Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Inner Faring Rain Cover That You Can Ride With  (Read 7096 times)

Bohemian

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NV

Inner Faring Rain Cover That You Can Ride With
« on: March 27, 2016, 12:02:54 PM »

2013 CVO Road Glide Custom FLTRXSE2 Atomic Orange/Galaxy Gray ...

Is there such an animal?

I have not had much luck on google looking for a rain cover for the inner faring, that I can use while riding, to protect stereo etc.

I have a rain cover for entire bike, when I have to park in open that works fine, but anybody that has been to Sturgis knows you can often count on getting rained on at some point, while riding. Moreover, its about a 1100 mile trip for me one-way, so I usually end up getting rained on in-route going through Colorado every time anyway...

I'm visualizing something that covers all or most of faring, and maybe has clear, panels to see gauges, and stereo with, with maybe a zipper to open & close to get to stereo with.

Maybe a good product idea for someone, seems to be a hole in market for something along those lines.

Thanks in advance.

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
Re: Inner Faring Rain Cover That You Can Ride With
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 12:24:19 PM »

Why?
Stereo and gauges have no problem with the rain. Let it get wet  :nixweiss:

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 12:27:04 PM »

I see no reason or value to such a thing.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 12:36:05 PM »

As a self proclaimed Road Glide guy I see no reason for such a thing. Everything factory is waterproof. A cover with panels combined with the heat of the motor and the cool rain seems like it'd fog up almost immediately. I have a wet weather cover for my aftermarket radio that works just fine. The speakers and gauges will more than likely take more water than I will......
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

ATGuinness

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra Burgundy Blaze / Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 12:41:33 PM »

I have to agree with the pervious replies.  The bikes are built to be ridden in the elements.  I've put in some 200,000 miles on three bikes and have never had a problem with water affecting any of the instruments or radios.  I don't even cover the bike at night.  Seems to me that a cover like you've described would be far more trouble than it's worth.
The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.   – Robert Heinlein

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 01:06:59 PM »

Like the above replies I just don't see the need. If you had something that would work it would have to be really tight to not be flapping in the wind, then if it was really tight it's going to be rubbing the painted inner (either way you are risking cosmetic damage)....  IMO not worth it... bike is made to be ridden in the rain (even though I don't like it but expect it if/when I'm travelling).

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Bohemian

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NV

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 01:14:59 PM »

As a self proclaimed Road Glide guy I see no reason for such a thing. Everything factory is waterproof. A cover with panels combined with the heat of the motor and the cool rain seems like it'd fog up almost immediately. I have a wet weather cover for my aftermarket radio that works just fine. The speakers and gauges will more than likely take more water than I will......

thanks for the info...

I would tend to agree that the gauges are water proof, but agree to disagree that the the stereo or many of the toggle switches are 100% waterproof. IMHO they are water resistant but not water proof...

Case in point, had a unexpected fast moving storm rip through town a few weeks ago, that dumped a lot of hard, heavy rain & wind in a few minutes and was blown out of town very quickly.
Long story short my bike got drenched while I was in store for about 20 minutes and had it uncovered in parking lot...
There was only like a 10% chance of rain that day; it did not look like it was going to rain when I left the house.

Anyway water was pooled up on LCD of stereo etc., I left it turned off, took it out & disassembled it, and it had water inside of it...
I blew it out with compressed air and left it sit for a week before I put any power to it; and all was good...

In addition, many toggle switches had varying amounts of moisture in them, which I also blew out with compressed air, not sure having any moisture whatsoever is a good idea anywhere there's electricity...

I have the BOOM™ BUDDIES LID SPEAKER GRILL COVERS from http://www.hogcovers.com/ but of course I did not have them on, because rain of any consequence was unexpected, there was water on top of speakers and I blew them out too with compressed air. Apparently the speakers h-d puts in CVO bags are made of some water-resistant material; after I blew them off & put stereo back in a week later, I see know ill effects with speakers or anything else; visibly or otherwise.

For same reason aforesaid I did not have my screaming eagle air filter rain sock on and my air-cleaner element was soaked & had to blow it out as well.

Any chance that wet weather cover for your aftermarket radio might work for the factory one? have any info on where to buy one? link(s)?

thanks in advance.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 04:03:09 PM »

seems to be a hole in market for something along those lines.

there's a 'hole in the market' for that, because there isn't a need for that.  sure, these bikes are our 'babies', and we want to take good care of them, but they are made to run out in the elements.  now, if there's a hurricane, you might want to avoid that, but regular rainstorms will not hurt your bike.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 05:29:56 PM »

Any chance that wet weather cover for your aftermarket radio might work for the factory one? have any info on where to buy one? link(s)?

thanks in advance.

