Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tank emblems coming off for the second time  (Read 2884 times)

pooj10

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Street Glide (Stage IV)
    • CVO3: BMW K1600B
Tank emblems coming off for the second time
« on: November 16, 2015, 09:16:03 PM »

I was wondering if anyone else is having the same problem I am with the fuel tank emblems peeling back from the adhesive. This will be the second time this has happened to me on the 2015 Carbon Crystal mid year release. It seems to always starts on the right front emblem. My dealer has a very good technician, so I highly doubt it was the quality of his work since it happened right from the factory as well.

15FLHXSE

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WV

Re: Tank emblems coming off for the second time
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 02:15:58 PM »

Yep, I had mine replaced 3 times!  Seems the 3rd time was a charm as it hasn't come un-glued yet (of course, it hasn't been real hot either).  What they told me they did to resolve the issue may not make you happy though. 

The first two times before taking the old emblem completly off, they marked the tank with tape for the correct (factory) location.  The 3rd time, they actually moved them emblem a millimeter or so (I think forward) to fit the curve of the tank better. Their theory/explanation is that Harley was off a little when applying it at the factory.

Seems to work, and I haven't noticed an eye-ball difference in symmetry from side to side...but, I haven't got a tape out and measured it either (because it will bug the sh!t out of me).

Good luck

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 04:02:44 PM »

Yep, I had mine replaced 3 times!  Seems the 3rd time was a charm as it hasn't come un-glued yet (of course, it hasn't been real hot either).  What they told me they did to resolve the issue may not make you happy though. 

The first two times before taking the old emblem completly off, they marked the tank with tape for the correct (factory) location.  The 3rd time, they actually moved them emblem a millimeter or so (I think forward) to fit the curve of the tank better. Their theory/explanation is that Harley was off a little when applying it at the factory.

Seems to work, and I haven't noticed an eye-ball difference in symmetry from side to side...but, I haven't got a tape out and measured it either (because it will bug the sh!t out of me).

Good luck

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

If the emblem doesn't match the curve of the surface of the tank, it will always be under stress.  Eventually the bond will fail, the only question becomes which bond is weaker, the one of the tape to the nameplate, or the one of the tape to the tank.

After marking the "stock" location for reference the installer should lay the new part up against the tank before pulling the backing of the adhesive and move it around slightly until finding the location that allows the nameplate or molding to lay against the tank with no gaps (don't apply pressure to the plate).  Mark that location.  If you can't find such a location, either get a new nameplate or gently bend the one you have until it will lay up against the tank with no gaps.

The problem could be the factory didn't locate the nameplates correctly in the plant, or it could be the nameplates weren't made with the correct contour to match the tank, or even the contour of the tank could vary.  Getting them to stay in place may require a little more work than just taking them out of the box and slapping them on the tank.  Once you get them to lay up against the tank with no gap, then it's just a case of prepping the surface properly and applying the nameplate with even pressure along the entire length of the plate.  Warming both the tank surface and the nameplate will also help to obtain a better bond. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

68 XLCH

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 10:04:48 AM »

I have always liked a nicely painted tank vs an emblem.  But many folks like the emblems.

The CVO emblem is a nice one.

Having said that, there is no question that the emblem must be located so that it conforms to the tank curvature.

The dealers fix of slightly moving it to the correct location was necessary.
2015 CVO Street Glide Hard Candy Merc/Smoky Qtz Flames, Stage 1, Fulsac pipes, V&H 450's, Passing Lights, CD front turn Signals.

Retired Army and State Police

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 10:35:40 AM »

Lost one last summer on my 2015 RGU.  Dealer replaced without problem after special ordering it in.  Mine came lose of the glue holding the outer metal to a plastic filler underneath.  The plastic filler to tank stayed tight.  Guess we'll see if it survives next summer.  I'd love to change them out to the sreamin eagle head emblems but probably wont do that until warranty quits replacing them.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 05:17:20 PM »

I liked the Screamin Eagle head better than the others.  :2vrolijk_21:

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 12:12:37 PM »

3m makes a very good product called adhesion promoter.http://www.amazon.com/3M-Adhesion-Promoter-Sponge-Applicator/dp/B004TGJU2A This stuff makes 2 faced tape stick like a hot blonde to a rich mans wallet!
T-MAN 117 kit

pooj10

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Street Glide (Stage IV)
    • CVO3: BMW K1600B
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 02:22:31 PM »

Thank for all the replies and advice! The dealer is working on it this week, had to replace the front outer fairing as well do to a paint issue. I was beginning to this I was the only one who had this problem.

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.