Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2015 RG CVO  (Read 5699 times)

RG RON

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

2015 RG CVO
« on: September 07, 2015, 04:39:37 PM »

Not sure where to post this so mods if not the right place please move it. I have about 1500 miles on my  RG CVO, been riding several years on different bikes, metric and the last few years Harley's. I came off a 13 RG Ultra which was a great bike, but when I seen the CVO RG Ultra I just had to have it. I just can't seem to get comfy riding this bike for some reason. The 13 was no problem settling down with. This is the first bike that I've owned that has the hyd clutch and still not used to it and the 13 with the 103 seems to have more torque from a start off (103) vs the (110). I love the 110 acceleration but just can't seem to get a handle on this bike. I guess it doesn't help that I've had more close calls in the last month then the past 5 to 10 years, and have even considered giving up riding. Difficult riding and trying to enjoy, relax ect when your constantly on the look out for other's, appears worse now than before. Thoughts ?

tdkkart

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

Re: 2015 RG CVO
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 06:00:36 PM »

Have you moved the handlebars from their ridiculous factory position??

I've seen several people having close calls of their own while gawking at my bike.
2015 CVO Road Glide

RG RON

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 06:15:14 PM »

No bar adjustment, bars feel comfy as they are, but may consider it. My first red bike, I told a friend of mine that I must have the optional target on the faring and on the tourpak   ::) I don't believe people looking at the bike, but could be it just seems like their are to many people just doing dumb stuff, and not paying attention or not caring or both. Some patience, I figure. It just amazes me that a few seconds can change many lives forever. Been trying to get more seat time on this bike but at the same time, just can't settle in on this bike. Been nice riding weather the last few days and I was only out once and all day, did I enjoy it ? Nope, was on edge all of the ride being on super alert more than usual, which takes the enjoyment away.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 07:51:05 PM »

Ron,
I don't know where you live, but the problems you're having now are common to us all.  You've put a fair amount of miles on the bike in a short time and that makes you more likely for close calls just by the odds alone. 
Close calls go with riding bikes, but it might be that it seems worse than it really is?  I was really scared just to be on a $40k bike for a while, and that still gets me from time to time.  Plus, I KNOW I drive this CVO harder than I have any other bike, and that can make for close calls too. 

5 years ago I lost my wife when we hit a deer on our '07 Electra Glide.  I was scared to death to ride after that, but something inside kept nagging at me to keep going.  The fears were in my head, and mostly not real.  Oh sure, the threat was still there.  It always will be.  It's just that I turned that threat into something that was waiting for me every tenth of a mile there for a while.  I'm not saying we should drive like there are no real threats out there, because there are, and that never means you should be careless.  What it means to me is that you know the risks and accept them because you love the sport, or you have to get out of it entirely.  I couldn't do that.  My wife loved to ride and knew how much it meant to me, and she would have been heartbroken to know I quit because of that accident.  Conversely, she would have been so proud of me for fighting back my fears and riding on. 
Different situation, I know, but it sounds like you love to ride and may be going thru a similar crisis of mind, so to speak, so I thought I'd share part of my story with you.

As to the subject of the bike, it sounds like you still need to 'make it yours'.  Little things like footboard extenders, different foot brake lever, roll the handlebars a bit.  Adjust the handlebar controls and the angle of the levers.  Maybe get a new windshield.  Things to help you ergonomically.  Take your seat off and adjust your backrest.  Whatever it takes.  You've bought an awesome machine, and it's just waiting to be the love of your life, brother.

As far as cagers go..they don't look and even when they do, they don't see you.  So add some driving lights up front.  Add a brakelight modulator in the back.  Change your front turn signals to daytime running lights.  Drive with your high beam on during the day.  Make yourself as visible and differentiated as possible.  Drive slower when the risk is higher.  And above all...drive like you're invisible. 

I hope there's something in here that will help you, Ron.  I'd hate to see you quit riding, but in the end, only you can decide what's best for you.
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

Kingspoke

• 2012 CVO Ultra FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire/Stardust
  • Senior CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUSE - Wicked Sapphire/Stardust Silver
    • CA

• CVO1: 12 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire/Stardust Silver
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 08:46:02 PM »

I guess RGlideKid said it all, in a very poignant way, which also speaks to his passion for life.  My condolences to RGlideKid.
He is correct in that we all feel that way at one time or another.  Maybe consider giving it a rest with a change in seasons, and use the time to do some mods to make it more comfortable for you.

