Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wind and Sun  (Read 1536 times)

SE66

• Senior CVO Member
  • Life Begins When You Get One

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Twilight Blue / Stardust Silver
Wind and Sun
« on: May 27, 2012, 09:42:19 PM »

OK Guys let me have it !.  Headed out to Colorado June 13 for a 2 week ride.  Leaving Columbus Ms, and headed to Colorado.  Already been there 3 times but just love to ride those Rockies.  Well this time instead of trailering the bike,  The wife and I are leaving the driveway on it.  We have been riding for several years now and have made several rides that took us all day to get there,  But this is the first time to take a ride like this.  Here's the question.  I sure dont want to feel like a french fry when I get there, and feel lousy for the next week while I'm riding the rockies,  so what would you suggest to wear on this type of a long haul.  I usually just wear a short sleeve t shirt and half helmet without a shield,  thinking about a long sleeve and getting a half sheild for my helmet,  I just haven't had any experience with this type of a ride,  probably take us 2 1/2 days to get there, and I just dont want to burn myself up doing it.  What's the best clothing to wear when making such a long trip.

JImmy
Jimmy

BigSkully

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
Re: Wind and Sun
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 10:10:28 PM »

#1 - sunscreen.   #2  white or light colored cotton tshirts.   #3 pack powder cause you are going to sweat!  And for heaven's sake stop and drink plenty of water / fluids.   Don't be afraid to find some shade and take a few minutes to rest.  Nothing sucks more than not having fun on a ride you are looking forward to taking!   Ride safe and enjoy!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 10:36:40 PM »

You may want to read this thread....it's 7 pages long.....but a lot of good information.  I'd suggest long sleeves (but contrary to what I thought for years), definately not cotton.  There's a number of really lightweight fabrics out there with UV protection and moisture wick away that'll make you feel like you're not wearing anything yet keep you cool and dry.  I'd also suggest a full face helmet (again, contrary to what I'd thought for years), you're actually cooler in them because your head is out of the sun. 
Get one with true flow through ventilation and tinted shield with UV protection. :2vrolijk_21:

Here's the link......  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=63586.0
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 10:21:17 PM »

Try any of the long sleeve Underarmor Heat Gear t-shirts. They all wick great are much more comfortable than a cotton shirt. Also the UA underware is great, no chaffing, flat seams, dries super fast. This you would wear under your mesh jacket with armor with your full-face helmet and perforated gloves. Use a tinted shield and the only place you will need sunscreen is your neck. Everything else is covered and protected. Personally I prefer the Vanson mesh jackets due to construction and design. But any are better than nothing, because as we all know, it is not if you fall down, but when you fall down. No responses saying it is to hot, I live in Florida, ride year around and always wear jacket, gloves and helmet and in 48 years of riding in summer have not overheated.

dees_1

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 10:43:59 PM »

I'm with COR on this one.  Get yourself a nice mesh jacket with some lightweight armor and hydration packs, if available.  For long rides, a full face helmet will help with both cooling and resisting fatigue.  You need the UV shield and some good sun glasses to stop you from squinting (that makes you tired).  There are some helmets out there now with transition face shields so you don't have to switch from tinted to non-tinted for night riding.

What a lot of people don't realize is how much the wind will beat your @ss into the ground.  You'll get exhausted, dehydrated and sunburned/windburned if you're exposed.  Someone once asked me why I was wearing a (lightweight) jacket when it was 100 degrees.  I told them it keeps you protected from the wind, which keeps you hydrated and you can ride longer.  They hadn't thought of it that way.

Another one who rides fully geared up, no matter the weather.  I live in West TN and we do know hot!

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 10:52:57 PM »

and wear earplugs, that will save your hearing and cut down on fatigue. (The worst noise for your hearing is not the pipes, its the wind around your helmet)

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 25 queries.