Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: 2013 CVO Road Glide with 30" front tire  (Read 24871 times)

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
Re: 2013 CVO Road Glide with 30" front tire
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 10:27:47 AM »

I dont mind the look of a bigger front tire but there is a point when it becomes ridiculous
I agree with you. I think the 26's look a litle better than the 30's on a fairing bike. The RK's look good with the bigger wheel. F&R air ride helps a bunch as you can slam the bike for cruising and raise it back up for getting through the turns.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

ultrarider123

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »

Well, after looking at the wheel again, it reminded me of the thread posted a bit ago on the humor side.  Don't know why..... :nixweiss: :2vrolijk_21:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=80623.0

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2012, 10:32:24 AM »

I believe you called it correctly.

I rode the Rampage Wheels Black RG with a 30" front wheel at Sturgis this year, let me just say it attracts "a lot" of attention and compliments. It rode pretty good too although it felt just a little heavy or sluggish as one would imagine at parking lot speeds until you get use to it, the bikes motor is built up as well with a kick a$$ tune system.  The bike is currently in the back cover of several Bagger magazines in the Rampage Wheels ad. The Kewl Metal (no frame cut) raked triple tree kit worked as advertised and was very smooth.

I'll admit I wasn't up to taking it up past 100 mph on I-90 first time out without a helmet or proper riding gear but it was stable to that point and the ride was not harsh at all, firm yes...harsh no.

Guess the beauty is in the eye of the beholder on this proposition.

Thanks for the first hand input.  :2vrolijk_21: I have been on the fence with the KM (or anyone's) tree kit without cutting the frame. I am not cutting the frame so I'd be content with a 23" and a set of raked trees.
2023 CVO Road Glide

harleybar7

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2012, 10:43:57 AM »

Great, now people are really goin to start F'n up perfectly good ( and beautiful ) CVO's to imitate this . Like anything there will always be someone that has to go too far. But I guess it appeals to some. Just think what all of us with un butchered bikes are going to look like when this fad is over. Trendsetters Ha Ha.
If Ailiens are looking for intelligent life, why are you scared?

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 11:28:18 AM »

Thanks for the first hand input.  :2vrolijk_21: I have been on the fence with the KM (or anyone's) tree kit without cutting the frame. I am not cutting the frame so I'd be content with a 23" and a set of raked trees.

Lots of good reading on this topic over at:  www.choppedbaggers.com

Good luck with your decison!  :2vrolijk_09:

Handymaninny

• Junior CVO Member
  • I'm happiest when I'm riding!!!

• CVO1: 2013 CVO RGC
    • CVO2: 2008 V-rod Anniversary #714
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2012, 11:55:24 AM »

I have to admit.....i like the big rim and i applause the guy for doing it and NOT hacking it up.....the fender looks factory :bananarock: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

ffltjeff

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2012, 12:08:09 PM »

While at Sturgis last year I talked to a vendor that told me a lot of those rims are show only and not designed or recommended to be used on the street.  He claimed they can fail at high speeds.   Better hang on tight!
2013 FLHTCUSE8
V&H Power Duals, V&H Monster Ovals, SERT
Progressive 444 shocks, Progressive Cartridge Fork Kit
Windsplitter windshield

GILLY

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2012, 12:12:22 PM »

It's a custom bike with a wild look. The 30's are a little too much for me, but I'm not involved in the "show" bike culture. It's funny how something looks strange at first, then it becomes more popular and the "original" starts to look almost out of date. The 19's on Harleys look the best to me.  I remember seeing a Street Glide a few years back with a 21 and raked trees...it looked odd at the time. Now I like the look.

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2012, 12:26:42 PM »

While at Sturgis last year I talked to a vendor that told me a lot of those rims are show only and not designed or recommended to be used on the street.  He claimed they can fail at high speeds.   Better hang on tight!

Which vendor made that statement and please expound upon the failures one could expect?

Granted a 30" doesn't have much rubber meeting the road but IMHO up to a 23" would be a reasonable all around choice for a light bagger with a raked tree kit. Not sure I'd do it to an Ultra though for which a 21" works just fine, over 10k on the odometer with a 21" on an Ultra and never an issue or skidish moment up to and including WFO. But I only run PM wheels with Metzler tires so I can't speak for all the other brands.....PM wheels are trued and perfectly balanced before the ever leave the factory.

I don't believe a reputable company would be selling a product that has severe liability issues into the motorcycle industry where law suits are a dime a dozen but I could be wrong.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2012, 12:51:35 PM »

While at Sturgis last year I talked to a vendor that told me a lot of those rims are show only and not designed or recommended to be used on the street.  He claimed they can fail at high speeds.   Better hang on tight!

Dealing with as many vendors as I do on a daily basis I have yet to hear anything remotely like that. Liability comes to mind here so I do not forsee the manufacture selling rims that can/will fail. On the flip side I have had conversations in regards to the handling and the various trail and rake numbers. Trail and rake conversations have been around since the beginning of motorcycles (visit a chopper forum ;) ). For show only rims? I have yet to see that disclaimer anywhere in mass produced wheels.
2023 CVO Road Glide

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2012, 12:57:09 PM »

It's a custom bike with a wild look. The 30's are a little too much for me, but I'm not involved in the "show" bike culture. It's funny how something looks strange at first, then it becomes more popular and the "original" starts to look almost out of date. The 19's on Harleys look the best to me.  I remember seeing a Street Glide a few years back with a 21 and raked trees...it looked odd at the time. Now I like the look.

I agree. I've run 21"s on my Bagger since 03 ish without a issue of any sort. I do like the 19" on my 13 for an all around wheel. It's something how the 21" wheels on Baggers look stock-like now after several years of seeing them on bikes. The 23" wheels are starting to look small after seeing the 26" and 30" wheels at the events.
2023 CVO Road Glide

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2012, 03:01:28 PM »

Geeeez Louise that is ugly.......  :'(
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2012, 03:44:56 PM »

Just the culmination of all the other goofy crap people put out there to gain attention.  Absolutely awful in terms of actual function of course, but once it hits the show circuit or the magazines there will be plenty of imitators actually selling this sort of crap.  In a similar vein, I especially love the big rim/rubber band tire thing on huge SUV's.  It reminds me of a sumo wrestler with size six feet in a pair of ballet slippers.

I think I liked it a whole lot more when people just grew their hair long or dyed it purple or got a ridiculous tat to say "look at me, look at me". 

Jerry

Hey...I resemble that remark.  ;)  But I ain't doing it for attention...it's just I don't see any sense in paying a barber if I'm not going to work again.

That big wheel and tire looks like it's put the fender about an inch from the bottom of the fairing, so he better not do anything but push it on/off the trailer at shows.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ffltjeff

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2012, 04:40:39 PM »

Fatboy and Puzzled after reading your replies I started thinking about what I wrote earlier.  I based my statement on what a guy standing in a tent in a parking lot told me.  Probably not the most reliable source of information.  I did research the web and found only a few undetermined failures on rims of any size.  Looks like I misspoke, sorry if I have offended anyone
2013 FLHTCUSE8
V&H Power Duals, V&H Monster Ovals, SERT
Progressive 444 shocks, Progressive Cartridge Fork Kit
Windsplitter windshield

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2012, 05:41:21 PM »

No offense here, I was more so curious who would say such a thing. Do wheel failures happen? Of course they do. I just wasn't aware of anyone manufacturing show only wheels.  :orange:
2023 CVO Road Glide
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 25 queries.