Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best suspension to keep stock ride height  (Read 3143 times)

1roadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

• CVO1: 2016 SE Streetglide
Best suspension to keep stock ride height
« on: May 28, 2016, 01:29:47 PM »

What is the best rear suspension for a 2016 CVO Street Glide that keeps the stock seat height? I want a better ride but want to keep the stock seat height if possible. 13 inch shocks with lowering blocks?

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
Re: Best suspension to keep stock ride height
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 01:54:18 PM »

Ohlins. Hands down the best.

1roadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 06:12:02 PM »

I was thinking ohlins or proaction. I'm just wondering if I can get the extra travel of 13 inch shocks with out raising the ride seat height. Stock is not bad 1 up but kills my passengers 2 up.

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 08:22:31 PM »

What is the best rear suspension for a 2016 CVO Street Glide that keeps the stock seat height? I want a better ride but want to keep the stock seat height if possible. 13 inch shocks with lowering blocks?

How many miles on your bike ? Mo Co's premium adjustables loosen up after some miles on them
1,0000 or so
I have a Ltd I put them on & was regretting the ride, she softened nicely. Also adjustment per body weight is critical too.
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

1roadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 12:36:55 AM »

They are bottoming. My 2013 ultra limited with hd premium rides was great but the 13 inch shock bumps up ride height.

1roadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 09:12:21 PM »

Opted for proaction 12inch body with 3 inches of travel. They where so easy to talk to and gave great advice. Built to my weight and passenger weight, fully adjustable and life time warranty. I will update with a review later.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 09:15:25 PM by 1roadking »

1roadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 10:01:43 AM »

Ok so I had to play around with adjustments on these shocks but now that I have,  I am really liking them and the service from Proaction. For anyone concerned about ease of adjusting spring pre-load, it's a non issue and can be done by hand quicker and easier then the HD premium rides:) I really like having more adjustment options and tune-ability.

1roadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 11:03:46 AM »

Update, I'm not crazy impressed with these shocks. I found a pretty good set up for 1 up but am struggling to find a sweet spot for 2 up. It's either harsh on smaller stuff or bottoms a lot  on bigger stuff. I feel like my stock shocks where as good 1 up but way to weak 1 up. I had 13inch HD premium adjust on my 2013 ultra limited and those where at least as good if not better. In fairness, these are 12 inch shocks but have the same 3 inches of travel. I'm thinking 13's would have been better, but I like the lower seat height.

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 08:34:09 PM »

One major reason you might be bottoming is because your preload isn't properly adjusted. If you have a 13 inch shock with 3 inches of travel you should set the preload (adjust the spring) so the distance from eye to eye on the shock is 12 inches. That means one inch of the shock travel is compressed and you have a proper setting for both rebound (1 inch upward) and compression (2 inches downward). If on the other hand you are carrying a passenger and luggage your preload might be set to 11 inches between eye to eye on the shock. That leaves you with only 1 inch of available compression which means you will be bottoming out much more often. Preload adjustment is critical no matter what type of shocks you own. I have Ohlins HD 159s on both of my bikes and they are the best shocks I have ever owned and I've tried too many to even admit.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 09:18:49 PM »

Update, I'm not crazy impressed with these shocks. I found a pretty good set up for 1 up but am struggling to find a sweet spot for 2 up. It's either harsh on smaller stuff or bottoms a lot  on bigger stuff. I feel like my stock shocks where as good 1 up but way to weak 1 up. I had 13inch HD premium adjust on my 2013 ultra limited and those where at least as good if not better. In fairness, these are 12 inch shocks but have the same 3 inches of travel. I'm thinking 13's would have been better, but I like the lower seat height.

