like it's hit or miss whether you can use the gear drive without doing a bottom end overhaul. New motors out of tolerance, just what I like to hear. ::) I think I'll measure crank runout before making any cam decisions at this point. Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 01:05:25 PM »

If HD can't get the crank runout within specified tolerance, it sounds like it's hit or miss whether you can use the gear drive without doing a bottom end overhaul. New motors out of tolerance, just what I like to hear. ::) I think I'll measure crank runout before making any cam decisions at this point. Hoist! 8)

Howie the bad thing about crank run out is not the fact that your gear drive will whine like hell or even worse cause unnecessary wear and tear on your new set of gear drives. It what it is doing to your CRANK BEARINGS!!!!!! If they wear out and the thing starts on a wobble journey you will be buying cases!

Like I said in a previous post. If you are keeping this bike do yourself a favor. Do the timken upgrade and have your flywheels trued and welded!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 01:59:42 PM »

Howie the bad thing about crank run out is not the fact that your gear drive will whine like hell or even worse cause unnecessary wear and tear on your new set of gear drives. It what it is doing to your CRANK BEARINGS!!!!!! If they wear out and the thing starts on a wobble journey you will be buying cases!

Like I said in a previous post. If you are keeping this bike do yourself a favor. Do the timken upgrade and have your flywheels trued and welded!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Exactly Mike! But I didn't plan on doing a bottom end after only one year. At that point, I'd probably use the SE cam, keep an eye on thhe tensioner shoe, and do the whole engine sometime down the road. If the runout is real bad, I'll make HD split the cases. If it's not too bad, I'll wait until I have a problem or I decide to stroke it further! If it's good, then I'll do the gear drive. ;) Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

dejavo

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 04:48:56 PM »

Just putting in my 2cents. I'm having an engine built on an 07 road glide. The builder will not let anything out of his shop unless he feels it is bulletprof . I have a total price for my build which I knew had the timkin replacement builtin. They took the crank and had it and the fly wheel welded trued etc. Told me it had to be done. NO he did not charge me extra. He likes to be able to totally stand behind his product. If you are shooting for any big hp or tk the people who see what happens to these engines all recommend the timkin and the crank-flywheel work.
My bike is within days of completion (engine done except for a few parts ,its back at Harley for chromy go fasts and other parts which will complete the bike) I will come back on site with details etc. when it is finished and I get some pants time on it.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 05:18:03 PM »

Just putting in my 2cents. I'm having an engine built on an 07 road glide. The builder will not let anything out of his shop unless he feels it is bulletprof . I have a total price for my build which I knew had the timkin replacement builtin. They took the crank and had it and the fly wheel welded trued etc. Told me it had to be done. NO he did not charge me extra. He likes to be able to totally stand behind his product. If you are shooting for any big hp or tk the people who see what happens to these engines all recommend the timkin and the crank-flywheel work.
My bike is within days of completion (engine done except for a few parts ,its back at Harley for chromy go fasts and other parts which will complete the bike) I will come back on site with details etc. when it is finished and I get some pants time on it.

I fully agree mr, and welcome, as I don't remember talking to you before. That's great if I had an extra 5-10 grand laying around after spending over 35 grand now on the bike. I shouldn't have to worry about it, should I? But we do. I personally can't justify tearing my new bike's motor down. So I have to live with this inferior bottom end design for awhile! So, I'll have to understand the parameters I have to work within, and modify accordingly, until the day I do split the cases. Then I'll do as you did, and it won't be a Harley motor inside anymore either, that's for sure! ;) Hoist! 8)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 06:42:03 PM »

Howie...since they've got the primary off, why not get them to at least check the runout on that side?  Wouldn't take them 10 minutes...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 09:01:43 PM »

Has anyone installed  a HD cam in the 110 with good results. Thinking of useing all HD cam,sert K&N V&H pipe  . What do you think ???

Damn Skippy!

I go on a cruise for a few days and come back and you have gone crazy!
Sell that thing before you put the Harley cams in it.
WAIT!, you are trying to sell it? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Get the Freedom cam, the SERT and the V&H pipe you been looking for.
Get Dean to install and tune and your heat worries are over!

Skippy, stay away from those drugs!
They are making you say crazy things!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

dejavo

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 01:48:16 PM »

Well Hoist I'll make you feel a little bettor. My 04 se eglide had only the top end done and is still running strong .It has about 15000 mi on since I had that engine reworked.  Knowing what I know now however I do worry a bit . Good Luck

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 09:42:09 PM »

Talked with the boys at Carolina HD today they put me at ease  just waiting on parts may jump ship on the V@H pipe  may go with D@D or Rineharts

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 25 queries.