Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Absolutely Unreal 2015 CVO Road Glide - Paint Issues  (Read 10512 times)

dankwiz

Absolutely Unreal 2015 CVO Road Glide - Paint Issues
« on: February 24, 2015, 07:24:12 AM »

Good news is Dealer called and told me my new Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset arrived and I could come and take a look.  Bad news, apparently mine, one other exactly like it and one CVO Street Glide all came in the same shipment and the paint on all three is shot and needs to be completely replaced   !  Every single part.  Upon review, the color below the clear coat was just a mess.  Parts guy told me parts bill back to H-D (without labor) for the warranty work is almost 15 grand.    It's winter here so not the end of the world and they are installing all of my accessories for free as everything will be off already, but I am not happy knowing the likelihood of them putting it all back together correctly is slim to none.  Its going to be tough handing over the 40K plus knowing this particularly when I traded in my perfect 2014 Limited for the Roadie.  I sure hope I didn't make a mistake.

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
Re: Absolutely Unreal 2015 CVO Road Glide - Paint Issues
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 08:07:28 AM »

Wow - that's a poor situation and one that wouldn't offer much comfort level. I'd even consider taking whatever deduct they'd offer for the paint and having it custom painted by some reputable shop. Wish you well with this dankwiz...

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 08:17:00 AM »

Bolting on the "tins" is pretty straight forward. Unless that dealer has some pretty bad techs, you should be OK. Only other option is ask for another bike. Dealers are allowed only so many CVO's, worth a try. My concern would be time involved in getting replacement tins, I know some have waited 10+ weeks for painted parts.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 08:55:40 AM »

Is the MoCo sending new tins or repainting the defective ones? New ones would be delivered within a couple days of MoCo approving the fix if they are readily available in stock. Is it a model that has the frame is painted to match the tins? If so how does the frame look?
Good Luck with your new baby.
Stay Safe!

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 09:43:49 AM »

Once you finally get your bike after the refit, take it to a reputable trusted HD builder and have him go over the bike for a few minutes to see of it was re assembled correctly. If any issues come up they will be in or around the front fairing.Where all the action is. Things like wire routing, proper clips, washers, and correct torque or tightness on nuts and bolts are all easily assessed fairly quickly. If anything is a miss, make a list and go back to HD.  That is what I would do.  The dealer re doing 3 bikes like that in a hurry, who knows what slips they might make. Good luck.  Oh, also check for scratches on newly installed body work. Some tins like the rear fender need very careful alignment as it is going in. Easy to scratch things up while bolting together. Check for scratches your self very carefully before you pick it up from HD.  Cheers.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

mark

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 09:55:39 AM »

As previously stated, swapping out painted parts is pretty straight forward.  I'd recommend doing what I did when taking delivery of your bike (after the painted parts are replaced):  have the dealer roll it to a well lit area and leave you alone for 30 min.  Go over the bike and look for any imperfections.  If you find something, have them address the issue before taking the bike.  Based on my past experiences, I'd never accept a bike that needs a repair/replaced part on a promise by the dealer that they'll fix it after you take delivery. 

BTW...there's been so many problems with 2015 CVO paint, I can't imagine HD sticking with the same vendor for 2016.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 10:01:08 AM by Mark »

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 10:31:47 AM »

I used to refer to Harley paint as colored butter. scratched or marked just as easy as butter coming off an object.  My 2006 was slightly better and 2010 was pretty tough, at least the lowers didn't show the shotgun pattern from road debris after 30k miles the others did. Must have either rode cleaner places or really was a better paint.

Also remember the 2003 aniv bikes with two tones had trouble with the silver and all the denim paints were some problem or another. Havent seen a new one in a while though with any problems..

far as bolting on tins, any monkey can do it if they take their time. Just look at front fender close, easy to try an change without removing tire, and mess it up where leg bolt holes scratch the sides when moving around to line up...tank and side covers are easy...back fender is tight too.
Will

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 01:27:34 PM »

"...there's been so many problems with 2015 CVO paint, I can't imagine HD sticking with the same vendor for 2016."

I thought HD has in house paint.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

tpcrawford

• Tim
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 02:19:04 PM »

"...there's been so many problems with 2015 CVO paint, I can't imagine HD sticking with the same vendor for 2016."

