Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2011 110 cam/lifters/heads what's right for the 54  (Read 3138 times)

JPK455

2011 110 cam/lifters/heads what's right for the 54
« on: May 29, 2012, 12:40:23 PM »

To start off I am no mechanic I have a 2011 Cvo street glide I changed head pipe and baffles to fulsack set up 2" baffles put that in myself  put new map in runs great but still not real happy were the power is i hardley ride 2 up and never pull a trailer I did buy the 54h cams and 030 gasket and Here is we're my problem starts I am not comfortable putting cams in myself bike has 10000 miles

So here are my questions

1. Would you pull heads and just swap gasket and put cam in?
2. Just cut push rods and use adjustable and not swap gasket and put cam in?
3. Would you replace lifters when doing cam swap?
4. Replace valve springs when heads are off and mill heads to 0 deck Change lifters when putting cams in?
5. Leave it alone and spend money on a good tune and just ride the f#%%}^{%}%#% thing

Mech I am taking it to says not worth pulling heads to put .030 gasket in, if pulling heads he would 0 deck them to get proper squish. Says there could be issue if carbon build up and just swaping gasket could be an issue.

I just want to do this once and want a realiable bike that will need to run on bad gas every once in a while. I am not wanting different cam options I am going to use the 54

Your suggestions will be very much appreciated

Thanks in advance JPK

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
Re: 2011 110 cam/lifters/heads what's right for the 54
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 12:51:51 PM »

I've done numerous cam jobs, I generally always pull the heads and do the gasket swap. Not one of the bikes I have done has had any complaints or issues. Did two last week and the owners are praising their Fullsac Stage ll set ups! Only thing I see I would have done differently is 2 1/4 baffles. You shouldn't have any issues with only 10000 miles with anything.
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 02:12:35 PM »

I've done numerous cam jobs, I generally always pull the heads and do the gasket swap. Not one of the bikes I have done has had any complaints or issues. Did two last week and the owners are praising their Fullsac Stage ll set ups! Only thing I see I would have done differently is 2 1/4 baffles. You shouldn't have any issues with only 10000 miles with anything.

:2vrolijk_21:
Only thing I could comment on is the size of the baffles.......IMO, the 2 1/4 are too loud!
Reality is that your HP/TQ will change very little between the baffle sizes.
I have the small ones, and probably lose about 1-2 HP....I can live with that, the bike runs very well.
 8)
HOGMIKE

Sea Biscuit

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 03:30:47 PM »

Well, I`m going to play Devil`s Advocate and tell you option 5…``Leave it alone and drive the crap out of it``!

To be honest with you, I have been going through the same dilemma.

I have the Fullsac ``C`` pipe, 2`` cores and TTS (with Steve`s map) sitting at home waiting on me for a decision as I keep thinking about a cam.

I know Steve at Fullsac is a big fan and loves the Andrews 54 cam and I have nothing but high respect for him and love his product and dedication, but I just can`t do that cam…I know a couple of people with them and they like, but don`t love them, and have admitted to me that they wish they would have just stayed with the stock Screaming Eagle 255 cam (and no, I don`t work for the MOCO)! That 255 cam is a great torque producer in the lower rpm and is really quite good, especially on a well-tuned Harley.

I tend to ride in the 2,000-4,500 rpm range (the odd time in the 5,000 rpm range when Bob Seeger is playing on the stereo…Dire Straits works too :))and that Andrews 54 cam pulls horsepower and torque to the right more than I would like but if you tend to ride in the higher rpm, then that cam may be for you. It really all depends on your riding style.

However if you are going to do the Andrews 54 cam, then I would definitely pull the heads and change the head gasket…that cam does need more compression and I believe the gasket change also helps in other areas as well (talk to Steve at Fullsac on this…he recommends the gasket change for more reasons than just compression).

