Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Rossmeyer family dealership changes hands  (Read 8256 times)

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
Re: Rossmeyer family dealership changes hands
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 02:40:31 PM »

Sales guy was non plussed when I told him I was buying the same exact bike for 9k less.  Said if you come back in a few weeks, these CVOs will not be here.  He was right.  So was PT Barnum.

I think that was at the end of the hey day day where Harleys were in short supply, Daytona was a much bigger event than it is today and International and out of state buyers were showing up with pockets full of cash ready to buy. There were ride around and we'll ship it home for you packages available that made it easy for these guys to fly in, enjoy a week or two of good weather and fly out again. Then their bike would show up a week or so later at their residence.

Harley blocked the International and Canadian sales of NEW bikes but many were ridden around for 100 miles or so and sold as used.  Australia and Japan have moritoriums on today. However bikes can be bought here, dismantled and the parts and bolts carefully tagged and the pieces shipped to warehouses on the other end in the respective countries and reassembled in a few hours. The profit---300-400% higher than prices here NET.

Don't you just love resourceful and entreprenuaral people who find ways to adapt to the ever changing marketplace?

« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 02:35:24 PM by CVOStreetglide »

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 08:38:46 PM »

Well last spring and this Fall, CVO's at Destination Daytona were way over MSRP, its not a thing of the past.  I saw a Used 12 Skunk with 6500 miles on it, they wanted 34,000 for it.  That is more than MSRP when I bought mine new for MSRP
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 02:41:44 PM »

Well last spring and this Fall, CVO's at Destination Daytona were way over MSRP, its not a thing of the past.  I saw a Used 12 Skunk with 6500 miles on it, they wanted 34,000 for it.  That is more than MSRP when I bought mine new for MSRP

I understand your frustration. But it's Econ 101 Supply and Demand coupled with Arc/Price Elastisity. At some point in the price arc, people will stop buying and then the price will continue to drop until the product sells.

They will consider offers but will quickly refuse one if they are convinced they can get their price or near the price they want. "I've seen it"

Barnett Harley operates the same way. 

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 09:18:40 PM »

I understand your frustration. But it's Econ 101 Supply and Demand coupled with Arc/Price Elastisity. At some point in the price arc, people will stop buying and then the price will continue to drop until the product sells.

They will consider offers but will quickly refuse one if they are convinced they can get their price or near the price they want. "I've seen it"

Barnett Harley operates the same way. 

No frustration, would not even waist my breath making an offer in that store.  Way to many will sell at MSRP, and some below with less hassle then that place.  If I am in a HD store and there bikes are marked over MSRP I will not waist a minute talking to them about a bike.  Learned that real quick at Thunder Creek in Chattanooga.  They had what I wanted on the floor, marked over MSRP.  Brought in a written offer on a bike I would have to wait 6 weeks to get, at MSRP.  I asked if I could get close, they told me go buy that bike as they were firm, and I did go buy the other bike.

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2013, 02:38:48 AM »

I think that was at the end of the hey day day where Harleys were in short supply, Daytona was a much bigger event than it is today and International and out of state buyers were showing up with pockets full of cash ready to buy. There were ride around and we'll ship it home for you packages available that made it easy for these guys to fly in, enjoy a week or two of good weather and fly out again. Then their bike would show up a week or so later at their residence.

Lost interest in checking out pricing or anything else at Destination Daytona Harley store.  It has turned into the main venue for vendors for rhe Daytona rallys, but cannot remember the last time I actually walked into the HD store there.  J&P Cycles is a regular stop as are some of the vendors that are there.  Understand dealers that sell over MSRP, & since so many dealers do not, no reason for me to waste time at an MSRP+ dealer.  No surprise Rossmeyer is selling/closing some locations. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2013, 11:48:16 AM »

Lost interest in checking out pricing or anything else at Destination Daytona Harley store.  It has turned into the main venue for vendors for rhe Daytona rallys, but cannot remember the last time I actually walked into the HD store there.  J&P Cycles is a regular stop as are some of the vendors that are there.  Understand dealers that sell over MSRP, & since so many dealers do not, no reason for me to waste time at an MSRP+ dealer.  No surprise Rossmeyer is selling/closing some locations.  

The reason they are selling is to reduce the overly large "footprint" of dealerships  they own at very favorable prices-to them. In other words, no "fire sale" deals.

They are reinvesting the money in other business ventures outside Harley-Davidson.

Look I understand your point. I know them on a casual basis for over 25 years but I have never bought a bike from them either--for your and other posters same reasons.  

Business is Business and friends are friends..... I do marvel at the people that are willing to pay what they ask and like to speculate on how much they will get  come trade or sale time.  

Happy Holidays!!

« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 11:50:00 AM by CVOStreetglide »

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2013, 12:04:37 PM »

The reason they are selling is to reduce the overly large "footprint" of dealerships  they own at very favorable prices-to them. In other words, no "fire sale" deals.

They are reinvesting the money in other business ventures outside Harley-Davidson.

Look I understand your point. I know them on a casual basis for over 25 years but I have never bought a bike from them either--for your and other posters same reasons.  

Business is Business and friends are friends..... I do marvel at the people that are willing to pay what they ask and like to speculate on how much they will get  come trade or sale time.  

Happy Holidays!!

Ain't it the truth.  I marvel at how much I paid and spent on additions and I sure didn't pay a Rossmeyer tax on any of mine, lol.  MSRP is bad enough.  Anything much over that is adding insult to injury imo.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2013, 11:10:49 PM »

The reason they are selling is to reduce the overly large "footprint" of dealerships  they own at very favorable prices-to them. In other words, no "fire sale" deals.

Business is Business and friends are friends..... I do marvel at the people that are willing to pay what they ask and like to speculate on how much they will get  come trade or sale time. 

Happy Holidays!!

There are fewer Rossmeyer south Florida locations (market was over supplied for the economy) & not a big surprise the old Daytona Beach store closed.  Some dealers sell or try to sell at thousands over MSRP.  And some will pay that price.  As long as they continue to have customers, for them it's a good business model.  For those who live in their marketing area, it sucks. 

Know of several dealers who have sold profitable stores for  profit.  No problems with dealers making a profit, if they lose money, unlike a government entity, they go out of business. 

As far as Destination Daytona, for me it's a waste of time if bike shopping.  The store is a novelty since it is huge & granted when I hit Bike Weeks I end up in the area, if not n the store.

Merry Christmas!
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 25 queries.