What ever your passion, enjoy life's opportunities and live it to the fullest.
Dragula 2-1, TTS Mastertune, SE 585+4, S&S prem. lifters & adj pushrods, 106hp/117tq, Chubby 577's, Ohlins HD159 & FKC-101 fork cartridge, LSR stealth 10" dark tint, Billet Boy LED tail lite, Kury LED turn signals, Air Wing tour rack LED, HD Siren II w/pager, CD LED front signals, OPT7 LED driving & headlight, Kicker KSC674 tourpack speakers.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 09:14:13 PM »

HYD clutch does take some getting use to.  In fact they are different from one harley with a Hyd clutch to the next.  I have been riding CVO's with Hyd clutches since 09.

I practice with each new one, in the dealer parking lot on their range.  I just spend a while getting use to the friction zone, where it grabs and so on.  I practice slow and quick starts also to get use to it.

I had my closest call ever three Friday nights ago.  Turning onto the 8 mile long dead end I live on, I hit a deer.  I was doing about 35~40 when I made the turn as is more of a good curve, at 0100 in the morning.  Half way thru a spike comes running across from left to right as I was turning left.  I straightened up and locked up front and rear brakes.  Deer saw me and turned a little left.  The left fork and front fender hit the rear right hind quarter of the deer I was at about 10~15 mph at contact.  I did not go down.  Bent the front end and fender of my 03 Fatboy.  I was very shaken.  Sat there for 10 minutes before I rode the last 3 miles home. 

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 09:35:24 PM »

Ron,

I traded a SERG3 for my RGU.  I already had the hydraulic clutch and loved it from the start so I can't help you there.  Because of the new radiators, a number of us felt the rear brake lever to be too high and close so we replaced them.  I couldn't keep my right heel on the floor board when using the rear brake. That was a bit unnerving.   It seemed to me that the seat pushes me forward more than my last bike but now I like it.  You weren't very specific as to how your bike might otherwise be uncomfortable but those are my thoughts.  Here's what I've done:  2015 RGU: I'm Blue... So Blue...    As you can see, it's not that much.

As mentioned in my bike thread,  I went down, gently, on my last bike.  It affected my confidence for awhile.  Any near miss or accident can be unnerving.  Maybe one of your near misses got to you more than you realize.  If so, just take it easy for a time.  Most likely, you'll be fine. 

Kid,

It's Harry if I recall correctly.  Very sorry for your loss but happy for you that you rode on.  Your comments are right on.  Good luck to you.

Greg

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 10:24:25 PM »

Not sure where to post this so mods if not the right place please move it. I have about 1500 miles on my  RG CVO, been riding several years on different bikes, metric and the last few years Harley's. I came off a 13 RG Ultra which was a great bike, but when I seen the CVO RG Ultra I just had to have it. I just can't seem to get comfy riding this bike for some reason. The 13 was no problem settling down with. This is the first bike that I've owned that has the hyd clutch and still not used to it and the 13 with the 103 seems to have more torque from a start off (103) vs the (110). I love the 110 acceleration but just can't seem to get a handle on this bike. I guess it doesn't help that I've had more close calls in the last month then the past 5 to 10 years, and have even considered giving up riding. Difficult riding and trying to enjoy, relax ect when your constantly on the look out for other's, appears worse now than before. Thoughts ?

Welcome to the board Ron.  I'm sorry to hear that riding is just not enjoyable for you on this new bike but maybe with a few tweaks (seat, handlebars, etc.) it may become much more comfortable.

On the down side, yes, it has gotten worse over the past forty plus years of riding....a lot more cars on the road.  But even crossing the deserts of Nev. Utah and Ariz where you might not see a car for a long time.....you still have to stay constantly aware for that rabbit, squirrel, etc. that might run across the road just as you're passing and throw you off balance just enough to cause you to go down.  You have to remain ever vigalent.   

And city riding is much worse....youngsters with stereos turned up to where they don't hear a Harley right next to them....besides, they're texting.  Foreigners that are in the fast lane doing 50 miles and hour and all of a sudden decide they want your lane without warning, etc.  It's constant, that's for sure.

