Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Should I paint my 2001?  (Read 3261 times)

kojack

• gearhead!
  • Senior CVO Member
    • NL

• CVO1: 2001 Sceamin eagle road glide (custom)
Should I paint my 2001?
« on: July 09, 2015, 07:21:01 AM »

I am in a little bit of indecision right now.  My bike's paint is getting tired.  I love the paint scheme,  but I am thinking about going full tilt on the bike since I got my new paint booth now.  Sould I replace the body work with new,  and custom paint,   that way I have the factory stuff kept.  Or should I just keep it stock.   I love the look of puzzled's 01 with the extended bags and 21" front wheel etc.  I am going to go that route,  somehow.  My plan is to keep the stock graphics scheme and use metallic paint so it pops in the sun.   I just got my shop up and running,  powder coater, paint booth etc.  So I can do all the work myself. 

Thoughts?
Mavericks RC
MFFM

Powered by gasoline and southern comfort!

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
Re: Should I paint my 2001?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 09:28:19 AM »

Personally IMHO these classic bikes are works of art that the MOCO will never reproduce, and have never matched in paint schemes since these first couple of years.  If I was in your situation ... I would buy an older "project" Road Glide and make a custom "tribute" to this classic.   Like I said ... that's just MHO  :nixweiss:

Marty
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 09:35:59 AM »

If it was just a stock solid color standard production bike I would say no harm in painting.  Since it is a CVO from the early days and limited in number I would suggest keeping it stock. I do like your idea of removing stock painted parts and storing for future restoration though if you just want to freshen up your bike and try out your painting equipment etc. on new tins. That might be the best of both worlds by being able to refresh an old bike with modern features and looks at the lowest price. The other option would be to buy a stock new bike and go crazy on it while storing the classic older bike.......
Just my .02 though.

kojack

• gearhead!
  • Senior CVO Member
    • NL

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 10:50:56 AM »

She's getting a total strip down this winter,  and I am going to store all factory parts,  repaint them stock colors, graphics etc.  She was a basket case when I bought it.  So,  I think doing a double resto would be interesting.  I think im going to go that route.  Yaffe parts, like bars, fenders, seat, tank etc.  Do a nice classy paint job.  I would be a good rolling ad for my business as well. 
Mavericks RC
MFFM

Powered by gasoline and southern comfort!

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 11:10:55 AM »

She's getting a total strip down this winter,  and I am going to store all factory parts,  repaint them stock colors, graphics etc.  She was a basket case when I bought it.  So,  I think doing a double resto would be interesting.  I think im going to go that route.  Yaffe parts, like bars, fenders, seat, tank etc.  Do a nice classy paint job.  I would be a good rolling ad for my business as well.
Sounds like an ambitious project Kojack  :2vrolijk_21: can't wait to see the pic's of the end results  :drink:

Marty 
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 11:27:37 AM »

Maybe some photos would help people give more informed opinions?   Of course the final decision is totally yours when it comes down to it.
And it seems that you have already decided what to do kojack.....
I have just seen lots of shows lately that have totally unrestored cars/truck/bikes on them and there is a segment of the collector market that says keep a vehicle as stock as possible with all it's flaws and patina since the paint can only be original once......Of course they would only replace factory parts with new old stock (NOS) parts too.
You might want to contact Dale Walksler (sp?) at the Wheels Through Time Museum and see what he says if you care about resale value or collectability of your bike?
I like martys idea of getting a used older Roadglide too and going crazy on paint and modding of that bike. You may be able to get one of them for very little money.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 11:34:08 AM by VaEagle »

kojack

• gearhead!
  • Senior CVO Member
    • NL

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 03:17:20 PM »

I have decided.   I am going to removed the Eagle stuff,   and restore it.   so if I want,  I can turn my bike back to an original SERG.  Then bolt on new tins and have a full custom. 

Like I said,  I save money,  and have advertising for my custom business.   My bike has 87k miles on it now.  so she's getting tired.  And a full rebuild would be wonderful for it.  I will have to make time for it between the custom snowmobile work, powder coating,  and snowmobile restorations (about 75 of them)  I have on my plate now.  Pics will be starting this fall after the riding season.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 03:19:21 PM by kojack »
Mavericks RC
MFFM