Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Lowering front end  (Read 5100 times)

jcd520

Re: Lowering front end
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2010, 02:52:34 PM »

Question------------I am of the opinion and have been told by dealers that the SESG2 is only lowered in the rear. It has the new shocks pictured on page 431 of the Accessories catalog(premium ride hand adjustable low touring shocks) which state that a bike can be lowered by up to 3/4 of an inch by using them. So the 2011 SESG 2 is lowered by 3/4 of an inch in the rear and I am told is stock height in the front----------Anybody been told differently? I do know the stock flhx bikes are lowered all the way around. CD

Retro 11

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2010, 10:09:21 PM »

If I knew how to make pics smaller I would post my 08 sg lowered 1 in with HD lowering kit. If any one wants to see it shoot me an E mail I will send pics.
             Retro 11

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2010, 10:20:40 PM »

Question------------I am of the opinion and have been told by dealers that the SESG2 is only lowered in the rear. It has the new shocks pictured on page 431 of the Accessories catalog(premium ride hand adjustable low touring shocks) which state that a bike can be lowered by up to 3/4 of an inch by using them. So the 2011 SESG 2 is lowered by 3/4 of an inch in the rear and I am told is stock height in the front----------Anybody been told differently? I do know the stock flhx bikes are lowered all the way around. CD

I believe you have it backwards.  The regular Street Glides are lowered in the rear only, and the CVO versions are lowered front and rear.  The following is from the Harley catalog for the front end lowering kit:

Profile® Low Touring Front Lowering Kit

Place the rider's feet firmly on the ground. This kit utilizes components designed to provide a 1" decrease in ride height.  This product is available in multiple variations. Be sure to look for the one that fits the specific model and year of your motorcycle.

54564-09

Fits '09-later Touring models (except FLHR, FLHRC, FLHP, FLHPE, FLTRSE3, FLHXSE/2 and Trike models). Must only be installed on vehicles equipped with Profile® Low Touring Shocks P/N 54635-09. Can be installed on FLHX and FLTRX models with Original Equipment rear shocks.

MSRP US $149.95

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Retro 11

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 08:53:46 AM »

Jerry
Are you saying that the SESG is lowered in the front from the factory? I have not seen anything that says that is is. I hope you are right. does anyone know if th SE sit"s lower then reg SG?
             Retro 11

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 03:14:56 PM »

Jerry
Are you saying that the SESG is lowered in the front from the factory? I have not seen anything that says that is is. I hope you are right. does anyone know if th SE sit"s lower then reg SG?
             Retro 11

The front suspension springs and dampers on the FLHX are the same as what is on the standard ElectraGlide.  The FLHXSE has a different spring listed in the parts catalog.  So I believe that supports my original statement that the FLHX is not lowered in the front, while the FLHXSE is lowered.

There is more to the equation than just the front suspension.  There is also a difference in the seats between the FLHX and the FLHXSE, and I've found over the years that seat design can affect how well those of us with short inseams can reach the ground just as much if not more than a one inch difference in suspension height/ground clearance. 

If you need a little more help to feel fully comfortable, I would recommend first looking at your footwear.  Boots with a thicker high traction sole made a world of difference for me when trying to manuever my bike.  Then consider a different or custom seat to let you sit lower or with a narrower front section to let you get your legs down straighter.  The very last resort should be further lowering of the suspension, since it could have handling and safety repercussions.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Retro 11

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2010, 04:41:31 PM »

Thanks for the info,cant wait to sit on one, I have not ridden any of the new SG since I bought mine in 08.
                        Retro 11

slotbike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2010, 06:05:41 PM »

Retro,

EVEN THOUGH THE CVO (FLHXSE2) IS LOWERED FRONT AND REAR ALREADY, THE ACTUAL SEAT HEIGHT IS SLIGHTLY HIGHER THAN A STOCK FLHX. THE O9/10/11 (WITH THE NEW FRAMES) ARE ALSO SLIGHTLY HIGHER THAN YOUR 08 SINCE THE EXHAUST HAD TO BE RUN UNDER THE FRAME.

G

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2010, 06:24:56 PM »

Thanks for the info,cant wait to sit on one, I have not ridden any of the new SG since I bought mine in 08.
                        Retro 11

You're in for a very pleasant surprise.  The new (09 and up) baggers are improved leaps and bounds over the old chassis.  I didn't have any intentions of buying a new bike but made the mistake of riding my wife's 09 Street Glide in the mountains.  Put a deposit down in early 09 for first pick of the 2010 CVOs.  The rest is history. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.