Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Run to the redwoods 2015......  (Read 14491 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Run to the redwoods 2015......
« on: July 31, 2015, 09:51:54 PM »

I left work here in San Diego around noon last Wed. and headed north on I-5.  Uneventful for the most part until I got close to Santa Nella on I-5.  My bike said I had ten miles left on my gas and the gas station was only three more miles.....no problem.

Two miles later I was coasting to the side of the freeway.....completely out of gas.  I tried rocking it, etc. to no avail.  I spent my whole life talking bad about people that run out of gas but at 64 I experience first hand........out in the middle on no where!    Thank God for Road America!

While I was waiting for the truck to bring gas I sent a text to Andy telling him.  He had a one word reply "rookie". :P  His next text said "just think hot tub....hot tub.....hot tub".

Forty minutes later I'm rolling down the freeway towards civilization.  I can hardly wait to get to Andy's to see Phase I, the entrance and pool deck, to Andy & Sherry's exterior renovation.  Upon arrival I noticed immediately, before even entering the driveway, dramatic differences from the last time I was there.

The entrance gate with an interesting water feature built in the fence next to the gate.....

and then these panels of cut stone that's semi-transparent and let's light shine through....

There are several fire pits and several water features on the pool deck (you'll have to excuse the blurred photos)...

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Re: Run to the redwoods 2015......
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 09:52:55 PM »

and water falls at both ends of the pool....the two story guest house on the side of the hill behind the pool.

and one of Andy's friends.....

Sunrise as I came out of the guest house.....

Andy, Sherry it's incredibly beautiful and far nicer than I could even imagine as you described it.  Once the planters and plants are in it will be even more beautiful!  I can't wait to see Phase 2 get completed.  :2vrolijk_21:

« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 10:35:24 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 09:54:08 PM »

The next morning I went straight over to Metal Dragon for Jim to do a service.....where Don and Andy showed up.  Also arriving at Metal Dragon for the first time is an old friend of mine for the past 25 years and a new to him CVO owner, Scott aka SScooter5150. 

Riding I-880, a five lane wide freeway....I noticed a little bike on the right shoulder and as I rode by in the second lane the lady yelled something at me.  I pulled to the shoulder to learn that she had run out of gas.  Considering what had happened to me a day earlier, out on I-5, out in the middle of no where, I was very understanding.

I couldn't pronounce her name, let alone spell it but she was a very nice lady.  She explained to me that she was from Gutemala and that she'd rode this bike to California from there.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 09:54:54 PM »

Scott and I went for breakfast while Jim was servicing my bike....

Don showed up at the shop......very impatient to hit the road....

As usual at Jim's shop......CVO row

and then Andy rolled in on one of his CVOs

I remember when this big boy was just a pup....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 09:55:38 PM »

Finally, Andy, Don, Scott and I are rolling north....

a glimpse of San Francisco as we rode over the Richmond/San Rafael Bridge

This car passes me and I quickly realize that these are real bullet holes and not the fake ones.  Notice the passenger...

On Hwy. 101 headed north

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 09:56:46 PM »

arriving in the late afternoon we headed straight to the historic Samoa Cookhouse for dinner.  http://www.samoacookhouse.net/

There was to be a large car show this same weekend so the cars were every where including the Samoa Cookhouse...

Inside, the same tables that many lumber men and women ate at and so you will be seated at a table with others and it's all served family style (ie large bowl of  potatoes, large bowl of salad, large plate of meat, etc.).  One price and you eat until you can't eat anymore.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 09:57:26 PM »

Heading back over the bridges to Eureka....

and of course the token stop by the Carson Mansion....  http://www.ingomar.org/photos-mansion.html

and another old victorian in Old Town Eureka

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 09:58:09 PM »

and finally our home for the evening, Best Western Fortuna, Ca.  Looks like it would be a nice home base for a GTG.

This hotel has an interesting pool.....half outside and half inside.

West Coast GTG   

CVOMOE!!

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • BC

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 10:03:16 PM »

Great photos JC.  Thanks for sharing.  Awesome looking pool area Andy.  I'll have to get down for a visit some time.

Cheers, Moe
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Banana - Sold
Freedom Tru-duals
Power Commander
Dyno tuned
Now a 107" with Cycle Shack exhaust and Race Tuner
2007 BMW1200GS - What a hoot - Sold May 2010
2011 Triumph Tiger 800 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere - Sold
2014 Yamaha XT250 - Sold
2014 BMW F800GS - Sold
2014 Kawasaki KLX 351
2017 Triumph Explorer 1200
2017 Harley Ultra Classic Ltd

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 10:06:22 PM »

Outstanding JC!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 11:06:44 PM »

We stopped by Redwood Harley Davidson.  Found an interesting t-shirt.....

Beautiful countryside in this part of our great state.  But there were plenty of areas that reflect the damages of our drought.  Let's hope this is our last year and we have a very wet winter.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 11:07:39 PM »

Rivers that are usually flowing heavy.....after years of a drought....now nothing more than a trickle creek with a lot of bare bottom.

Heading south on Hwy. 101 to our Fri night's destination, Best Western Garberville, we take the more scenic route.....35 miles along Avenue of The Giants.  If you've never been here before there are four or five roads that every rider should ride at least once in their life....the Million Dollar Hwy, Bear Tooth Pass, Tail of the Dragon, California's Hwy.1 (aka PCH or Pacific Coast Hwy.) and of course....The Avenue of The Giants.  It's one of those roads that if your parents brought you here as a child....you still remember it.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 11:08:31 PM »

The Immortal Tree....

To give you perspective, this is a close up of the base of the Immortal Tree...enough lumber to build several homes in this one tree.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 11:09:14 PM »

Ferndale is an old victorian town that you'll all want to visit.  Only the sign this time....

http://www.victorianferndale.com/

CVOs make a great contrast for these woods....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 12:15:27 AM »

We finally arrived at our destination, the Best Western in Garberville, Calif.  Garberville is most widely known for being home of the Redwood Run.....the largest run in Calif.

West Coast GTG   
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 25 queries.