Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2015 Carbon dust/charcoal slate paint issue.  (Read 8693 times)

cb311asu

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

2015 Carbon dust/charcoal slate paint issue.
« on: March 01, 2015, 02:05:47 PM »

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a "spider web" look in the black portion of their paint.  I thought that it may have been micro scratches to begin with but it is limited to the black paint only.  I know black can show this imperfection easier but I have looked the silver portion over really well and saw nothing.  I have also had a test area professionally buffed and their was no improvement in the paint blemish.  I am guessing the issue is under the clear coat since buffing had no effect.  I know the CVO street glide folks have had some paint issues and I was curious if anyone with a limited was having issues.  Also what is the chance Harley will cover this type of imperfection?  I have only had the bike 4 months and has stayed in my garage.

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
Re: 2015 Carbon dust/charcoal slate paint issue.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 02:37:53 PM »

Looks like it is an issue with more than you think, real bummer, looks like 2006 all over again.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=100454.0

Here is a good picture of what they did in 2006 to us, any part that had multiple colors had the haze. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 02:41:38 PM by Wrongway »

cb311asu

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 03:08:53 PM »

That is exactly what I am experiencing!

DavidG_TKSE

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSEANV #631
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHTKSE Carbon/Slate (Traded)
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 09:44:20 AM »

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a "spider web" look in the black portion of their paint.  I thought that it may have been micro scratches to begin with but it is limited to the black paint only.  I know black can show this imperfection easier but I have looked the silver portion over really well and saw nothing.  I have also had a test area professionally buffed and their was no improvement in the paint blemish.  I am guessing the issue is under the clear coat since buffing had no effect.  I know the CVO street glide folks have had some paint issues and I was curious if anyone with a limited was having issues.  Also what is the chance Harley will cover this type of imperfection?  I have only had the bike 4 months and has stayed in my garage.
I noticed something like this on my left saddlebag lid after I had it a few weeks, figured since my was a dealer trade they might blame it on other dealer. Also noticed what I thought appeared to be long vertical scratches on both filler panels between fender and bags, guess I need to look closer. Keep us posted and I'll do the same.

cb311asu

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 11:25:11 PM »

I am going to talk to a harley tech rep next week.  We will see what happens.

cb311asu

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 03:30:27 PM »

I spoke to a Harley rep on Tuesday.  They said it has been an issue with black paint on the 14/15 CVOs.  He said in 2/3 weeks there would be putting out a service bulletin about how to go through a buffing procedure to correct it.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 04:46:38 PM »

I spoke to a Harley rep on Tuesday.  They said it has been an issue with black paint on the 14/15 CVOs.  He said in 2/3 weeks there would be putting out a service bulletin about how to go through a buffing procedure to correct it.

That's the same response they started out with on the 2006 fiasco.  Buffing all the clear off isn't doing you any favors, and in many cases in 2006 it didn't solve the problem anyway.  I'd suggest telling H-D they could either replace my affected parts under warranty, or I'd see them in court.  If this affects multiple parts, you could be looking at thousands of dollars to replace them yourself, or thousands of dollars to send them to an outside shop like Xtreme Dimension to be repainted properly.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cb311asu

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 08:23:20 AM »

Jerry, 

I agree 100%.  They have already sent one of my bags out to a specialty paint/bike shop that paints supposedly paints expensive custom bikes to try a test area of buffing to see if it would correct the problem.  They did a test area on the lid and it actually looked worse after they tried to buff it.  I am glad I did not let them buff the entire bike.  So at this point do I wait on the service bulletin and let them try to buff it out per Harley or should I start demanding replacement parts?

Chris

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 07:21:51 PM »

If the detail guys at the paint shop couldn't improve the finish I doubt any process tried by HD or the dealer will help. I would ask that all the affected painted parts be replaced, just be ready to wait a while for the parts. Also check your warranty because I fairly sure that with chrome pieces the MOCO says they will replace an item ONCE during the warranty period. If that's the case with painted parts make sure you inspect the new parts before they get installed and if they are also messed up don't accept them.