I thought HD has in house paint.

HD does do all of their own paint ...Except the CVO's.   CVO's go out to another vendor .....
2014 FLHTKSE CVO Ultra Limited, Stardust Silver, Autumn Sunset
2010 FLHTK Ultra Limited, Flame Blue, Vivid Black  --  SOLD
2007 VRSCAW VROD, Black Cherry Pearl  -- SOLD

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 03:39:36 PM »

-----------------------------------------------------
BTW...there's been so many problems with 2015 CVO paint, I can't imagine HD sticking with the same vendor for 2016.

I hate to be the negative guy giving everyone a reality check again, but Harley used the same vendor for CVO painted parts for many years, even though they had huge problems in 2005 and 2006 that should have caused them to lose the contract immediately.  More recently, the other vendor they took on to do some of the Softail work has had all kinds of problems with the Breakout paint, even to the point of forcing Harley to curtail production of the bikes, and yet Harley is still using them as well.  Quality is obviously not the overriding concern at H-D.  If this one dealer recently received three bikes with the same serious paint defects, bad enough to require replacing all the painted parts, what does that tell you about not only the vendor's quality control, but Harley's as well?  Sounds just like in 2006, when H-D knew the paint wasn't right and yet they kept shipping the bikes out the door.

The only way I'd accept a bike that has been stripped of all painted parts and then put back together again by the dealership is if they let me watch the entire process.  All the wiring needs to be done exactly the way it was originally, with all routing and retainers exactly to spec.  All fasteners need to be new, in the case of plastic push pins and similar items designed for one time use.  All threaded fasteners must be installed using proper tools and proper torque.  ETC.  And when it's all back together, I'd want to spend an hour going over it with a fine tooth comb for any damage.  If the dealer knew my requirements beforehand and agreed to them, then perhaps the job would actually be given to a fully qualified and conscientious person, not the rookie recently promoted from wash boy.  And perhaps the parts would be installed with protection in place to prevent scuffs and scratches.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

havenolife

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO ROAD KING
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 04:11:35 PM »

That does suck tell them give you the $15000.00 have it painted the way you like and have a one of or a life time no deductible warranty.

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 04:25:06 PM »

I hate to be the negative guy giving everyone a reality check again, but Harley used the same vendor for CVO painted parts for many years, even though they had huge problems in 2005 and 2006 that should have caused them to lose the contract immediately.  More recently, the other vendor they took on to do some of the Softail work has had all kinds of problems with the Breakout paint, even to the point of forcing Harley to curtail production of the bikes, and yet Harley is still using them as well.  Quality is obviously not the overriding concern at H-D.  If this one dealer recently received three bikes with the same serious paint defects, bad enough to require replacing all the painted parts, what does that tell you about not only the vendor's quality control, but Harley's as well?  Sounds just like in 2006, when H-D knew the paint wasn't right and yet they kept shipping the bikes out the door.

The only way I'd accept a bike that has been stripped of all painted parts and then put back together again by the dealership is if they let me watch the entire process.  All the wiring needs to be done exactly the way it was originally, with all routing and retainers exactly to spec.  All fasteners need to be new, in the case of plastic push pins and similar items designed for one time use.  All threaded fasteners must be installed using proper tools and proper torque.  ETC.  And when it's all back together, I'd want to spend an hour going over it with a fine tooth comb for any damage.  If the dealer knew my requirements beforehand and agreed to them, then perhaps the job would actually be given to a fully qualified and conscientious person, not the rookie recently promoted from wash boy.  And perhaps the parts would be installed with protection in place to prevent scuffs and scratches.

Jerry
Thanks was drafting a similar reply, you said it better, reminiscent of AMF days when quality control was non existant

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 05:37:37 PM »

Mind saying why you went through with the transaction?

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 07:14:25 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:

Bad news, apparently mine, one other exactly like it and one CVO Street Glide all came in the same shipment and the paint on all three is shot and needs to be completely replaced   !  Every single part.  Upon review, the color below the clear coat was just a mess.   I sure hope I didn't make a mistake.

:worthless:
 :worthless:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 07:21:39 PM »

Good question...

Another question is why the dealership would complete the transaction....   :nixweiss:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 24 queries.