Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: problem  (Read 1852 times)

slimj78

problem
« on: April 08, 2010, 12:22:17 AM »

I just bought a 05' screamin eagle with the 103. The guy I bought it from said he put a larger throttle body, bigger cams and a boarzilla exhaust and a "race pack" I believe is what he called it?
The bike ran awesome until recently. I bought it with 11k on the clock and it had just had its 10k dealer service. It now has 13.5k and I just changed the oil, since the oil change when I take off in first and flog it, it falls on its face around 3-35k then I upshift to 2nd and it falls on its face around 3-3.5k and sputters a bit, then will run out fine. It acts like its starving for fuel, I run 93 gas but last night I tried putting a bottle of injector cleaner and some octane booster in the fuel and running it out, only got to burn a gallon through her before I had to go home, but it was still falling off on hard throttle, does great if i just mellow shift through and on highway??  Just changed the fuel filter and put new S.E. Plugs in. Couldn't see any obvious holes in the fuel lines?/?Thanks in advance

BTAman

Re: problem
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 03:06:49 AM »

My 03 Roadglide had a similar problem. Turned out to be some very small holes in the fuel line inside of the fuel tank. I was told the lines some times rub against the walls of the tank and small holes develop in the lines. When the tank was full there was no problem but when the fuel level dropped even a little bit the lines were left high and dry and began sucking air into the fuel system. The engine would seem to stall or lug as I laid on the acceleration. 

bigmuff

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 11:40:18 AM »

Fuel pump?

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 01:42:24 PM »

Don't know if the fuel line is the problem but it is VERY common to get pinholes in the line.  Best to replace the lines.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 02:55:49 PM »

It is not uncommon to have broken wires leading to the injectors.  Its worth a check.   I would disconnect any fuelers and go for a very short run when the bike is warm and see if the issue happens again, just to eliminate one more item as a root cause.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 08:33:53 AM »

I recently seen a high milage 07 with the fuel line split sucking air. These new alcohol fuel blends really dry out the rubber parts.
A heavy dose of injector cleaner isn't all that rubber parts friendly either. Ever get that stuff on you hands?
The quick check is to fill the tank to the very top covering the air leak and test ride.

Steve
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 09:55:21 AM »

I once saw a fuel filter break apart and clog the injectors. Bike acted very similar to what you describe.

tompen

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 10:14:14 AM »

If it actually happened immediatly after the oil change, look at, touch, inspect everything that was moved or disturbed during the oil change.
Good luck.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 07:25:19 AM »

With those upgrades that were installed, was it tuned(not a download) to run correctly?? :)
Scott

Page created in 2.684 seconds with 25 queries.