You don't say where you're located or your age.  But at what point/age do we quit riding has to be decided on by each individual person......some quit in their 50s or 60s while others are still riding in their 80s.  :nixweiss:

You don't mention if you've done anything to increase your HP or TQ for that easily do-able by just getting the Fullsac package (baffles, X pipe, tuner).  I do believe that subtle changes in seat, bars, floorboards may make your bike more comfortable for you.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 10:49:22 PM »

Ron,  ergo's are truly important.  I would suggest do everything you can to get your bike to fit YOU.  As for the near misses I suggest that you have the headlight moved up.  Every Harley I have seen with the new headlights have them adjusted way to low.  I pulled a guy over a few weeks ago because he was behind me by about 150yrds and I thought his headlight was not working.  I personally always ride with my high beams on and the passing lights also.  I strongly recommend getting a set of aux passing lights and adjust them high.  I look like a freight train coming and it has cut down near misses by 60-70%.  Yes there are some truly oblivious people out there but the more noticeable the better.  I have also put in the custom dynamics brake light modulator, which is plug and play,  and only takes 10 minutes to install.  Lastly I choose not to ride in conjested areas, bad weather, or late at night.  As a wise man sad." You can make your own luck, by the choices you make.
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

RG RON

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 08:41:15 AM »

Ron,
I don't know where you live, but the problems you're having now are common to us all.  You've put a fair amount of miles on the bike in a short time and that makes you more likely for close calls just by the odds alone. 
Close calls go with riding bikes, but it might be that it seems worse than it really is?  I was really scared just to be on a $40k bike for a while, and that still gets me from time to time.  Plus, I KNOW I drive this CVO harder than I have any other bike, and that can make for close calls too. 

5 years ago I lost my wife when we hit a deer on our '07 Electra Glide.  I was scared to death to ride after that, but something inside kept nagging at me to keep going.  The fears were in my head, and mostly not real.  Oh sure, the threat was still there.  It always will be.  It's just that I turned that threat into something that was waiting for me every tenth of a mile there for a while.  I'm not saying we should drive like there are no real threats out there, because there are, and that never means you should be careless.  What it means to me is that you know the risks and accept them because you love the sport, or you have to get out of it entirely.  I couldn't do that.  My wife loved to ride and knew how much it meant to me, and she would have been heartbroken to know I quit because of that accident.  Conversely, she would have been so proud of me for fighting back my fears and riding on. 
Different situation, I know, but it sounds like you love to ride and may be going thru a similar crisis of mind, so to speak, so I thought I'd share part of my story with you.

As to the subject of the bike, it sounds like you still need to 'make it yours'.  Little things like footboard extenders, different foot brake lever, roll the handlebars a bit.  Adjust the handlebar controls and the angle of the levers.  Maybe get a new windshield.  Things to help you ergonomically.  Take your seat off and adjust your backrest.  Whatever it takes.  You've bought an awesome machine, and it's just waiting to be the love of your life, brother.

As far as cagers go..they don't look and even when they do, they don't see you.  So add some driving lights up front.  Add a brakelight modulator in the back.  Change your front turn signals to daytime running lights.  Drive with your high beam on during the day.  Make yourself as visible and differentiated as possible.  Drive slower when the risk is higher.  And above all...drive like you're invisible. 

I hope there's something in here that will help you, Ron.  I'd hate to see you quit riding, but in the end, only you can decide what's best for you.
Kid, thanks so much for your reply. Hard to imagine what you've been through but all you said makes sense. I've been around bikes most of my life and as a passenger on the back of my dad's bikes in the 70's. I to have had tragedy in my life when it comes to bikes. Memorial day 1972, I was on the back of dad's bike with our neighbors who also rode. My dad was the first bike, then my best friend at the time, mother on her bike and he was with his dad on the 3rd bike. Took a turn and she had crossed the centerline and contacted a car head on. I seen it all as I had turned around  for some reason I just felt that car was going to meet her in that turn. Time we got turned around the husband to avoid hitting her laying in the road layed his bike over and skidded across the road. I was there to console my friend who's mother had just passed from the impact and my dad went over to check her condition, which she was gone immediately then was there for the husband until the EMS folks arrived. I have had tragedy involving bikes in my life. Just 2 years ago my second cousin was in a serious accident on a trip home, but survived, and to this day has not got back to riding. I still love bikes and will always will but lately having lost my son almost 4 years ago while deployed to Afghanistan and having a daughter and 3 grandchildren, one who is my son's, makes me think some lately. Talked with a good friend of mine just last night on the phone and he said he lost 2 friends in recent months from bike accidents. He had one but sold it a week ago. Got to know him through drag racing and he said he would take his chances on a track in a controlled environment and his risks vs someone else who take's risks. I guess just taking a break give's one perspective on one's immortality. Being retired now I have time to enjoy the things that life brings while I'm still in decent shape health wise. Like today wife left for work and the next few days, going to be nice and reading your and other's replies gets the riding juices flowing so who knows. I guess the interest is still there. I got this bike in early August, thanks for your input on this subject, oh by the way I live in South Central Pa. Riding season will soon come to a close, but heated grips and seat will give me some more weeks to extend that once I get my head cleared. Sorry of your experience involving a bike, your truly an inspiration to all of us, THANKS AGAIN,,,,,, Ron....

