Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: PASSING LAMPS ON '07 SERKs  (Read 3916 times)

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
PASSING LAMPS ON '07 SERKs
« on: March 04, 2007, 06:42:14 PM »

I've got my name on a Candy Cobalt that is supposed to be manufactured on 03/21 (was 03/02, but moved back because of the strike).  I've seen photos somewhere of the '07 SERKs with passing lamps, but now I can't seem to locate them.  I think that I'm going to add the H-D passing lamps and relocate the turn signals from the handle bars.  If anyone has photos, I'd like to see 'em. 

I'd also considered the Motolight units mounted off the front brake calipers, but I'm not crazy about the wires attached to the brake lines.  If anyone has the Motolights, please post those photos too.

Thanks!

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
Re: PASSING LAMPS ON '07 SERKs
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 07:07:04 PM »

here is a tread that has some pics with passing lamps

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php/topic,10574.0.html

jeffj

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 07:19:21 PM »

here is a tread that has some pics with passing lamps

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php/topic,10574.0.html

jeffj

Yes that's my bike. Reply#39 lists the parts I used. I hope that helps. If you need more info, let me know! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 08:08:37 PM »

Hoist, thanks!  Seeing the photos of your bike really helps.  I think that I'm going to go with the same set up on the passing lamps/turn signals.  I've already got a quote from my dealer and the change ain't cheap.  I think that they're a little heavy on the labor, but a lot of it is in the turnsignal relocation.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 08:38:29 PM »

Hoist, thanks!  Seeing the photos of your bike really helps.  I think that I'm going to go with the same set up on the passing lamps/turn signals.  I've already got a quote from my dealer and the change ain't cheap.  I think that they're a little heavy on the labor, but a lot of it is in the turnsignal relocation.

Yeah, I kinda got ripped off a little on the labor too. But I bought the stuff at Zanottis and had my dealer do the install before delivery. I'm not crazy about how they wired them. I have to now squeeze the windshield lower mount between the wiring and the fork tube to get it into the windshield lower bushing mount. I don't really see a better place for the wiring though. Also the signals don't get relocated. Had to buy the ones referenced in the catalog, as the stock ones don't mount the same way. All in all, it was worth it. It's done now and I like them. Good luck with it. If you need help with any other items I did, let me know. Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

woody

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »

Phaze; I went with just about the same setup suggested by Hoist, and love the look. I had a road king classic before and missed the passing lights on the serk. But again Hoist is right, the wiring could be better. Kinda in the way when you install the windshield. Just have to be careful. :2vrolijk_21:
WOODY

woody

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 09:08:45 PM »

Hoist; I saw one bike that someone actually drilled the headlamp housing and used rubber grommets. Looked great, but again placement will have to be well planned so as not to interfere with the wind shield installation.
WOODY

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 09:43:47 PM »

Hoist; I saw one bike that someone actually drilled the headlamp housing and used rubber grommets. Looked great, but again placement will have to be well planned so as not to interfere with the wind shield installation.

Yeah Woody, I looked for a better way before I took the bike home. Dealer tech actually pointed it out to me, as he knew I wouldn't be thrilled. There's no good easy way ro reroute it. As my trip bike, I don't remove it that much. So for now, I'll live with it, until the wires get chafed and I'll have to figure something else out! ;) Hoist! 8)

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 10:14:55 PM »

When I referred to turn signal relocation, I guess I should have said turn signal replacement with wiring relocation.  I'm aware that they're not the same turn signals. 

I appreciate the info on the wiring.  I'm going to warn the tech of the potential wiring problem and hope that he's creative enough to get the job done right.  Bumpus has some pretty good techs and maybe they can get their heads together and come up with a good plan.

Thanks again!

Screamin' Al

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE3 Cobalt Blue
    • CVO2: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
    • CVO3: FLHXSE 2018 Dark Alloy/Black Denim
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 04:10:21 AM »

I'm also going for the passing lamps & turn signal relocation. But because I want to install the HD wind deflectors, the neat lamp/turn signal mount is not an option. I'm going for the under mounted turn signal position a la Heritage Softail/RK Classic. Don't see any problems with that, but if you know better......

Softail Al

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 06:51:33 AM »

I'm also going for the passing lamps & turn signal relocation. But because I want to install the HD wind deflectors, the neat lamp/turn signal mount is not an option. I'm going for the under mounted turn signal position a la Heritage Softail/RK Classic. Don't see any problems with that, but if you know better......

Softail Al

Hey Al how's it going ?

WTF are our bikes gonna be here ? Did you notice that they had two BI Serks delivered last week ? They weren't supposed to be here until May as well. Just typical that the two guys they are for can't take delivery at the moment and us two are gagging at the bit.

I'm going to go with the same lamp set up as Hoist - looks neat, especially with the trim rings and bezels.

69227-04A, 69228-04, 69235-04, 69622-99B, 69627-99, 68208-98A.

See ya soon.

Nige
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

Screamin' Al

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE3 Cobalt Blue
    • CVO2: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
    • CVO3: FLHXSE 2018 Dark Alloy/Black Denim
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 10:50:36 AM »

Hi Nige

Was just up to JH today and they confirmed that our bikes are down for an April build..so they say that's May at the earliest.
But as you say strange things have been happening with delivery dates......straws and clutching spring to mind!!

I'll be fitting the visor trims to all the front lamps. I had these on the Heritage and with the wind deflectors gave the bike a more "beefy" look.

Softail_Al

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 12:16:20 PM »

Hi Nige

Was just up to JH today and they confirmed that our bikes are down for an April build..so they say that's May at the earliest.
But as you say strange things have been happening with delivery dates......straws and clutching spring to mind!!

I'll be fitting the visor trims to all the front lamps. I had these on the Heritage and with the wind deflectors gave the bike a more "beefy" look.

Softail_Al

The two BI Serk's were also down for an April build and May delivery, but there they are in the shop. I think JH are just playing it safe by telling us the worst case scenario - here's hoping.

Nige

Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 08:48:37 PM »

When I referred to turn signal relocation, I guess I should have said turn signal replacement with wiring relocation.  I'm aware that they're not the same turn signals. 

I appreciate the info on the wiring.  I'm going to warn the tech of the potential wiring problem and hope that he's creative enough to get the job done right.  Bumpus has some pretty good techs and maybe they can get their heads together and come up with a good plan.

Thanks again!

I installed the passing lamps myself and found a nice chrome slip on braid to cover the wiring.  I routed the wiring out from under the slider and because its chrome covered, you cannot see them without really looking.  No where near the windshield brackets.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

twojay

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 09:28:40 PM »

I installed the passing lamps myself and found a nice chrome slip on braid to cover the wiring.  I routed the wiring out from under the slider and because its chrome covered, you cannot see them without really looking.  No where near the windshield brackets.
Skreminegul07 Would be great if you could post a pic. as I am not understanding how you routed your wiring. Dealer routed wiring for my aux. lamps going inside the mounting bracket for the lamps, which is where the windshield mounts - and then looping back around  the slider before going back into the headlamp area. After seeing how the wire was exposed I pm'd Howie and apparently his dealer routed his the same way. I had thought about doing the chrome slip on braids they you mentioned but haven't looked for any yet. Where did you find them?  Also I had discussed drilling a hole through the slider with dealer but they advised against it. If there is an alternative routing I would prefer that, so if you could provide a little more detail, for us slow learners, it would be appreciated. Thanks, jj.     
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 24 queries.