Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NOT the usual tour pak question(s)  (Read 5022 times)

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
NOT the usual tour pak question(s)
« on: November 27, 2009, 08:50:16 AM »

Installing my new chopped tour pak ( painted in the SERG silver), anyway, three questions have come up,

1) Directions say tour pak comes with one of two emblems on lid, HD Motorcycles, or FLTRSE3, of course mine has the HD emblem, has anyone ever seen/gotten their tour pak with the SERG label, and how do I get it now?

2) I installed the rider backrest, SERG part number, seems to me it is too far away from the tour pak lid ( daylight between pad, and lid ) is this normal?

3) There are two strips of black tape ( paint protectors) on top of lid. My problem is they sit further back than the back rest pad. I recognize they are for a full size ultra style tour pak, has anyone seen this, and had luck removing them without damaging paint, (seem to have strong adhesive on fresh paint).

As usual, thanks for any help you can provide, 
                                                                      William                                                         

Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: NOT the usual tour pak question(s)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 08:57:10 AM »

1 - good luck getting the fltrse3 one. I tried through my dealer and failed. The parts mgr. just shook his head @ harley.
2 - agreed. sits away from the lid but it works fine.
3 - i removed mine and placed them more toward the front. don't remember any particular problems doing this. you'll want to reuse them because the overlap contacts the top, especially when there is a passenger.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 11:18:04 AM »

Installing my new chopped tour pak ( painted in the SERG silver), anyway, three questions have come up,

1) Directions say tour pak comes with one of two emblems on lid, HD Motorcycles, or FLTRSE3, of course mine has the HD emblem, has anyone ever seen/gotten their tour pak with the SERG label, and how do I get it now?

2) I installed the rider backrest, SERG part number, seems to me it is too far away from the tour pak lid ( daylight between pad, and lid ) is this normal?

3) There are two strips of black tape ( paint protectors) on top of lid. My problem is they sit further back than the back rest pad. I recognize they are for a full size ultra style tour pak, has anyone seen this, and had luck removing them without damaging paint, (seem to have strong adhesive on fresh paint).

As usual, thanks for any help you can provide, 
                                                                      William                                                         

I bought a Chopped Electric Orange for my '09 SERG.  It came with nothing other than the Tour-Pak.  I bought the two up rack and the LED spoiler, but so far no decals or emblems on it of any sort.

Mine had the two black tape pieces also.  I just pealed them up and put them on the lid under the rear portion of the back rest.  The three chopped Tour-Paks for the SERG's were never offered as a Ultra option for the larger back rest so I have no idea why the protector strips were put where there were.  They are a vinyl tape and peeled off without any issues and stuck back on with no problem.  I had to move mine a second time, again without any issues peeling and re-sticking them.

The back rests come with dual ended rubber vibration mounts and I'm sure they are designed for a certain amount of "give" or movement for the backrest to stay clear of the Tour-Pak.  I may have the same clearance on mine, but it was never anything that seemed unusual to me.

I just want to get something on the back of the Tour-Pak like the person here that had Screamin' Egale hand painted on the back.  That is way cool.

One thing that I had an issue with on my old bike, '08 SERK, when I put the leather Tour-Pak on was that it was way too far forward for my wife and I.  I re-drilled the mounting plate about an inch further back and that helped, but not quite enough.  I bought the Kuryakyn "U" adapter that moved the Tour-Pak back another couple inches and that was sweet for both of us.  On the chopped SERG Tour-Pak, it was forward too far as well.  The instructions for mounting the Tour-Pak to the rack was not all that clear and they even showed some other type of mounting bracket along with the predrilled holes that don't even come close to the holes in the two up rack.  So I mounted my two up rack farther forward on the Tour-Pak and that gave me the extra inches we needed.  I had to drill four holes in the metal reinforcement plate, but I'm you all had to do the same thing to mount the Tour-Pak.

Good luck with your Tour-Pak.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Bill Golightly

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 12:09:18 PM »

I have a king pak, but the passenger back rest has a different part number than the regular '09s. It did not look right when I picked it up, and I complained. The SM checked it out, got the right piece, and the extra space is gone now. This may also be the case for a chopped pak. A number check is just a phone call.
Bill in Stone Mountain

HawgSounds

• The Ultimate in Harley Sound Systems
  • Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
  • The Ultimate in Harley Davidson Sound Systems

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2005 CVO Electric Glide
    • www.hawgsounds.com
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 08:43:13 PM »

Answer #1 - I you order the SERG Chopped tour pack. It comes whit an emblem in silver grey color that says Harley Davidson Motor Company. This color emblem is limited to SERG.

Answer #2 - The backrest should sit right at the edge of the top of the tourpack. The bottom the backrest does have a gap between the lower tour pack and the pad.

Answer #3 - Again, Did you order the tour pack for the SERG or a regular tour pack for a RG. This might be the difference.
Motorcycles Unlimited -Hawg Sounds
269 S Beverly Drive Unit 201
Beverly Hills, Ca 90212
1-877-888-2788

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 08:02:48 PM »

FOR GODS SAKE THE  BLACK STUFF IS JUST 3M Vinyl tape, same crap used in vinyl lettering, stripe packages, sides of buses, whatever, Just peel it off, use a little heat first if you want, or don't, just throw it away, get some more or do like most people and use Clear, Clear is the same stuff, just clear. Put it where ever you want it. Measure it??? What is going on?? It is to keep the backrest from gouging the paint when someone (passenger) leans back and backrest comes in contact with tourpak lid.
Every sign shop in the world has a scrap of clear, or black and I am sure you have some scissors.

jchildr

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 11:37:30 PM »

WOW CVODON. Sorry to bother you.

rascal1007

• Full CVO Member

• CVO2: 2018 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 02:43:03 PM »

Had these custom made because I couldn't buy VIN protected parts

rascal1007

• Full CVO Member

• CVO2: 2018 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 02:45:52 PM »

Could not buy "screamin eagle" from HD so got this laser cut and made it into a brake light. Stock running/brake lights converted to running/signals.

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 24 queries.