Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Competent tuner near Syracuse NY?  (Read 4881 times)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Competent tuner near Syracuse NY?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 01:53:07 PM »

If Dave is booked at Pocono  Harley, give Ken Puzio a call at black hills Custom Parts in Northern NJ.

http://www.blackhillscustomparts.com/

973-982-0200
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

KC2GIW

• RUB
  • Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2016 White Amethyst CVO Street Glide
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 02:13:10 PM »

Scott from Hillside sent me to Joe's Cycle after a S&S 124" install, he said he Joe was a decent guy and would treat me well.  The tune needed to be done over & Joe only charged me $802.50.  $200.00 was for being picked up at Hillside.  By the way he told me he only took cash once I was there to pick it up,  I don't walk around with $800.00 in cash.  I mentioned he should have told me prior to driving out there to pick it up but he got so upset he walked away and another person had to finish the transaction.  In Scott's defense (I can't believe I'm doing that) he did tell me that that was very expensive.   When I arrived Joe brought me into his tuning garage and went over the details he does that nobody in the business can duplicate!  I asked Joe why he charged so much and he told me because and I Quote "Because I'm the best there ever was and ever will be.  When it comes to tuning I am the God of the tuning world".  He also told me that "numerous tuning companies including S&S have been trying to get me to work for them for years but I'm not sharing my secrets!"  I said it must be nice to walk on water and then it got ugly.  In my opinion he thinks way to high of himself and his tune was for max HP not normal riding.  I was disappointed that a simple tune would cost so much, get a lousy job and have to get in a verbal dispute for not paying cash.  I could go on but I think you get my point.  I had Dave Stoddard re-tune the bike, what a huge difference in normal use driving.  Obviously there are some out there that have received a decent tune by Joe or he would be out of business.   Why did he want cash, he told me what that Dyno tuning to change AFR regulations is against the law.  That may be so but why have it on your business sign!

That sounds very uncharacteristic of my and many others' experiences there.  BUT - I say that having only had my dealings with him over the phone.  That's too bad, though.  I guess we all have to go by what we've seen.  Sorry you had to go through that.

Matt - Syracuse, NY

2016 White Amethyst FLHXSE.
117 SE drop-in kit.
Jackpot 2:1:2, V&H 450 Titans.

2018 Arctic White Corvette Grand Sport

KVSteve

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2016 FTLRUSE
    • ON

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 02:34:04 PM »

Many own a dyno but that does not equal a tuner . Simple answer..

Absolutely. A tool is only as good as the guy holding the other end.

Then again how does one know local indy guy with dyno isnt a decent tuner without giving him a shot?

What I was hoping for was a GMR, Doc or Fullsac close to home. Safe to say from the replys thats a no-go.
All other recommendations are small shops that have at some point made someone happy enough to recommend them but hardly a concensus.

I'd love to get it done by one of the acclaimed guys on this forum like GMR, Fullsac or Doc, but sadly 3000 mile ride on a most likely severely lean bike just to get it tuned is impractical and potentially damaging.

I'm sort of leaning to giving my local guy a shot.
Realistically he's been doing this for at least a decade, seems to have a decent reputaion locally and does a lot of race bikes.
What's that guarantee... Nothing but hoping but he's still in business so maybe not all bad.
Worst case, his tune will be miles better than the canned dealer map.. and it's only $400-500 bucks.

CVO Road Glide Ultra Ruby Red/Palladium Silver
117 bolt on kit
Crusher Trident mufflers
Crusher Powercell header

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 06:57:10 PM »

While Dave and Ken are not known quite so well you might take a look on HTT forum where you will find they are well known tuners.

A shot with a local over a known good tuner.    No choice in my thinking not gonna have my bike be the Guinea Pig to find out.   

Good luck whatever you decide.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

snowrider13

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2016, 07:17:06 PM »

2 peas in a pod. Hillside/Joes.

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2016, 12:02:00 AM »

Didn't know you were from Ottawa- thought you were from the GTA for some reason. I gotta think there must be some good tuners in Quebec, but I don't know of any first hand.

Can you not trailer the bike? That's what I just did to get the bike to Dave in PA, since I just had my 113 put together I couldn't ride it anywhere un-tuned.

I know you say you would have to take time off. I guess I'm lucky like that since I get 6 days off when I'm on days off, but I realize it's tough for Monday to Friday people.

If you can swing it, turn it into a road trip adventure. I feel that it is 100% worth the time and effort to have a properly tuned bike, because for as long as you own it all those many, many miles, you will enjoy the way the engine runs and performs every time you ride, and you will have comfort in the knowledge that it is running optimally. I just had that discussion with a buddy who asked if it was worth $500 US for a tune. He has recently spent a couple grand on chrome do-dads, so I reminded him that especially compared to that, the $500 is easily worth it compared to bolting on chrome. The engine is the heart of the bike after all.

2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

JKM

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2016, 06:41:13 PM »

here is a list of dyno centers according to Dynojet.  May be worth phoning a few of them to ask if they will tune TTS.

https://www.dynojet.com/dynocenters/dynojet-motorcycle-dyno-centers.aspx?Intl_Address=Ottawa%2c+ON%2c+Canada&distance=250

2008 FLHRSE4 (105 Anni)- V&H Dresser duals and slash cut mufflers, Big Sucker AI, PCV, Woods 777, JPrecision Heads

JKM

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2016, 06:44:42 PM »

Also HD dealer in Gatineau has a dyno.  Here is their website (en francais)
http://www.hdoutaouais.com/nous-offrons-un-service-de-dyno--fr-dyno-service
2008 FLHRSE4 (105 Anni)- V&H Dresser duals and slash cut mufflers, Big Sucker AI, PCV, Woods 777, JPrecision Heads

sAs

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2016, 09:31:03 AM »

http://www.vtwinfuelinjection.com/

Had great results with Dan.. Out just past Darien Lake.

edit: I see you use TTS, Im not 100% sure if he does TTS but talking with him is worth the call..
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 09:35:37 AM by sAs »

KC2GIW

• RUB
  • Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2016 White Amethyst CVO Street Glide
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2016, 10:39:36 AM »

http://www.vtwinfuelinjection.com/

Had great results with Dan.. Out just past Darien Lake.

edit: I see you use TTS, Im not 100% sure if he does TTS but talking with him is worth the call..

I just remembered that someone from Harv's recommended him to me as well.  No experience first hand, but I've heard he's good at what he does.
Matt - Syracuse, NY

2016 White Amethyst FLHXSE.
117 SE drop-in kit.
Jackpot 2:1:2, V&H 450 Titans.

2018 Arctic White Corvette Grand Sport
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.