Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Primary drain plug, is this normal?  (Read 4167 times)

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

Primary drain plug, is this normal?
« on: May 27, 2016, 11:19:26 PM »

I did the 10k primary oil change and sent the oil off for testing.  It came back marked CRITICAL .  The oil its self held up but the report show 800 for iron, 90 for aluminum, and 110 for silicon.  I know the primary will wear as it ages.  If I saw those numbers for the engine I would be very concerned. The engine oil and tranny looked great from the lab. I am just not sure of what to expect from a primary since this is my first Harley.  I haD 4or 5 metal scards 4mm long 1mm wide and as thin as cheap chrome plating stuck to the magnet, along with the expected gray slurry.  I have attached a pic from the net and I would say it is two to three times as bad as what I found.  For peace of mind I just need to know if this is normal?  See image
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
Re: Primary drain plug, is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 11:24:22 PM »

That is more than likely your compensator slowly wearing away. Common problem with them, although supposedly the newest version is improved  ::)

Maybe part of it is the new bike breaking in parts though.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 03:13:27 AM »

The gray sludge is all I have had so far with both compensators. Hopefully you are ok.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 08:28:23 AM »

If that was the first time you changed the primary fluid, I wouldn't worry too much about a relatively large clump of debris on the magnet.  If it looks that bad on the second change, then I'd say something is wearing more quickly than normal.

Don't forget when looking at the magnetic drain plugs for the primary and trans that those do not have any other form of filtration to remove particles, like the engine does.  I always expect to find more on the primary plug, less on the trans plug, and the least on the engine plug.  Since changing the primary design in 2007, the compensators do create a lot more debris.  Add to that the clutch material that wears off and it can look nasty.  Many have gone back to changing the primary every 5000 miles with the engine oil because of this.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 08:45:55 AM »

If that was the first time you changed the primary fluid, I wouldn't worry too much about a relatively large clump of debris on the magnet.  If it looks that bad on the second change, then I'd say something is wearing more quickly than normal.

Don't forget when looking at the magnetic drain plugs for the primary and trans that those do not have any other form of filtration to remove particles, like the engine does.  I always expect to find more on the primary plug, less on the trans plug, and the least on the engine plug.  Since changing the primary design in 2007, the compensators do create a lot more debris.  Add to that the clutch material that wears off and it can look nasty.  Many have gone back to changing the primary every 5000 miles with the engine oil because of this.

Jerry
Jerry
Thanks for your input.  I knew I'd see the gray sludge from the clutch, I was surprised by the metal shavings.  It is my quess that the shavings are from my comp.  I have had several instances on very hot days with a hot motor that it will do the dreaded compensator , THWACKK.    I have a theory,which could be all wrong ,that when it sits with a hot engine  for a short period if it stops during a compression stroke the ACR might stick,after being hot that sometimes the compression of the air in the cylinder may go up to the point the they won't open. It will THWACKK and backfire or fart through the intake and then it will start without any more issue.  Does that sound plausible?

This was a 10k change, I had it changed at 5k.

John
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 09:38:06 AM by Royalroadie »
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 01:39:54 PM »

Jerry
Thanks for your input.  I knew I'd see the gray sludge from the clutch, I was surprised by the metal shavings. It is my quess that the shavings are from my comp. I have had several instances on very hot days with a hot motor that it will do the dreaded compensator , THWACKK.    I have a theory,which could be all wrong ,that when it sits with a hot engine  for a short period if it stops during a compression stroke the ACR might stick,after being hot that sometimes the compression of the air in the cylinder may go up to the point the they won't open. It will THWACKK and backfire or fart through the intake and then it will start without any more issue.  Does that sound plausible?

This was a 10k change, I had it changed at 5k.

John

That would be a very good guess...   :)

It's not likely the ACR is sticking...  The TWACK could very well be due to your worn compensator...

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 08:00:08 AM »

If your starter sometimes hangs and makes grinding noises could be a cause besides the little wear of new chain and sprockets when both are added together.

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 02:03:18 PM »

Completely normal looking.
Will

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 11:38:48 PM »

Normal or Harley normal?
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

MLCRISIS

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 12:46:20 AM »

Harley normal, chit on the magnet seems to be the norm.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 08:27:48 AM »

Normal or Harley normal?

::)    Sad, but true.  Lots of stuff people wouldn't tolerate on other vehicles is considered "normal" on a Harley.  On a positive note, all those "normal" things have helped create and grow a huge Harley aftermarket to provide better stuff, creating many American jobs.  See, I'm not always negative.

Jerry ;)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 07:23:41 PM »

I did the 10k primary oil change and sent the oil off for testing.  It came back marked CRITICAL .  The oil its self held up but the report show 800 for iron, 90 for aluminum, and 110 for silicon.  I know the primary will wear as it ages.  If I saw those numbers for the engine I would be very concerned. The engine oil and tranny looked great from the lab. I am just not sure of what to expect from a primary since this is my first Harley.  I haD 4or 5 metal scards 4mm long 1mm wide and as thin as cheap chrome plating stuck to the magnet, along with the expected gray slurry.  I have attached a pic from the net and I would say it is two to three times as bad as what I found.  For peace of mind I just need to know if this is normal?  See image

Totally normal for a compensator going bye,bye..
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 08:28:55 PM »

Totally normal for a compensator going bye,bye..

It did!    Nuff said.
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 25 queries.