That's more common than you may think.  The more adjustment options you have, the more chances to get something wrong unless you fully understand the interaction between the various settings.  IMHO by far the most important adjustment is spring preload, also called sag.  Work on getting that right for both single and two-up riding.  And it's not good enough to just "wing it" by cranking up the preload a few turns and going for a ride.  Actually measure the amount of sag under both riding conditions.  Rheiner gave you a good rule of thumb of 1/3 of total shock travel, and that's a good place to start.  Since it's not exactly easy to sit on the bike, single or two-up, and measure the shock lengths, making a simple fixture to turn it into a go/no go adjustment might help.  One idea I saw that seemed really good was to take some pvc pipe and a couple right angle fittings to make a device you can just slip over the shock bolt heads.  Make the tool so that the center to center distance between the right angle fittings matches the dimension you calculated previously, fully extended shock length minus 1/3 of the total travel for example.  Then you sit on the bike while your assistant adjusts the preload until the tool slips over both shock bolt heads, record that preload setting (number of turns, clicks, or whatever system your shocks use).  Now add the passenger and the amount of gear you will normally carry and have an assistant adjust the preload again, using the same tool, and record that setting.  Now you have your baseline preload settings for both riding modes.

Setting compression and rebound damping is more complicated, and hopefully the folks who built your shocks gave you the procedure they recommend for those settings for your weight(s) and how they set up the spring rates.  Too much compression damping can cause harshness on jounce and too much rebound damping can result in packing down of the suspension on stutter bumps, for instance.  Too little rebound damping can cause topping out and a kind of pogo effect.  In other words, it's complicated to get all the settings working together for the best overall result.  After owning a highly adjustable suspension on a bike years ago, I've never felt the need to buy another.  If I was racing then yes, having all the adjustments available can make a difference.

Before you give up on those shocks, see if you can get some help with those damping settings.  Once you get them set right, it shouldn't be necessary to constantly screw with them.

JMHO - Jerry
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 08:58:17 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 10:20:52 PM »

I agree with Jerry that winging it is definitely not smart to adjust spring preload (sag), and that compression and rebound adjustments are the hardest to dial in. Some of the cheaper shocks don't have rebound or compression adjustments, only spring preload. Others have only preload and rebound.

On the preload, it's very difficult to make adjustments by yourself and even with another person it's very hard. The way I solve the problem is to buy 40 or 50 pound bags of soft water rock salt. First I get the bike upright in a lift with the rear wheel off the ground to accurately check the amount of distance between the eye bolts on the shock. Then I use my wheel vice to keep the bike level and remove the jack under the frame and I start putting bags of salt on the rider's seat until it equals my weight. I give the tour-pak several up and down motions to get the shocks and springs to settle into their natural spot with the added weight. At that point I do the adjustments on spring preload, making sure I make the exact amount of adjustment on each shock. Give the shocks another shake up and down to make sure the springs settle. Once I have it set correctly (1/3 of compression stroke used)(you need to find out how much stroke is in the shock from the manufacturer) I note the amount of preload that was added from the fully extended spring position where no preload was added.

Next I'll add more bags of salt to the passenger seat based upon the weight of my rider/wife and to factor in luggage. I make additional preload adjustments the same way I did above (1/3 of stoke compression) and make sure I rocked the shocks up and down to get them in their natural state or equilibrium. I then make note how many more turns of preload on the springs I needed to move to get to 1/3 compression of the total stroke. At that point I know in the future where to adjust preload depending on the amount of weight on the bike. It can be a hassle to make the adjustments back and forth but on a long ride/trip you'll be glad you did it.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 04:31:28 PM »

You know I fought shocks for to many years on the race cars and earlier in my HD days, Now just more trouble than I am willing to make. Blow the air up to 50# with both of us and 35# with me and just ride and I have to say I enjoy riding more than anytime in the last 52 years of riding.
But if you are going to mess with all this, take Jerry's (grc) suggestions and go thru all the steps, doing part or just winging it is a waste of time, if not doing the full monty then just keep and use the HD air shocks, which are NOT as bad as most seem to think. And I say this with some knowledge, I have owned Progressive, Race Tech and other custom shocks over the years, and I do know and understand how to adjust them, and they might be better but are they worth the cost and effort? Maybe or maybe not. If it gets to the point where everytime you stop you are adjusting a little thinking it will help, then it is not worth it, because you are focusing on suspension vs riding. Riding much more important.

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 22 queries.