Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need Indy Shop in Los Angeles for my 96 Fatboy  (Read 3828 times)

BDMastiff

• Full CVO Member
Need Indy Shop in Los Angeles for my 96 Fatboy
« on: March 02, 2015, 08:21:10 AM »

I have a 96 Fatboy with a 2008 S&S 117 EVO.  I've done head work and cams.   I upgraded the ignition to a Thunderheart.  I have issues starting the bike and it's left me stranded a few times.  I probably need a higher torque starter but I'm not positive.  Also, I may need to adjust the timing.  My wrenching skills are limited.  I need a recommendation for  good Indy shop in the Los Angeles area.  Any recommendations are welcome.  Thanks.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: Need Indy Shop in Los Angeles for my 96 Fatboy
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 08:24:30 AM »

Not in LA, but if you take a drive to Hayward, RC Cycles will ace the job for you. :2vrolijk_21:
Scott

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 09:56:58 AM »

I have a 96 Fatboy with a 2008 S&S 117 EVO.  I've done head work and cams.   I upgraded the ignition to a Thunderheart.  I have issues starting the bike and it's left me stranded a few times.  I probably need a higher torque starter but I'm not positive.  Also, I may need to adjust the timing.  My wrenching skills are limited.  I need a recommendation for  good Indy shop in the Los Angeles area.  Any recommendations are welcome.  Thanks.

Dipstick,

When you find one, post up as I'd like to know too. My regular place, Lawndale Cycle closed last week and they will be missed. Now I've beem going to a fledging shop called State Motto on Sepulveda and Venice. So far they have done a rear brake pad and tire change, shock swap and oil change. Not too sure how they would fare with pulling heads, and changing lifters, cams or splitting cases. The mechanic there is named Brian. He sounds knowledgeable when I've talked to him. Knows the difference between troubleshooting and repair versus just changing parts. He has worked at dealers and at Eagle Rider. He works on all bike's and they have a variety on hand from vintage Japanese from the 70s and 80s to recent Ducatis. My next big service is a 10k and I may let him do it.

Prices:
Tire change labor $65. I brought the rubber and pads.
Shocks labor $125. He had to modify some brackets per Ohlins instructions.
Oil change labor $65. I brought the Mobil1 and filter.

I will use them for regular maIntenence or small repairs, but truth be told if the engine grenades I'm taking it to Metal Dragon in Hayward.

Keep me posted of what other shops you find.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

BDMastiff

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 04:16:20 PM »

Thanks Mark.  I live in Mar Vista which is very close to that shop.  I'll talk to Brian and see what he says.  I'll also let you know if I find a better option.  At the moment my bike is registered as a non used vehicle and I cancelled my insurance.  I haven't ridden it in almost a year but I'd love to ride it again.  I just hate getting stranded!!!!

BTW, there's no need to pay him to do your oil change in the future.  The next time your bike needs a service you can bring it to my house and I'll teach you how to do it yourself.  Just let me know.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 04:18:32 PM by DipStick »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 04:35:28 PM »

Not in LA, but if you take a drive to Hayward, RC Cycles will ace the job for you. :2vrolijk_21:
Scott

Bob at RC Cycles has tuned many, many of the CVO bikes from the members in Nor Cal and So Cal and at least a couple from out of state and as far away as North Carolina......many members on this forum. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 06:31:03 PM »

Other than Jim at Metal Dragon in Hayward, the only other person I would trust with my bikes is Harry at American Turbo Power.
http://www.atp-hd.com/
He just closed the shop in Van Nuys and is now in the West San Fernando Valley. You will not be disappointed!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 08:03:59 PM »

Thanks Mark.  I live in Mar Vista which is very close to that shop.  I'll talk to Brian and see what he says.  I'll also let you know if I find a better option.  At the moment my bike is registered as a non used vehicle and I cancelled my insurance.  I haven't ridden it in almost a year but I'd love to ride it again.  I just hate getting stranded!!!!

BTW, there's no need to pay him to do your oil change in the future.  The next time your bike needs a service you can bring it to my house and I'll teach you how to do it yourself.  Just let me know.

Thanks for the offer to use your place, as I may take you up on it. I do know how to change oil and have done it myself many times. However that was when I was in my house in Westchester. I am now in an apartment in Playa and just don't have access to my tools and stuff.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 21 queries.