Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Chit Happens! Time to Get Creative!!!  (Read 7225 times)

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Chit Happens! Time to Get Creative!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 12:27:35 PM »

Hoist your tales get better - keep 'em coming

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 12:42:41 PM »

Thanks Tony. Man you've been going thru your own form of hell these days. We missed you in York, but hopefully we'll get to see you next month. I hope you have a speedy full recovery from the ordeal last week, and get to ride that shiny new bike of yours. If you're not up to riding by 5/12, pleas try to meet us for dinner in Front Royal that evening. Feel better Tony! :2vrolijk_21: Hoist! 8)
Thanks, Howie.  Just let me know when and where and we'll be there.  Doubt that we'll be on the bike by then, but we'll see.
Tony

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 02:21:41 PM »

Good story, Hoist!

OK, anytime someone talks about cobbling something up to keep going, I think of my friend Curly.
He was riding his Dyna on the Cherohala Skyway by himself, minding his own business about 7 years ago, when a couple of good 'ol boys in a pick-em-up truck behind him started messin' with him...tailgating, etc, then blasted around him and slammed on their brakes.
Curly went off the road and down. The good 'ol boys laughed their toothless laugh, and left him there. He had some bruises but nothing broken, so he pulled his bike back onto the shoulder of the road. He had a busted clutch lever and broken shift shaft. After a bit, he was able to fashion a clutch lever extension out of a spoon and some cable-ties, but with no shift lever he only had 2nd gear.  A few minutes later another pickup pulled up.

Guy got out and said "Ya havin' troubles, son?"  Curly explained that he was in second gear and  couldn't move the shift shaft. The guy had a welder in his truck and welded a piece of steel onto the stub right there. Curly tried to pay him, but the guy wouldn't take anything.
He was able to ride back to Naples with that welded part. Picked up a new clutch lever on the way, tho.

Sadly, of all the crap that Curly went through in his life, we lost him a few years later to a simple little really low speed drop...the backside of his helmetless melon hit the asphalt. He was 'out of it' for a year and a half before he succumbed.   (RIP Bro. I still miss ya.)

Jerry
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 02:45:15 PM »

, do what it takes to get it done, and get back on the road!

Hoist! 8)

Hoist?!?!?!? We need to talk man...That was a perfect opportunity for saying "git er done". I'm just trying to get you ready for the south bro.

I rode with a group this weekend I've never ridden with before. I had ridden with one guy, and he'd called asking me to ride along with his group to a crawfish boil. Count me in. We meet at one guy's deer camp/party shack. We metat 10:00 AM Saturday. Slowly over an hour or so, one bike after another rides in. The last one to show up was a guy they nicknamed "Do Drop". Do Drop was about 60 years old with a long ponytail. He was riding a really sharp springer. I had to ask Do Drop, how'd you get the nickname? He got a sheepish look on his face and said, Because I Do Drop my bike a lot. Sure enough, when we left, Do Drop did drop his bike.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2007, 05:13:07 PM »

I'm sorry to hear about Curly. I was hoping that story had a happy ending, instead of an Easy Rider ending! I was hoping you'd say they found thos assholes in the pickup and beat them like a red headed stepchild so they'd never think of Fing with another biker! Too bad, they're probably still at it. That chit really makes me mad! >:(

Hey HB, I saw the opportunity, but somehow those words don't come out yet! ;D

Here's the pics of my custom crankcase breather.

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2007, 05:14:01 PM »

Close up.

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2007, 05:15:08 PM »

Last one with the new "breather hose" running along the clutch cable, up to the handlebars.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2007, 05:20:05 PM »

Howie,
Great story and super improvising to get the old girl back on the road and running. ;)  Glad you made it home okay bro... Was great seeing you in York and looking forward to hooking up with you in May. 
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2007, 04:48:05 PM »

Uh Oh!!! Bad news. Just as I thought, the timing plug blew out of the cases thru the threads, and took threads with it. This is a very bad thing. The hole must be re-tapped for a new plug. The inner primary on the early Evo's have a raised boss in front of the timing hole. Hopefully, there's enough meat on the IP to clearance it enough to get a tap straight in the hole. Otherwise, the entire Primary must come apart to get that straight shot at the hole.