I am sure one could be made. I run a double DIN fairing so mine wouldn't help. I machined one for my 01 that worked great, couldn't see through it though....

2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Major Tom

• Senior CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: Blue n Blue 2015 FLTRUSE - Lucille
    • CVO2: Grey n' Black 2011 FLTRUSE - Bertha (Sold)
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 08:05:18 PM »

Hello Bohemian,

Agree with previous posts, especially that the bike will take more water than the rider! Water is part of the experience and they are designed/made to be in weather. Have ridden all of my previous bikes in plenty of lousy weather over extended periods (days not hours) and not had any issues apart from hitting a large body of water lying on the road at a fair lick of speed when it wasn't raining. They definitely don't like being partially submerged or high pressure water into some areas as subsequent issues I had with that bike proved.  I worry more about having good tyres, functional wet weather gear and glasses/goggles/screen that won't fog than Lucille getting an extra shower.

Didn't see what year your bike was mate but if the bike has warranty then take it in to your dealer if water is getting in where it shouldn't.

Another option is a covered trailer? hehe

We are planning to run up to Sturgis through Colorado this year so we may catch up on the road somewhere.

Keep the meat on the seat!

Cheers

Major Tom

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 09:04:31 PM »

I have had three CVO road glides, they were all ridden 1525 miles one way to Sturgis.  They have all been in sever down pours, the 12 to the point the rain was coming down so hard and going through rain sock I was having trouble keeping the bike running.  Yet no issues with the electronics in the dash.

I road the 09 CVO RG 627 miles in the rain to Daytona no issues.

They 15 was in the worst down pour I have ever seen at Sturgis for the 75th.  So much rain came down in 15 minutes that water on Lazzel St was deeper the curb height.  No issues with the dash electronics or gages.  Three hours later in Belle Foursch at our hotel I was in the second worst Hail storm I have ever seen.  5700 dollars of hail damage to my bike, no issues with the head unit or gages or dash on my 15 CVO Road Glide.  There was also 5200 dollars worth of damage to my wife's 15 Road Glide special but no issues with the dash or gages or head unit.

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 09:36:07 PM »

I have been on this site now since summer of '04 first as a lurker, then as member, some of the posts I have felt were only listed to get a rise out of the true riders and "stimulate" discussion. But this one,,, but dude do you really think this was necessary? Bikes are meant to be ridden in the rain and cleaned up afterwards...with water.

LV76

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLTRUSE traded in
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE traded in
    • CVO3: 16 FLTRUSE
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 06:54:59 AM »

I have been on this site now since summer of '04 first as a lurker, then as member, some of the posts I have felt were only listed to get a rise out of the true riders and "stimulate" discussion. But this one,,, but dude do you really think this was necessary? Bikes are meant to be ridden in the rain and cleaned up afterwards...with water.

Here, here.

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 11:50:42 PM »

I have had three CVO road glides, they were all ridden 1525 miles one way to Sturgis.  They have all been in sever down pours, the 12 to the point the rain was coming down so hard and going through rain sock I was having trouble keeping the bike running.  Yet no issues with the electronics in the dash.

I road the 09 CVO RG 627 miles in the rain to Daytona no issues.

They 15 was in the worst down pour I have ever seen at Sturgis for the 75th.  So much rain came down in 15 minutes that water on Lazzel St was deeper the curb height.  No issues with the dash electronics or gages.  Three hours later in Belle Foursch at our hotel I was in the second worst Hail storm I have ever seen.  5700 dollars of hail damage to my bike, no issues with the head unit or gages or dash on my 15 CVO Road Glide.  There was also 5200 dollars worth of damage to my wife's 15 Road Glide special but no issues with the dash or gages or head unit.

I was in that '15 rainstorm too!  Coming back from Rushmore we got caught on the freeway with no shelter in sight as all the underpasses were already occupied.  We stopped twice, once to don rain gear and a second time because the wind was blowing so hard we couldn't ride.  Even sitting on an off ramp, the wind was trying to blow the bikes off the stands.  We ended up saying screw it, and rode in it for 30 or so minutes back to the Chip where we were staying.  No hail damage luckily, but danged near dumped the bike turning into our camper row with the mud.
2016 CVO RGU, Stardust Silver/Palladium Silver, VH Pipes and American Custom headers, VH Tuner, Klock Werks windshield, Harley Boom II Sound System

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2016, 10:39:30 AM »

Some people use painters tape to protect radio from rain
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 24 queries.