Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rivera pro clutch  (Read 2792 times)

hogasm

Rivera pro clutch
« on: February 20, 2007, 08:45:36 PM »

Got new rivera pro clutch and lock  up today and the rep from Rivera said you have to shorten the clutch rod for this set up to work with a hydraulic clutch.

Rivera does not offer a shorter rod. They say the rod is flame hardened and it is an easy operation to re harden the rod. This is no problem. Heat and dunk into hot oil to cool.

No where in the instructions does it say that the rod needs to be shortened.

Has anyone run into this with the hydraulic clutch?

SPIDERMAN

Re: Rivera pro clutch
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 10:01:59 PM »

Got new rivera pro clutch and lock  up today and the rep from Rivera said you have to shorten the clutch rod for this set up to work with a hydraulic clutch.

Rivera does not offer a shorter rod. They say the rod is flame hardened and it is an easy operation to re harden the rod. This is no problem. Heat and dunk into hot oil to cool.

No where in the instructions does it say that the rod needs to be shortened.

Has anyone run into this with the hydraulic clutch?

Brian,
        If you eff up, I've got an extra rod I'll send you. Having said that, as you know, the rod rides in a bearing on the clutch side. If you've ever worn out the old screw thread ball bearing rod set-up on a cable clutch, you know you have to have the thing adjusted just so or the bearing wears out. I'd be asking Rivera EXACTLY what the overall length of the rod should be after cutting (and rerounding the piston end of the rod) If you can cut it with a cold saw, you won't need to re-harden it. Also, a cold saw should give you a much more precise cut. Seems to me the damn thing's gotta be on to 0.005 or you're gonna burn out that bearing.

B B

hogasm

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 06:56:05 PM »

What I don't understand is that the tech at Rivers said that the rod needs to be cut down, but there is nothing in the instructions to do so.

Hate to start this project with loose ends. Expecialy so close to Daytona.

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 07:47:31 PM »

What I don't understand is that the tech at Rivers said that the rod needs to be cut down, but there is nothing in the instructions to do so.

Hate to start this project with loose ends. Expecialy so close to Daytona.

Brian, as you know I ordered one of these clutches for my bike, but there is another piece you need to order for hydraulic clutch operation.  Unfortunately, I don't know what it is offhand as the dealer ordered mine.  I'll be down at Bayside tomorrow and I'll check it again and let you know.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

hogasm

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 08:46:24 PM »

Thanks. Call me when you find out.

hogasm

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 01:14:55 PM »

Talked to Pete 4584 Thursday. He ordered a new clutch and gave me his part numbers. They were not the  same as the ones I was told I needed.

Called Rivera again....There is a difference between the clutch from a stock bike and a bike with an added hydraulic clutch, and a Screamin Eagle bike.

If you order a clutch from Rivera, tell them what clutch you have, so you will receive the correct one.

We told the order lady we had a Screamin Eagle bike.....she did not know there was a difference so when Rivera processed the order it was for the wrong parts.

Tech guy I talked to yesterday informed the order lady of the difference, now they are sending the correct pressure plate a d bearing needed for the Screamin Eagle bike.
Now that all this is almost over I have to hand it to Rivera for their customer service :2vrolijk_21:

Still have to shorten the rod though :nixweiss:

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 08:35:28 AM »

Glad you got it right. I don't know why YOU should have to shorten the rod. They should have them as a stock item as many SE bikes that are out here on the road. OR GIVE YOU A SET OF PROPER INSTRUCTIONS FOR YOUR APPLICATION

I have never been a big fan of RIVERA. The last item I bought from them was a set of taper push rods for an EVO. I had nothing but problems with them. Finally took them out and tossed them in the trash.

I hope you get things right before Daytona.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 25 queries.