Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: shark vs bat  (Read 20939 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: shark vs bat
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2014, 12:15:13 PM »

I've had plenty of both. My 2007 RG was the best riding bike I ever owned until my 15. My 2011 RG ultra rode way worse wind wise than any bike I ever owned and I have a half dozen windshields in the attic from trying to "fix" it.

The 2015 CVO RG Ultra is by far the best bike I have ever owned. I still may have to roll the bars forward some, but I am getting accustomed to the stock position. Jury still out on that and the heat. The radio is super easy to operate from the bars after an adjustment period. Wind whether vents are opened or closed is nice and smooth.

I think when the frame/tank/nose changes to the RG came about in 2009, it changed the dynamics of the wind on the bike. That was my experience anyway.
Thank you Rob May.  That is precisely why I kept my '11 RUSE for only 13 months and 18k.  My co-rider hated it because of all the wind that got to her.  And on me it was way, way hotter than a bat.  I know I could remove the lowers but that just adds even more wind to contend with.  Wind is exhausting on long trips.  Glad to hear the '15 is much improve.  It needed to be imo.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2014, 01:31:27 PM »

'Have both the Bat and the Shark ('05 SEEG / '09 SERG) I know the frames are different, but I've had both bikes to the 4 Corners and all points in between.   

The Bat is much more nimble at lower speeds, parking lots, Eastern Twisties. The low speed turn-in is effortless. You don't see too many Sharks at Motormen Competitions... Hi-Speed Stability is fine, never had any kind of "bagger wobble" at any speeds conditions, even in sweepers at 90 with no hands. The aero is fine, (10" standard type windshield) wind hits my forehead (6'4") the bike pulls past 120 without running into a wall of air ~stock 103, it did (run into a wall at 110) with a taller windshield that I had on the bike for awhile. The '05 came with the dog dish and vented lowers.

The Shark really shines on top. It can be turned aggressively at lower speeds (Eastern Twisties), just requires more effort, it is more ponderous in the parking lot. The Hi-Speed Stability / aero of the Shark is without equal in the Harley world (once we installed the 12" WindSplitter, Flaps, GADS Lower Triple Tree Deflector, Vented Lowers and '10 & later Brackets ~ it was a buffeting nightmare in stock trim). Nothing but clean air at any speed, no buffeting, with or without a helmet, the only bike I have ever ridden that I can smoke a cig comfortably on the Interstate. 'Have not run into a wall of air yet (at 4k+ rpm), maybe the 117 has something to do with that :nixweiss: The Shark is easier in cross winds, to me, the faster you go, the more stable it is, cross winds at lower speeds they are about the same.

Both bikes have Chopped Tour Paks.

The aero on either bike doesn't change with "The Ball & Chain" aboard, and she is fine with either (once we got the Shark figured out).

Rain protection is about the same for me on both, my knees / upper shins are the first to get wet (34" inseam).

JMHO, your results may vary...

It's good to have choices...

On the trailer thing, if logistics / time doesn't make sense, than trailer (or fly and ride for that matter) is the way to go... Last year we ran across 3 couples on the West Coast, from Oregon down to NorCal, we were leapfrogging and finally got to meet them at a scenic pull over, they were from PA, (2 owned Harley Dealerships) and have been taking motorcycle vacations together for years, and fly & ride is the way they go, because of limited vacation time ~ it made perfect sense to us!

Sometimes life just gets in the way...

The thing about trailering 2 baggers from Jax to Daytona is still got me scratching my head  :nixweiss: especially when the ride from Ponte Vedra to Daytona on A1A is one of my top 5 rides in Florida.       
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2014, 01:38:25 PM »

A lot of people are doing what's called chaptering now. Rider mag did an article on it. If you have 2 bikes it really makes sense. Here is a link... http://www.ridermagazine.com/travel-features/motorcycle-travel-by-chaptering.htm/

Also, for me anyway, it just makes sense to trailer anything over 650 or so miles. The wife and I will burn up to 650 in a day without issue but if the trip is longer then that we feel we are missing out on valuable time we could be riding in the destination. This is due to the 7 day limit. It's nice to have a down day when you get home so really you only have 6 days. In order to squeeze the most premium riding in, we feel that trailering anything over this 650ish limit is the best way to go.

I do find it comical as well when ppl trailer to an event a cpl hours away but that's just me. Maybe, like us, they have a valid reason.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 02:03:10 PM by Jswerve »

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

jpswino

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 Ultra Violet Street Glide with Lava Flames
    • CVO2: Backyard Choppers
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2014, 11:51:57 PM »

Not two weeks after getting mine this year I trailered the bike. People laughed. But it was 1050 miles in one direction to get down to Locust Grove, OK where I met friends and later rode over to Bikes, Blues and Barbecue in Fayetteville, AK. Rode all kinds of twisties while down there and loaded back up for the run home. I would never had been able to enjoy the amount of time down there had I ridden both ways. FAR BETTER choice.

