Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All

Author Topic: Changing the bars  (Read 33561 times)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: Changing the bars
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2015, 10:13:56 PM »

Thanks for the info. I went to Harley and asked how much it would cost to put "12 bars on my 2014 Street Glide and they told me $2000 and they had to change the brake lines and clutch. Thanks for letting me know that I can just change the bars and not cables.

I think the highest you can go on stock clutch and brake lines in 10"

beefcake

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Ultra Classic Electra Glide
    • Team Beefcake Racing
« Reply #91 on: August 14, 2015, 11:04:22 AM »

so, the dealer did my bars yesterday on my 15 cvo, said it was about 8 hours,  I called today and said I'd liked them moved a little closer, and he said probably take at least 2 hours to do.

reading here, it looks like guys are saying they are doing them in 2 hours from start to finish, unless I'm reading something wrong.

he told me the fairing has to come back off, etc..

is this something I can do easily or not,  if I can knock it out quick I'd rather do it myself
2013 CVO Road King
Sold - 2012 CVO Ultra Glide
2011 Mustang GT - 1179 RWHP - 8.75@167mph

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Crimson - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Hard Candy / Smokey Quartz - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2024 FLTRXSTSE Golden White Pearl
« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2015, 08:24:11 PM »

They should have made arrangements with you to test fit the bars BEFORE they put it all back together. That said, take a look at the video on the previous page. The outer fairing has to come off and the inner fairing moved out of the way to access the bolts. I've never done it before but would think it would take some time going slowly to do it.

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2015, 08:31:55 PM »

I think the highest you can go on stock clutch and brake lines in 10"

G-man on the previous page stated he was able to use the stock cables/clutch line with the 12" Yaffee's. Other brands may require new ones. He did need wire extensions.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2015, 08:34:23 PM »

You get different answers on the 12's ....luckily I am staying with 10's

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

« Reply #95 on: August 14, 2015, 08:37:54 PM »

Yes, only one way to find out, lol.  I see a set of 10" Yaffee's in my future as well.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2015, 11:29:37 PM »

Yes, only one way to find out, lol.  I see a set of 10" Yaffee's in my future as well.

I think I am going with the LA Choppers Twin Peaks

SGME9

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2015, 06:56:30 PM »

I hope someone finds this useful:

Great Video, Thank You I will change my own bars out now and save the money HD wants for beer and tires.

G-Man

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NV

« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2015, 10:14:59 PM »

I adjusted my bars the other day in about 30 minutes. I did not have to separate the inner and outer fairings, I removed the two screws for the inner cover for the switch and then removed the turn signals and the four bolts holding the fairing in place that are under the turn signals, remove the cover on the front below the fairing and then roll the fairing forward. it is very easy to do. I did this by myself so you should be able to get it done.

beefcake

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Ultra Classic Electra Glide
    • Team Beefcake Racing
« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2015, 01:47:46 PM »

I adjusted my bars the other day in about 30 minutes. I did not have to separate the inner and outer fairings, I removed the two screws for the inner cover for the switch and then removed the turn signals and the four bolts holding the fairing in place that are under the turn signals, remove the cover on the front below the fairing and then roll the fairing forward. it is very easy to do. I did this by myself so you should be able to get it done.

nice, i'll have to try this,  I had them adjust them back forward pretty far, now I think too far that way,  I'd rather do myself if not that big of a deal
2013 CVO Road King
Sold - 2012 CVO Ultra Glide
2011 Mustang GT - 1179 RWHP - 8.75@167mph

Mandrew13

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2015, 05:36:44 PM »

so, the dealer did my bars yesterday on my 15 cvo, said it was about 8 hours,  I called today and said I'd liked them moved a little closer, and he said probably take at least 2 hours to do.

reading here, it looks like guys are saying they are doing them in 2 hours from start to finish, unless I'm reading something wrong.

he told me the fairing has to come back off, etc..

is this something I can do easily or not,  if I can knock it out quick I'd rather do it myself

Nope. It does not take that long.  Taking the outer fairing off takes less than five minutes, and you don't have to remove the inner fairing, just lift it....  G-man is spot on.... Your dealer is telling you tall tales.

J Heinlein

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #101 on: September 07, 2015, 07:51:55 PM »

We just did a set of LA Choppers 10" twin Peaks on my Buddies 15- SG. The stock Brake and Clutch lines were fine. Just move around the wiring as needed and it will  give you enough play in the cables.  For all of the time it took (3 hrs) I am glad he bought the wire extensions.  You can cut all of the stock wire ties off ( and there is a Chitt ton) and that will give you a few inches more line but it still seemed like it would have been real tight.  The plug and play extensions are the way to go for the money. Keeps the wiring clean and looking neat. Don't waste the time and possible problems down the road for $25 bucks.  Pulling the wires inside the bars is a  2-3 beer install for sure.  Keep calm and trust me, they all fit !!.  The Video is worth watching for sure as well.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2015, 07:53:43 PM »

We just did a set of LA Choppers 10" twin Peaks on my Buddies 15- SG. The stock Brake and Clutch lines were fine. Just move around the wiring as needed and it will  give you enough play in the cables.  For all of the time it took (3 hrs) I am glad he bought the wire extensions.  You can cut all of the stock wire ties off ( and there is a Chitt ton) and that will give you a few inches more line but it still seemed like it would have been real tight.  The plug and play extensions are the way to go for the money. Keeps the wiring clean and looking neat. Don't waste the time and possible problems down the road for $25 bucks.  Pulling the wires inside the bars is a  2-3 beer install for sure.  Keep calm and trust me, they all fit !!.  The Video is worth watching for sure as well.

Thanks for the 1st hand info!! Does the TBW connector fit also? FYI..I did not watch the video yet so sorry if this is answered in that.

J Heinlein

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #103 on: September 07, 2015, 08:02:59 PM »

yep, no problem on the TBW . My bad for not mentioning it. 

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2015, 08:18:57 PM »

Mike,
Defintely watch the video if you get a chance. He doesn't address the TBW as far as running it through the bars. Some good tips in there which will make the install go smooth. I just finished up installing a set of 10" Yaffe's this morning. On those bars the right side was a PITA to run the wires through. I ran the TBW through first and followed with the switch wires.

I did purchase a set of Namz 4" extensions which I needed. I choose NOT to un install the stock plugs for the switches from the shelf under the radio.

If you need an extra set of hands gimmie a call.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 24 queries.