RG RON

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 09:01:57 AM »

I'm going to ad on to my previous reply to Kid. I have switched the passenger floorboards as noted on here on another post on this forums. I couldn't quite understand why when backing up they made contact with my lower calves. Switching sides took care of that issue, This bike appears to have me sitting up higher  than the 13. I guess it makes me feel like I'm sitting on the bike instead of sitting down in the bike, if you can understand that. Been riding for over 25 years or closer to 30 I suppose. 3 weeks ago I slowly dropped it at an intersection, which didn't do any damage except my pride. First time in my riding experience that ever happened . I just approach the stop wrong because the blacktop was sunk in from heavy trucks, plus my mind wasn't on my riding that morning, all my fault. I should've taken the cage that day but figured time on the bike would help, but it didn't that day. That really set me back some confidence wise.

2014WtGld

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 09:28:56 AM »

Hi Ron,
I too feel that looking out for others and always being on high alert takes away some of the riding enjoyment. But I also feel that riding has made me a better driver also because I stay alert even in my cage now. I'm 5"11  and my 15 RGU also was a bit taller than my 14 Sgs. I lowered the bike one inch and it is now a lot more comfortable to me setting still and didn't seem to take away the ride much at all. (As for your friend and drag racing. I have drag raced most of my life and have had close calls there also. Have had friends seriously injured. There is a risk with everything we do no matter what it is.) I hope you can settle into the bike and it becomes enjoyable to you again. ( My condolences to you and your family for the lose of your son. Something I hope I'm not around to experience. )

09nessrg

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2012 Skunk CVO
    • CVO3: 2009 RG Custom
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 09:30:42 AM »

RG Ron, what passenger floorboards did you switch & what do you mean "switched sides"?
Thanks

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 10:19:37 AM »

Ron,
Your story makes mine pale in comparison.  Neither me nor my wife remembered any part of the accident.  I have always figured God blacked us both out for the bad part.  She passed away on a med flight to Little Rock later, she just fell asleep forever on the flight.  Unfortunately, you didn't have that with your friends mom, and I know that moment is forever etched in your mind. 

I truly am sorry for the loss of your son.  We couldn't have children, but I know what it's like to lose my best friend, lover, and lifetime companion.  No father should have to bury his child, but it happens, my friend.  Why, we won't know until we get to talk that over with God one day, and then you'll end up agreeing with His logic and all of this life will seem like a dream and a drop in the bucket.
I know that's the way it'll be for me when I get to see my wife again, and my Saviour.

Brother, you need to pray about your situation.  Seek God's guidance.  I don't believe He is the kind of God to take others home as a "lesson" of some sort to you.  But I do believe He speaks to our minds and hearts.  If that's what is going on, you need to listen to Him.  If your prayers don't reveal more about that, then maybe He's OK with you riding and wants you to work your way through it all. 

But don't let anyone talk you into riding or staying with the sport.  Not ever.  That's your decision and yours alone.  And don't ride on days when you feel weird about it.  You need to be up for it when you do get out there.

PM me if you ever just want to talk, brother.

Harry

Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

RG RON

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 01:27:08 PM »

RG Ron, what passenger floorboards did you switch & what do you mean "switched sides"?
Thanks
Sorry took so long to get back. I had wondered why when backing up especially down my driveway from the garage that I had to take very small steps to back the bike up. I did some lurking here before I registered and seen that another member here had switched mounts from left to right. I apologise for stating the pass. floorboards but actually the mounts. Switching them moves the boards back the distance of the mount length, about 1 to 2 inches, was just enough to work for me.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 25 queries.