I'm uncertain of my limit for using the trailer with this bike. Probably as mentioned, maybe around 600 miles makes sense to me. Most of my friends are under 500 miles away and is one of the main reasons for buying this bike, so I can ride to meet them instead of trailering!  :2vrolijk_21:

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2014, 12:00:23 AM »

Not two weeks after getting mine this year I trailered the bike. People laughed. But it was 1050 miles in one direction to get down to Locust Grove, OK where I met friends and later rode over to Bikes, Blues and Barbecue in Fayetteville, AK. Rode all kinds of twisties while down there and loaded back up for the run home. I would never had been able to enjoy the amount of time down there had I ridden both ways. FAR BETTER choice.

I'm uncertain of my limit for using the trailer with this bike. Probably as mentioned, maybe around 600 miles makes sense to me. Most of my friends are under 500 miles away and is one of the main reasons for buying this bike, so I can ride to meet them instead of trailering!  :2vrolijk_21:
See! Short on time. Makes sense right?

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2014, 07:20:35 AM »

My boss trailers to everything.  He gets less than 1000 miles a season on his bike. This is completely different than our situation and what I'd call poser material.  We often joke about it at work.

Jesse

I will agree full on this.  I also understand due long distance and short vacation the need to trailer.  Now this year the 100% perfect weather ride to and from Daytona will not be remembered in near the detail as the ride that was 520 miles in the rain on the way down to daytona, with the rain stopping in FL for the last 100 miles, and then the ride home the rain started in Tifton for the remaining 380 miles home, down pours that traffic was moving 35 mph.  That ride I will remember forever.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2014, 07:36:25 AM »

The Bat is much more nimble at lower speeds, parking lots, Eastern Twisties. The low speed turn-in is effortless. You don't see too many Sharks at Motormen Competitions... Hi-Speed Stability is fine, never had any kind of "bagger wobble" at any speeds conditions, even in sweepers at 90 with no hands. The aero is fine, (10" standard type windshield) wind hits my forehead (6'4") the bike pulls past 120 without running into a wall of air ~stock 103, it did (run into a wall at 110) with a taller windshield that I had on the bike for awhile. The '05 came with the dog dish and vented lowers.

The Shark really shines on top. It can be turned aggressively at lower speeds (Eastern Twisties), just requires more effort, it is more ponderous in the parking lot. The Hi-Speed Stability / aero of the Shark is without equal in the Harley world (once we installed the 12" WindSplitter, Flaps, GADS Lower Triple Tree Deflector, Vented Lowers and '10 & later Brackets ~ it was a buffeting nightmare in stock trim). Nothing but clean air at any speed, no buffeting, with or without a helmet, the only bike I have ever ridden that I can smoke a cig comfortably on the Interstate. 'Have not run into a wall of air yet (at 4k+ rpm), maybe the 117 has something to do with that :nixweiss: The Shark is easier in cross winds, to me, the faster you go, the more stable it is, cross winds at lower speeds they are about the same.

The thing about trailering 2 baggers from Jax to Daytona is still got me scratching my head  :nixweiss: especially when the ride from Ponte Vedra to Daytona on A1A is one of my top 5 rides in Florida.       

Interesting on two different views about the bikes in parking lots.  I have always felt the shark was easier at slow speed in a parking lot, no weight shift and less effort to push the bars.  The easter tight twists in TN where I live I feel that is one place the shark really shines, so much easier to run the curves hard.

My wife hated riding the 09 Road Glide CVO I had, she also hated riding the 12 CVO Road glide.  She said they were just uncomfortable for her to reach the ground, to reach the bars and so on.  She has had an 11 and a 13 Street Glides, she put over 44K on each of those bikes.   See demoed the 15 Road glide in Sturgis, and said it was comfortable.  So she demoed it again at home for a lot more miles.  She is now on a 15 Road Glide Special.

She does not like the looks of any road glide.  Her reason for the switch was it was less work on her neck and shoulders in the tight curves, and in parking lots.  I can after a 500 or 600 mile day see she is riding this bike much better in the curves than she was her street glide.  At the start of the day she rides them both the same.

I sure agree with on on the A1A ride.  We on the way to Daytona usually take two days, back roads to Waycross, spend the night then back roads to Jacksonville and A1A in to Ormond Beach just for that ride.  Love US 1 through the Keys also.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2014, 11:30:30 AM »

Interesting on two different views about the bikes in parking lots.  I have always felt the shark was easier at slow speed in a parking lot, no weight shift and less effort to push the bars.  The easter tight twists in TN where I live I feel that is one place the shark really shines, so much easier to run the curves hard

My wife hated riding the 09 Road Glide CVO I had, she also hated riding the 12 CVO Road glide.  She said they were just uncomfortable for her to reach the ground, to reach the bars and so on.  She has had an 11 and a 13 Street Glides, she put over 44K on each of those bikes.   See demoed the 15 Road glide in Sturgis, and said it was comfortable.  So she demoed it again at home for a lot more miles.  She is now on a 15 Road Glide Special.

She does not like the looks of any road glide.  Her reason for the switch was it was less work on her neck and shoulders in the tight curves, and in parking lots.  I can after a 500 or 600 mile day see she is riding this bike much better in the curves than she was her street glide.  At the start of the day she rides them both the same.

