Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need some electrical help  (Read 4135 times)

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Need some electrical help
« on: January 29, 2015, 07:13:34 PM »

I bought the kit to add Aux switches to the left side of the fork lock on my '15 SERGU. http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/auxiliary-power-switch-kit---fairing-mount

It came with the switch block, the harness and a few zip ties and connectors. I got the switch mounted without issue and there's a harness right under the cover that leads back to a connector under the left side cover per the instructions.

Here's where it gets interesting.  There are two unused plugs underneath the fuse block in that area. See pix below from the Supplement manual

For the life of me I can't find which plug is supposed to be what in the FLTRUSE supplement manual. There's no complete breakdown pix in that book of the left side cover anywhere.

I DID find in the regular service manual a pix of what I'm looking for....

Now it get's worse... according to the above pix plug #7 is the aux plug and plug #8 is a Data Link connector...

The plug on the harness that came in the kit fits plug #8, NOT plug #7.

So anyway, I plugged in the harness to #8 and started checking for voltage on the outputs of the two aux pigtails (one for each switch in the dash) and they work like they should. I even hear the relay click when you hit one of the two switches on the dash.

Here's a pix of the harness.

and the part number of the harness

Is there any way at all that the pix from the regular service manual is labeled incorrectly? Do you think the CVO wiring is that much different from a standard bike?

One more thing. Now I have to try to find a way to get that harness to fit somewhere. It sure as hell isn't going to fit behind that side cover. :-\
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
Re: Need some electrical help
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 08:44:38 PM »

It certainly is possible that the manual has an error.   

If it were me I would give the service department a call and see if they know anything. If they don't have any answer, I would give the MoCo a call.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 09:18:15 PM »

For the life of me I can't find which plug is supposed to be what in the FLTRUSE supplement manual. There's no complete breakdown pix in that book of the left side cover anywhere.

I DID find in the regular service manual a pix of what I'm looking for....

Now it get's worse... according to the above pix plug #7 is the aux plug and plug #8 is a Data Link connector...

The plug on the harness that came in the kit fits plug #8, NOT plug #7.

So anyway, I plugged in the harness to #8 and started checking for voltage on the outputs of the two aux pigtails (one for each switch in the dash) and they work like they should. I even hear the relay click when you hit one of the two switches on the dash.

How many terminals (pins) are in each plug (#7 and #8) unless I'm totally messed up - which is possible- or the MOCO changed this also on the Rushmore bikes - the DATA LINK connector - which is where you or a technician at the dealer would interface with the ECM using a computer or digital technician - should have 4 pins or terminals and the Auxiliary connector should have 8 pins. And as you already found out the connectors on the ends are different. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:22:17 PM by phato1 »
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 09:25:43 PM »

How many terminals (pins) are in each plug (#7 and #8) unless I'm totally messed up - which is possible- or the MOCO changed this also on the Rushmore bikes - the DATA LINK connector - which is where you or a technician at the dealer would interface with the ECM using a computer or digital technician - should have 4 pins or terminals and the Auxiliary connector should have 8 pins. And as you already found out the connectors on the ends are different. 
I think the top one has 6 and the bottom one 4. Two guys over on HDF posted up that the pix in the manual is wrong. One guy is running a tuner out of the bottom plug on his '15 CUSE and added the switches like I did to the top plug.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 09:30:02 PM »

I think the top one has 6 and the bottom one 4. Two guys over on HDF posted up that the pix in the manual is wrong. One guy is running a tuner out of the bottom plug on his '15 CUSE and added the switches like I did to the top plug.

That's what I figured (that the manual was wrong,they probably have been using that same picture and description forever - well at least a long time anyway). You should be all set with the way you connected it.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 09:39:42 PM »

Yup, the picture is wrong.  The Data connector is a 6 pin/black, and the accessory connector is an 8 pin/grey.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 09:54:49 PM »

Thanks guys. Now I just need to figure out where to mount that harness and run some wires to it. Looks like it's time to pull the tank.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 09:05:01 PM »

Just to update this post. I wiggled that harness in under the seat. I then ran the wires from the driving lights to the lead off the harness with the relay and my accent LED lighting to the other lead. They all work great  :2vrolijk_21:

ACfixer

• Global Warming Enthusiast
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLSTSCi Springer
    • CVO3: Honda Pioneer 1000-5
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 10:22:56 PM »

What driving lights did you use?
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue/Crushed Sapphire
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 06:20:10 AM »

What driving lights did you use?
Home made ones. Dyna turn signals that I gutted and put LED sockets and bulbs in them. Had to buy a spare swivel turn signal mount also.

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.