Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Heated Clothing Info Needed  (Read 4302 times)

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
Heated Clothing Info Needed
« on: November 01, 2004, 02:48:40 PM »

With the cooler weather rapidly approaching here I was thinking of purchasing a heated vest. My short look on the net has revealed that more information is needed before making a purchase. So share any experience here please. In particular I was looking at the HD stuff (made by Gerbring) and was wondering if the "thermastatic control" is needed (I am guessing they do not include this control) and on HD website they give you little or no info of what is included or what is needed to use these clothes. PLEASE HELP!!! [smiley=gossip.gif] [smiley=stars.gif] [smiley=wall.gif] [smiley=ons_1.gif] [smiley=vrolijk27.gif]

PS: Does this stuff work in cold weather
« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 02:50:01 PM by the_ofender »
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: Heated Clothing Info Needed
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 03:23:56 PM »

i have a mixture of gerbing and H-D ( rebranded gerbing ) components, yes they work great in the cold weather, you dont absolutley need the thermostat the vest should come with an on/off switch. if you are going to splurge for the gear get the jacket liner not the vest. the jacket liner has long sleeeves that have the wiring running thru them so you can plug the gloves into the liner. i have the thermostat wedged into the slot fot the rider backrest, it has worked out well i can simply reach behind and adjust while riding. and mounting this way ensures that i have no wires near any painted surfaces. again you dont absolutley need it but consider this it is verey rare that i have it turned all the way up.
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 04:46:08 PM »

I bought all the Gerbing heated clothes (sox, pants liner.......that look more like over pants, jacket liner......that's also pretty big but I can get it under my jacket, gloves) this summer.  However, I haven't had a chance to use it yet, since my accident.

But, prior to buying I did a lot of research and talking to people.......and it seems that in heated clothing you get what you pay for.  If you want the cheap stuff, buy the cheap stuff and that's what you get.  If you want the quality stuff, spend the money and get something that you're gonna be happy with and only have to buy once.  I guess there's a reason that HD went with Gerbing (which I didn't even know till I just read it above).  Most BMW dealerships carry the Gerbing line, if HD doesn't.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 04:51:55 PM »

I have the HD vest and I plug it directly into the plug for my battery tender so there was no additional wiring required.  Same plug and everything.   [smiley=7.gif] [smiley=7.gif]

Personally, I don't run the thermostat but just cycle the power on and off as the weather dictates.  The vest will definitely get too hot, so the thermo is probably a wise move.   The vest is great at keeping the core body warm and the high collar is very helpful at keeping the cold off your neck.  

TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 08:32:29 PM »

Naitram and TB (welcome to the site! [smiley=beerchug.gif]) what kind of tempretures are you guys riding in when you use the heated clothing?  Here in Calif. (the Sacramento area) it rarely gets down around freezing but I'm turning into a wuss in my old age.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 10:42:43 PM »

Have the gerbing liner I wear under my jacket on a single thermosat control, while the wife has a dual with 1 running the jacket liner and the other running socks and glove liners.  This is great stuff if you ride in the cold.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 09:03:44 AM »

when it gets into the 40's or even low 50's  i start using the liner on a low setting, helps minimize my back problems as it gets into the low 40's and into the 30's i add the heated gloves and start turning up the heat, i dont crank it up to full heat until it gets below freezing, and only if i'm on the highway
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2004, 11:46:41 AM »

Have now made two trips to Daytona with the full compliment of Gerbing gear. Same stuff as JC has. I have the dual, permanent thermostat install and have had these on three bikes now. Let me tell you. If you're in the middle of Texas and it's 42 degrees, overcast, threat of drizzle, and you've got 2000 miles to go, that warmth and the abillity to fine tune how much heat goes where.....well, it's just %$&$%$& criminal.

In these conditions, I wear the stuff under my Roadcrafter suite and I'm warm and waterpfoof.

By the way, I recommend dealing with Gerbing direct. These people are THE BEST!!!! [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2004, 02:23:33 PM »

Have now made two trips to Daytona with the full compliment of Gerbing gear. Same stuff as JC has. I have the dual, permanent thermostat install and have had these on three bikes now. Let me tell you. If you're in the middle of Texas and it's 42 degrees, overcast, threat of drizzle, and you've got 2000 miles to go, that warmth and the abillity to fine tune how much heat goes where.....well, it's just %$&$%$& criminal.

In these conditions, I wear the stuff under my Roadcrafter suite and I'm warm and waterpfoof.

By the way, I recommend dealing with Gerbing direct. These people are THE BEST!!!! [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

PCC thanks for your post.......but I still want to see your dyno sheet! [smiley=laugh.gif]

Hey, the real reason that I'm replying here......where on your bike do you have your plug recepticle?

I bought the nice plug set up at BMW.  I had a machinist friend of mine make a custom made L bracket and drill two holes for the two recepticles (for me and the wife).  The bracket bolts to the frame on the left side, right under the seat.  He had it black powder coated so it looks like it came with the bike.  Very clean set up, all thermostat controlled.  It's been said by somebody else on this site........all my other bikes the money went into speed or looks but on this bike it's going for comfort, especially on the long hauls! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 02:25:04 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2004, 02:48:13 PM »

PCC thanks for your post.......but I still want to see your dyno sheet! [smiley=laugh.gif]

Hey, the real reason that I'm replying here......where on your bike do you have your plug recepticle?

I bought the nice plug set up at BMW.  I had a machinist friend of mine make a custom made L bracket and drill two holes for the two recepticles (for me and the wife).  The bracket bolts to the frame on the left side, right under the seat.  He had it black powder coated so it looks like it came with the bike.  Very clean set up, all thermostat controlled.  It's been said by somebody else on this site........all my other bikes the money went into speed or looks but on this bike it's going for comfort, especially on the long hauls! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

OK JC you know the routine [smiley=worthless.gif]
To everyone
Thanks for all the info I appreciate it
« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 02:49:23 PM by the_ofender »
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2004, 06:55:06 PM »

He got it back to get it powdercoated and I've not got it back from him yet.  But as soon as I do, I'll post a picture on this link.

West Coast GTG   

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2004, 09:31:40 PM »

I have the two thermostats mounted on the right side of the fairing, down low. The plug in cords come out on the left front side of the seat where it meets the tank. I'll try to get some pictures posted. It's pretty utilitarian though. [smiley=beerchug.gif]

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2004, 09:50:13 PM »

Hey JC:

I have a dyno sheet posted, way back when. I've done some mods since then and have rattled out 10 more horse, bu the torque curve is basically the same, (peaks at 121). I can't even find where the sheet is posted now, maybe you can. No sittin still though...this winter will see a 124 in my bike. [smiley=nervous.gif]

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2004, 11:22:03 PM »

Does anyone know what the TOTAL PEAK of our electrical systems are? Just wondering how much heated gear I can put on? Since my bike is to arrive around Feb. and after seeing all the goodies on Gerbings site, I figured I would order 2 of everything. One for me and one for momma. So, lets see, 77 watts for jacket , 44w pants, 22w gloves, 22w sockies = 165watts x 2 (can't forget about momma) = 330watts. Now I'm going to be blasting that awesome 60watt stereo and my headlights, tailights, spoiler lights, and my special order 1 of a kind supersoniclightatomic LED brake/flashing/running light..........  Am I gonna have enough juice left to operate my turn signals? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]       Just asking.......anybody know?              Tanx   JR   [smiley=laugh.gif]

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2004, 11:52:28 PM »

Think I can help you here.......I've already done the research here.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 11:56:03 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 24 queries.