I`m still toying around with the idea of a cam…just want something like the 255 but not an ``EPA`` cam if that makes sense,…just with more torque and horsepower in the lower rpm range (we can never have enough, can we!)…I have been looking at the new Andrews 57H cam and on paper, looks like it would suit me, but just waiting on some real life experiences before pulling the wallet out…Steve, how about trying one with your setup for the CVO forum members…pretty please!!! :)

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 04:24:54 PM »

JPK455, I have Fulsac stage1map, HD open air cleaner with K&N filter, nocathead pipe I bought off site member, and the 1.75 baffles. I love the way it works, it pulls strong , even with passenger and luggage. Gas mileage is fine. I have noticed the 1.75 baffles are getting a little louder since some of the packing I left in has probably burned away. Regarding your questions I would go along with Sea Biscuit and drive your bike until something breaks and then take it apart and do your changes. The 255 cams with the stage one set up pull great from really down low even with passenger and luggage. I also thought about going to stage 2 map and andrews 54, and .030 but after reading numerous dyno charts it doesn't seem like you get a lot more HP and Torque for the amount of money you are going to spend compared to the stage one set up. I have been thru this delimma with my last Harley and I came to realize that I should have left well enough alone. JMHO CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 06:00:36 PM »

So let me get this straight, you are not happy with where the power starts and you are changing the stock cam to a 54. I think you will be in for disappointment #2. Consider a head mill .030, spring change (lighter), .030 HG, lifters changed and the new 57

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 06:06:00 PM »

I agree with everyone else. From what I have read before, the 54's need the thinner gasket, so if you're going to pull the heads, you might as well do some headwork, and if you're going to pull the heads, you should probably re-ring the pistons and re-hone the cylinders, etc, etc.

I decided for myself if things are going to come apart, it will be just the one time, whenever that may be.

Spend the cash you would have spent on the cam, and get a good custom dyno tune.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 06:07:00 PM »

Which tuner do you use, and what part of Canada are you from?
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

JPK455

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 07:11:43 PM »

D
So let me get this straight, you are not happy with where the power starts and you are changing the stock cam to a 54. I think you will be in for disappointment #2. Consider a head mill .030, spring change (lighter), .030 HG, lifters changed and the new 57
Correct Don I am used to my Dyna 95 and heads were done by Dewey  and it really has long legs this new ride low end is great but the legs get tired quickly, funny that you mention the 57 I just talked about them today with the shop that will be doing the work, I am leaning towards putting the 54 cams on the shelf and getting a good tune driving for the summer. Then this fall look at doing what you just said "Thanks for your input"

Sask- R and L is the shop that will be doing the work and tune. They have been good to me in the past and do honest work, They did a good job tuning my last bike and my buddies 107 HQ build they dialed it in real good for him. If you have suggestions of other tuners always willing to take a look.

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 09:46:01 PM »

DCorrect Don I am used to my Dyna 95 and heads were done by Dewey  and it really has long legs this new ride low end is great but the legs get tired quickly, funny that you mention the 57 I just talked about them today with the shop that will be doing the work, I am leaning towards putting the 54 cams on the shelf and getting a good tune driving for the summer. Then this fall look at doing what you just said "Thanks for your input"

Sask- R and L is the shop that will be doing the work and tune. They have been good to me in the past and do honest work, They did a good job tuning my last bike and my buddies 107 HQ build they dialed it in real good for him. If you have suggestions of other tuners always willing to take a look.

No suggestions since you're in Saskatchewan- thought you might have been local.
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 06:54:37 AM »

Set it at 10.4 cr, with headwork, and install a T-Man .625.
Scott

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 06:15:43 PM »

Translation Spend $$$
There are less expensive routes to take just to fix the torque curve and cool them down a little but if you have it to burn have at it. Most are pleased with just the right minor changes to the 110 and then if they want 120hp plus there is an easy way to get that too with the HD SE259 10.5 pistons and head work.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 06:58:51 AM »

That translation too, requires the wallet to open.
No free lunch.
Scott

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 07:43:56 PM »

This was $2300 parts owner performed the labor, had the pipe and tuner already

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 06:51:30 AM »

Sounds about average.
Scott

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 25 queries.