Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for a mellower sound in a Vance and Hines setup?  (Read 2246 times)

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
Looking for a mellower sound in a Vance and Hines setup?
« on: June 24, 2015, 10:40:06 AM »

I've had some loud pipes in the past, and I've loved them all, but when we bought the new CVO, my wife and I decided to compromise (just a little) on the loudness.  I know this goes against the grain for many of you out there, so I apologize in advance!
Anyway, with having the awesome new Boom Box 6.5 and us doing a lot of riding, we wanted to be able to hear the stereo a little better and also hear each other without yelling, so after doing a lot of research, I installed the Vance and Hines Power Duals along with V&H Monster Rounds.  We kept the same SE breather and added a SE Pro Tuner and dyno time.
The results were impressive.  The throttle response is pretty much instantaneous now, and just WAY BETTER than stock!  I'm only developing 108 ft lb of torque, but that's plenty for us, and still tons of fun. 
But the sound was what we were after.  This is my 4th set of V&H pipes, and while they don't sound as "Harleyesque" and percussively loud as my Staggered Long Shots on my old Heritage did, they produce an impressive low rumble that lets people know a Harley just rode by!
We still have to talk loudly, but we can hear each other now, and the radio only has to be at half volume to be heard well.
Anyway, we like the new setup, and I gotta say the Power Duals look muscular and awesome!  Plus the exhaust tips on the Monster Rounds are a classy finishing touch! 
So if you're looking for a more sedate sound, while not losing the low slap and percussive rumble that we all want, you could do worse!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 05:18:20 PM by RGlideKid »
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

Cabo

• Senior CVO Member
  • OWOF

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE(Sold)
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: Looking for a mellower sound in a Vance and Hines setup?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 10:50:27 AM »

I  put these on before I took delivery.. http://products.vanceandhines.com/store/1995-touring/16465/  I also wanted a little less noise, but needed more low end torque and response over the factory setup.  It is a little louder than I expected but talking and the radio are all achievable.  I have not dyno'ed it yet but waiting for the 1k..got 700 the first weekend and loved the bike!
2015 CVO™ ROAD GLIDE® ULTRA
04 FLHTCSE(Sold)

Cabo

• Senior CVO Member
  • OWOF

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 10:51:21 AM »

Also the carbon fiber tips are really cool and go with the carbon fiber inserts on the bike...
04 FLHTCSE(Sold)

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 10:56:22 AM »

Yeah, those carbon fiber tips are a great match for your bike!  I have yet to see one like yours in person, but I'll bet that Autumn Sunset color just explodes in sunlight!
I considered the carbon fiber tips but the extra $100? or so wasn't in the cards for us.  Our billet tips are sweet and they way they are machined gives them a killer look. 
Thanks for sharing!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 05:18:03 PM by RGlideKid »
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

Cabo

• Senior CVO Member
  • OWOF

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 12:13:53 PM »

I actually bought the 450's but their inventory was wrong and I needed the bike asap..got the upgrade ($100++) for no charge..
04 FLHTCSE(Sold)

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 12:58:34 PM »

This is my 4th set of V&H pipes, and while they don't sound as "Harleyesque" and percussively loud as my Staggered Long Shots on my old Heritage did, they produce an impressive low rumble that lets people know a Harley just rode by!

I went the same route on my SEUC, but selected the Monster Ovals. I was at my dealership one day and they had just modified a touring bike with the same exhaust I was checking into - Fullsac headers & V&H slip-ons. I liked how it sounded and after some research on the Monster Ovals, decided to buy them because they tone down a bit at highway speeds. I try to protect my hearing when riding these days and thought these may aid that effort. No issues hearing tunes with these pipes when I had the stock radio installed.

jpdchicago

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE 2014
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 02:50:01 PM »

I've had some loud pipes in the past, and I've loved them all, but when we bought the new CVO, my wife and I decided to compromise (just a little) on the loudness.  I know this goes against the grain for many of you out there, so I apologize in advance!
Anyway, with having the awesome new Boom Box 6.5 and us doing a lot of riding, we wanted to be able to hear the stereo a little better and also hear each other without yelling, so after doing a lot of research, I installed the Vance and Hines Power Duals along with V&H Monster Rounds.  We kept the same SE breather and added a SE Pro Tuner and dyno time.
The results were impressive.  The throttle response is pretty much instantaneous now, and just WAY BETTER than stock!  I'm only developing 108 ft lb of torque, but that's plenty for us, and still tons of fun. 

I could not have said it better!
I love the look and the sound as well. Only difference, I am using V&H FP3.
But the sound was what we were after.  This is my 4th set of V&H pipes, and while they don't sound as "Harleyesque" and percussively loud as my Staggered Long Shots on my old Heritage did, they produce an impressive low rumble that lets people know a Harley just rode by!
We still have to talk loudly, but we can hear each other now, and the radio only has to be at half volume to be heard well.
Anyway, we like the new setup, and I gotta say the Power Duals look muscular and awesome!  Plus the exhaust tips on the Monster Rounds are a classy finishing touch! 
So if you're looking for a more sedate sound, while not losing the low slap and percussive rumble that we all want, you could do worse!

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 24 queries.