Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reducing Full face noise!  (Read 3034 times)

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
Reducing Full face noise!
« on: May 31, 2016, 12:34:42 AM »

Ok, this is all going to boil down to reducing noise in a full face helmet.
I just got back a long 2 day trip mostly on highway. My helmet is set up with a Harley headset so I really enjoy listening to music going down the road. I started with wearing my custom molded ear plugs. They work great but the volume has to be up all the way to hear anything. I'm afraid I'm going to blow the speakers so I went with foam plugs. A little better but still have to have the volume up pretty high.
The noise I'm experiencing is from 2  sources, wind/buffeting and exhaust. I've got a windshield I'm just looking over and my exhaust is from Fullsac 1.75 baffles. Cat is gone and a TTS tuner installed. I did notice a lot of noise from my right ear from the muffler.
So here's my question,
1. Would ear plugs with a lower decibel level help with reducing the stereo volume and still give me enough ear protection?
2. What would be the disadvantages of putting the stock mufflers back on?  And here's one thought, could I put a stock muffler on the right side and the Fullsac 1.75" on the left? Still allowing and little sound but making it easier for noise?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 12:42:36 AM by Fireguy »

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
Re: Reducing Full face noise!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 10:15:01 AM »

What kind of helmet are you using? My bike is set up similar to your description. I have several helmets from different manufacturers and the sound level is different in each of them. The quietest I own is an Arai, can't remember the model off the top of my head. The Shoei Neotec, which I wear the most, is fairly quiet but due to it being a modular it creates its own wind noise.

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 10:26:19 AM »

Mine is a shoei quest.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 10:31:53 AM »

If you ride all the time with a full face helmet maybe a shorter windshield will break the turbulence and vacuum created by a bigger shield and make it quieter for you?
Other way is to try another helmet such as the Schuberth which is supposed to be one of the quietest on the market.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/schuberth-c3-pro-helmet

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 02:26:15 PM »

Musicians earplugs with a 15 or 20 FB filter should do it. Don't try the foam stuff. It cuts all sound at the same level.

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 06:40:14 PM »

I went to the local music store and picked up some "impact noise reducers" 18 dB noise reduction rating. I'll have to give them a try and give you my feedback after I go for a ride.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 01:39:13 PM »

Shoie GT air have bought several of the past few years once moving to TX  Yes its that bad ha ha   I have found this one to be by far the best , Tinted flipped down visor, and zero buffeting and no wind noise to speak of , add a blue tooth unit to it and install your speakers inside . Massive air flow, anti fog .. its really is a outstanding helmet
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 01:53:15 PM »

its really is a outstanding helmet

X2 on the Shoei GT-Air. I find my helmet to be fairly quiet at interstate speeds and it's reasonably comfortable for long periods. I haven't owned another full face in recent times to compare it with though, and wear ear plugs.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 01:56:56 PM »

As some of you know, I fancy myself a musician so my hearing is very important. I don't ride around the block without ear plugs. I have tried all of them and these work best for me. The "No Noise" ear plugs have a ceramic filter which seem to allow the music through while cutting wind and motor noise.

No Noise Era Plugs

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 05:08:40 PM »

Some full face helmets seem to work better on a naked bike than they do behind a windshield.  I owned one in the past that was fine without a windshield, but on the e-glide it wasn't just noisy but it also shook my head as the dirty air off the shield buffeted the helmet.  Unfortunately they don't tell you these things in the advertising.  If you have a different height windshield in your inventory, try installing it and see if it makes any difference with that helmet.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 24 queries.