Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it normal for steering head bearing to leak out grease?  (Read 6952 times)

el chuco

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

The bottom steering head bearing on my 2014 CVO Softail Deluxe has leaked out globs of grease. Twice I've had to wipe lots of grease from that area because at highway speeds it would splatter the gas tank and my pants. I was told at the HD dealership that this is normal, especially, now that it is warming up down here. They advised I shouldn't worry because it was probably packed with too much grease and now the hotter temperatures are allowing it to leak out. The steering does feel smooth, good and okay. Anyway, have any of you experienced these large leaks of grease from the bottom steering head bearing? Just curious.   

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLSTNSE
    • CVO3: 2013 FLTRXSE2
Re: Is it normal for steering head bearing to leak out grease?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 12:25:34 PM »

Whenever they lube the head bearings you'll get large amounts of grease which shows they put plenty in.  However, I would be a little concerned if this is a long time after the service...

el chuco

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 01:07:01 PM »

Thank you FLH91, I'll keep watch on that area for more large leaks of grease, but, the amount it leaks now seems to be plenty less. And you are right, I had just done a service, so they had probably packed it in. Thanks again.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 01:28:21 PM »

when i did the steering head bearings on my sportster, i followed the manual and pumped it full of grease until it oozed out the top and bottom.  10 years later, it is still oozing some.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE Dragula 2, SESTP, C&C Fastback
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 01:53:45 PM »

Yup. I had a Heritage that always did it for a while after a service. New touring models have a sealed headset. Maybe other models will get it in the future.
2014 CVO Road King: Titianium/Black, Dragula 2 (2-1), SESTP, C&C Fastback

el chuco

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 11:14:59 PM »

Yup. I had a Heritage that always did it for a while after a service. New touring models have a sealed headset. Maybe other models will get it in the future.
I think I am going to look at changing mine to a sealed headset if possible. It is beginning to warm up here and I'm afraid the grease will just continue to ooze all out. Temperature out here in far west Texas can sometimes hit 114 degrees during the summer  :jalapeno:

ekim60 - 10 years & still oozing out...wow...  :o

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 08:47:52 AM »

If you want to eliminate, or at least greatly reduce, the grease running down onto the lower fork bracket, you could remove the steering head bearings, clean all the grease out of the cavity and the bearings, and then just grease the bearings without pumping extra grease into the cavity.  In other words, the same way the Dyna has been forever, since it doesn't have a grease fitting.  That is how Harley is now doing it on the 2014 and later Touring bikes btw.  No more grease fitting, and you have to tear down the front end to remove, clean, inspect, and grease the bearings every 25k miles.

I guess the tradeoff is that you can either clean out the excess grease from the top of the lower fork bracket on a regular basis, or you can have the front end torn down and the bearings cleaned and greased every 25k miles.  I find it is easier to just clean out the excess grease with rags when I clean the bike.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

el chuco

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 05:29:38 PM »

I guess the tradeoff is that you can either clean out the excess grease from the top of the lower fork bracket on a regular basis, or you can have the front end torn down and the bearings cleaned and greased every 25k miles.  I find it is easier to just clean out the excess grease with rags when I clean the bike.

Jerry
grc, thanks for the insight. But if it is that much work, then, I agree with you to just clean out the excess grease as necessary. I will just have to make sure the bearings don't go dry as the grease continues to ooze out. Thanks again.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 06:36:42 PM »

yep, I start worrying if I don't have to clean up a little excess from time to time.  Don't want it to contribute to the dreaded 'wobble'.  :nervous: har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Sixgunjr

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 09:58:50 PM »

Mine leaks pretty bad also....

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 24 queries.