I sure agree with on on the A1A ride.  We on the way to Daytona usually take two days, back roads to Waycross, spend the night then back roads to Jacksonville and A1A in to Ormond Beach just for that ride.  Love US 1 through the Keys also.

Maybe it's old vs new frame? 16 vs 18 tires? The '05 lowered F&R from the factory vs the '09 just the rear? Maybe it's just me :nixweiss: my size (center of gravity) on either of these particular bikes? The steering feel of the '05 Bat has always had a much lighter feel for me than the '09 Shark.

We all know how every HD has its "own little personality", even same year, same model...

US 1 in the Keys is probably my favorite! Even though 41 Tamiami Trail is pretty much straight as an arrow, we really enjoy the wildlife (gators).

Your Wife got miles :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:51:26 AM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2014, 11:43:48 AM »

Also, for me anyway, it just makes sense to trailer anything over 650 or so miles. The wife and I will burn up to 650 in a day without issue but if the trip is longer then that we feel we are missing out on valuable time we could be riding in the destination. This is due to the 7 day limit. It's nice to have a down day when you get home so really you only have 6 days. In order to squeeze the most premium riding in, we feel that trailering anything over this 650ish limit is the best way to go.
I never understood this mentality?  If I can drive, I can ride. 

Only times I trailer:
1. Taking family to a destination (In-Laws in Florida), and do separate things.  (they like to sit around  pool, I don't)  It's hard to get 5 people on a bike.  So we trailer and I get in a few days of riding during the off-season.
2. Weather.  Living in Iowa, I would like to go to Daytona Bike week and March weather is too unpredictable sometimes.
3. Bike won't run.
Big Lew
IBA #595

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2014, 01:12:01 PM »

I never understood this mentality?  If I can drive, I can ride. 

Only times I trailer:
1. Taking family to a destination (In-Laws in Florida), and do separate things.  (they like to sit around  pool, I don't)  It's hard to get 5 people on a bike.  So we trailer and I get in a few days of riding during the off-season.
2. Weather.  Living in Iowa, I would like to go to Daytona Bike week and March weather is too unpredictable sometimes.
3. Bike won't run.

I understand Jswerve's (and the 3 couples that I posted about earlier) "mentality" completely.

Especially when the riding circle / radius from home (weekend or long weekend) has been played out and one (or a couple) wants to experience riding destinations that are half way+ across the Continent, and time is not available to ride too and from. Not everybody can take 3 months out of their lives to tour the West like "The Ball & Chain" and I did last year, or take a month to go to Laconia or Sturgis...  We usually take a month or so Dive Trip to the Keys each year and ride the '05 SEEG down and rent gear, now that we have all our own gear, including Tanks, we will probably throw a bike in the back of the pickup so that we can enjoy all our own stuff. Some of our crew (believe me, they are about as hard core riders as there is ~ they have nothing to prove) from this area will trailer to Sturgis and swap off driving so that they can get there in 24-30 hours as opposed to 3 days up, 3 days back, since they have limited time to get away, and want to enjoy the time riding at their destination.

Like I posted earlier "Sometimes the life thing just gets in the way"...

BigLew55, I understand why you trailer on some occasions, you stated your reasons, others have theirs...

Now let's get back to The Shark vs The Bat... LOL!

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2014, 01:22:20 PM »

Now let's get back to The Shark vs The Bat... LOL!

Sorry!  Both of these dead horses have been beaten beyond recognition!

Had a 2003 Shark.  Best mod I ever did was to convert it to a bat.  BSR won't hardly let me say "Road Glide" anymore.  :D
Big Lew
IBA #595

flibb

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2014, 01:32:15 PM »

lol I've seen these posts forever   i agree beating a dead horse. being my first shark  just saying the 15  is nice thats all.  Lol wasn't a shark vs bat thread like i posted in the subject.    well didn't mean it to be

2008 rocker c, 2003 fatboy, 2015 rgu

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2014, 02:44:27 PM »

being my first shark  just saying the 15  is nice thats all.  Lol wasn't a shark vs bat thread like i posted in the subject.    well didn't mean it to be

I for one, didn't take it (the vs part) with any animosity. 'Just posted (reply 31) my take on the bikes that I own, the similarities / differences.

'Love 'em both, if I had to give up one or the other, it would be a tough choice for me...

'Having not ridden one (yet), the '15 CVO RGU looks to be badass to me!

Congrats on your (y'alls) new scoots  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

flibb

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2014, 02:51:32 PM »

thanks and you know the truth i would have never ridden a shark except for the problems i had with my limited.  thought it was time to try something else.  I was just saying I have seen all these posts but I like the shark.   Yep big front end .  But I'm happy .   

2008 rocker c, 2003 fatboy, 2015 rgu

gstrickland

• CVO1: 2013 Anniversary Road Glide #873/900
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2014, 04:22:40 PM »

it's "Shark Week" every week at my house, had em all, fatboys, dyna's, RK's, Ultra's, it all comes down to what you feel is best for your riding style. Not everyone goes into Starbucks and orders a "no mocha, 180 degree, big fluff, extra cinnamon" latte...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 22 queries.