Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engine mods on a 03' w/95" mill>>>???  (Read 5252 times)

biz44

• F-around...F-around, soon you wont be around!
Engine mods on a 03' w/95" mill>>>???
« on: October 17, 2008, 07:26:21 AM »

I been thinking about beefing up the mill on my 2003 SE-Deuce. It came from the factory with a 95" engine, and 203 cams w/flat top pistons, and a comp ratio of 9.5:1 IIRC. I bought it used with about 3700 miles on it, and it still had the stock exhaust and only a stage-I intake and stage-1 DL. I have since installed a set of V & H Big Radius pipes w/Big City Thunder "Thunder Monster" baffles. Taylor "Thunder Volt" plug wires, NGK iridium plugs, A SERT, and a good dyno tune. I am at about 94Hp/98Tq, and the bike pulls hard as hell, but I want a bit more. So I was thinking about installing a SE 103" kit w/cnc ported
heads and 211 cams...and a new set of clutch plates and heavy spring.
Has anyone here done anything like this to a SE model w/95" engine. If you have please list exactly what you did and what your results were. I am sitting on the fence though, because I dont want to mess with the stock 95" engine on a limited model(if you dont know it even has a 100th anny badge cast right into the engine case). I dont see me selling this bike any time soon (its way too nice & fast)...its exactly the way I want it, but for a few more ponies. What I am saying is I dont want to hurt the resale value.....just in case I decide to dump it one day.

Anyhow, thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.
03'FXSTD-SE CVO Screaming Eagle Deuce.
 08'FLHX Street Glide in Dark Blue Pearl.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Engine mods on a 03' w/95" mill>>>???
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 12:41:24 PM »

Those are some nice numbers with the V&H.

I'm running the heavy breather, V&H BR, and a PCIII with a Golden Tune and I'm nowhere near these numbers. I wonder if those are corrected? I am just using the SE Wires and Stocks plugs but I won't imagine that would account for much.

Can you tell me about the baffles? I have the 2 into 2, and the baffles include the rear sections of the tail pipes, so I'm wondering if the new baffles include the pipes, or do you have to separate the V&H baffles from the pipes?

Also, are they louder? How do they sound?

Getting back to your question, I was actually thinking about just buying a Jims or S&S 124 and swapping that out and bagging my 95". I'm thinking about that if I don't get a new bike. I dunno.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 09:34:01 AM by mrmagloo »
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

biz44

• F-around...F-around, soon you wont be around!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 11:42:50 PM »

The numbers are 100% correct and here is the dyno sheet to prove it. This was the first one he printed out....I have a finished run where he was able to smooth things out a bunch, and even bump up the HP a bit.

As for the baffles.....you can remove the stock V & H baffles from the Big Radius pipes very easy. You then box them up or chit can them or whatever. Then you install the Thunder Monsters......I did have to drill a small hole in the end of each pipe (not the heat shields) for the set screw.....but these things are amazing. They make the bike sound so much better and boost the power and torque....its a win-win-win situation if I ever seen one. They do make the bike a bit louder than with the OEM V&H baffles, but so what. When we were making the dyno runs, all the other tech at the HD dealer were coming over to eye ball my bike, and to see what pipes I had on it. Then they were saying I never heard Big Radius pipes sounding like that.....I just keep the Thunder Monster's under my (and my dyno tech's) hat!
Here check out Thunder Monster's web site

As far as installing another crate engine....its a good idea, but if I go that rout, I would also spring for a Baker 6 speed tranny to match the new engine.
03'FXSTD-SE CVO Screaming Eagle Deuce.
 08'FLHX Street Glide in Dark Blue Pearl.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 03:23:49 AM »

The numbers are 100% correct and here is the dyno sheet to prove it.

Damn, what was going on that afternoon?  First run at 4:50 PM and ambient temp of 56 degrees.  Second shown run an hour and twenty minutes later and it's 78 degrees. 

22 degrees warmer going from very late afternoon to early evening on the 26th of December?  Change in barometric pressure of only 29.91 to 29.95 so no front moved through.  Odd report...

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 09:44:57 AM »

Did you go with the 2002's? After reviewing the site, it seems they recommend those for the BR2-2's. Those or the Quiet Baffles QBL 1845. I wonder if the QQ's are louder than the OEM V&H? I'm not so sure I want to go any louder - my ears ring as it is!

When you removed the V&H baffles, do they get destroyed? I'm tempted to try the 2002's, but want to make sure this isn't a one way trip if I don't like them. Do you have a copy of the install sheets?

On the dyno sheet, beyond the environmental variance, I was also surprised to see how low the original numbers were. While 92HP/98TQ is very good for bolt ons, and probably close to the number I had with my Thunderheader, that does look a little strange. I wonder why they don't include the A/F ratio? That might have given you some clues on the 3300 rpm hole? I would think they should have been able to smooth that out a bit more?? I dunno. How's she run?

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 02:31:05 AM »

Fwiw, I ended up getting a set of the Big City 2002's. Sounds awesome. I bit loud perhaps, but the rap is pretty nice! Can't really tell how much they help performance wise, but I think the sound alone is worth the price of admission. I make a before and after video, if someone can host it?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 06:06:56 PM by mrmagloo »

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 25 queries.