FWIW - I had a painted part replaced under warranty because it actually had the painters hand prints under the clear coat. The replacement part was perfect.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

phantomxrt

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Streetglide (Hard Candy Mercury)
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 05:59:47 AM »

FWIW - I had a painted part replaced under warranty because it actually had the painters hand prints under the clear coat. The replacement part was perfect.
[/quote]

I can attest to that. I have a new CVO hard candy Streetglide. There was a thumb print under the clear on the batwing. Replacement part was perfect, but that's not the point.

ultrarider123

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 07:27:36 AM »

Makes you wonder just how much quality control was actually in place that day both with the painter and the HD factory.  Of course, maybe the painter was just signing his creation... ::)

Thumb prints are one of those "ya gotta look for it" things on the CVO paint.  I once found two on two different new CVOs sitting on the showroom.  Pointing this out the sales manager really made his day.... :)  He was ticked at the factory blunder but was more mad at his service folks for not catching it in the prep stage.

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 05:45:28 PM »

Hi Chris. What you are describing sounds suspiciously similar to what I have on my blue/lava 2015 FLHXSE. I can not see any micro-scratching in my flames but the very dark blue on my bike almost looks black it sticks out like a sore thumb. On mine it is absolutely soft clear coat. I have managed to even have email interactions with Gunslinger including the lead painter who gave me a compatible harder PPG clear coat option.
Anyway if it is the same problem use a dual action buffer with Maguiers Ultimate polish and the foam polishing pad. It will get rid of them. This combo is VERY mild so it takes as little clear off as possible. Only use good microfiber towels and barely put any pressure on towel when wiping off.
You can NOT wash the bike without extreme care!!! Even the dealers do not know or appreciate how soft this is.
After getting it polished follow up by VERY LIGHTLY wiping off excess remaining oil and silicone using diluted isopropyl alcohol. Then I used Maguiers synthetic 2 on top. Probably better (harder) stuff but this is my fourth go-round for doing this and so far this is holding up best. BUT to clean I now first  use a sniffer duster VERY LIGHTLY to dust off what I can. I place two hot wet microfiber towels on buggy areas to soak. I then spray everything with Maguiers quick detail spray and wipe it all off with only enough pressure so that the new clean microfiber towel goes where I want it too!!!
Sucks but this is how it is for me. BTW do NOT let the dealer wipe the bike after service or you will have to repeat above!!
With this said I STILL LOVE MY BIKE!!!

cb311asu

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 08:34:46 AM »

Thanks for the tip.  I will give that a try if all else fails.  I don't have any experience buffing and polishing and I hate the thoughts of my first attempt being on my new CVO limited.

Talked to the good folks at HD and it is not a service bulletin that came out but a tech tip.  I pulled it up with my dealer and it actually looks like a fairly aggressive procedure to remove the imperfections.  Not sure how I feel about letting them try it giving the miserable outcome of the buffing that they have tried previously.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 08:56:05 AM »

Thanks for the tip.  I will give that a try if all else fails.  I don't have any experience buffing and polishing and I hate the thoughts of my first attempt being on my new CVO limited.

Talked to the good folks at HD and it is not a service bulletin that came out but a tech tip.  I pulled it up with my dealer and it actually looks like a fairly aggressive procedure to remove the imperfections.  Not sure how I feel about letting them try it giving the miserable outcome of the buffing that they have tried previously.

If you find yourself with time on your hands, try to find some of the paint threads from 2006.  What they are trying to pass off this time is the same crap they passed off back then, and I'll bet the results will be the same.  I would only allow them to do this after they gave me something in writing stating they will replace the part if you're not satisfied with the result.  Do Not do any sanding and polishing yourself, unless you want them to leave you holding the bag, so to speak.  Btw, if the clear is soft, as mentioned by HighOnHD, all the sanding and polishing in the world isn't going to fix that.  Unfortunately, Harley has their procedures and one of them is to put people off as long as possible until some just give up. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fast FLHX

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Kryptonite FLHXSE2 (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2020 Smokey Grey/Black Hole FLHXSE
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 09:06:28 AM »

The positive part of HD doing it is that they are also liable for screwing it up again.  Try it yourself and any mistakes come out of your pocket.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 25 queries.