That's only part of the problem. After that's done, the tap is set up for re-tapping the hole with flywheels removed. So we're gonna try to do a little at a time, and cut the tap shorter and shorter as we go deeper. Systematically trying to get threads in the hole. If this doesn't work, the motor's got to come out. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm starting a new thread in the Evo Section, but I'll ask here now. What is the largest Evo engine that can be installed in a stock '85 HD 4-speed Evo Frame? I really don't expect you guys to know this, but there might be a few out there who would. BTW, where's djkak when you need him? Hey dj, I bet you know this.

I'll let you guys know how it goes. See, it ain't just 110's that break. Everything breaks at some
point in time!

Hoist! 8)

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2007, 04:54:42 PM »

The Joy's of owning a Harley  ;D Great job of Roadside engineering  :2vrolijk_21: And you were still able to make it home safe. See you in a couple of weeks  :orange:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2007, 05:00:03 PM »

Uh Oh!!! Bad news. Just as I thought, the timing plug blew out of the cases thru the threads, and took threads with it. This is a very bad thing. The hole must be re-tapped for a new plug. The inner primary on the early Evo's have a raised boss in front of the timing hole. Hopefully, there's enough meat on the IP to clearance it enough to get a tap straight in the hole. Otherwise, the entire Primary must come apart to get that straight shot at the hole.

That's only part of the problem. After that's done, the tap is set up for re-tapping the hole with flywheels removed. So we're gonna try to do a little at a time, and cut the tap shorter and shorter as we go deeper. Systematically trying to get threads in the hole. If this doesn't work, the motor's got to come out. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm starting a new thread in the Evo Section, but I'll ask here now. What is the largest Evo engine that can be installed in a stock '85 HD 4-speed Evo Frame? I really don't expect you guys to know this, but there might be a few out there who would. BTW, where's djkak when you need him? Hey dj, I bet you know this.

I'll let you guys know how it goes. See, it ain't just 110's that break. Everything breaks at some
point in time!

Hoist! 8)

One other bit of alternative engineering you might consider.  If the alternative is the engine coming out anyway, and these cases are already damaged, and you're not concerned about saving these cases, and all you want to do is ride it for awhile until some other engine goes in anyway....

Then just weld it up.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2007, 05:08:07 PM »

One other bit of alternative engineering you might consider.  If the alternative is the engine coming out anyway, and these cases are already damaged, and you're not concerned about saving these cases, and all you want to do is ride it for awhile until some other engine goes in anyway....

Then just weld it up.

Thanks Wayne, it was a matter of time before that 4-speed needed something major. But it never left me stranded. Looking forward to seeing you guys again in 2 weeks!

I thought about that Don. My other option right now is to use the 89" motor from my Pro Street, which isn't VIN'd yet anyway. I'll worry about the Pro Street later. That bike would be better with a bigger motor anyway, since that's a 425 lb hot rod. It's being worked on right now, so keep your fingers crossed! Hoist!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 05:09:45 PM by Hoist »

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2007, 05:35:22 PM »

HOWIE THOSE OLD EVO'S NEVER DIE THEY JUST NEED SOME GOOD NY ENGINEERING. GLAD YOU MADE IT HOME. BETTER LATE THAN NOT AT ALL. :2vrolijk_21:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2007, 06:45:39 PM »

HOWIE THOSE OLD EVO'S NEVER DIE THEY JUST NEED SOME GOOD NY ENGINEERING. GLAD YOU MADE IT HOME. BETTER LATE THAN NOT AT ALL. :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks Dave, I'm not out of the woods yet. I'm waiting to hear if the hole was able to be tapped with the flywheels still in the cases. We clearanced the inner primary to get the straight shot we need for a tap. Now we have to see if we can get it tapped. If not, I'm throwing my 89" Evo from my Pro Street in it. Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2007, 08:45:08 PM »

Well gang, sometimes we get good news too! After 5 hours of painstaking work to get the timing hole threaded, with primary fully assembled and the engine completely together, my buddy tapped a new hole in my case! Painstaking because he had to run the tap in until it hit the flywheel, take it out, cut the tap down, and continue tapping. He did this a few times until he got all the way thru the case!!! The cases are 23 years old and a little fatigued. To be safe, he added some JB Weld to the oversized Acorn Plug that Ted's VTwin makes for this repair. I don't know anyone that actually uses that hole and a timing light to time these motors anyway. So, no big deal not having a timing hole anymore! $50 for the Teds Repair kit, including the Tap, and $120 Labor. My buddy Vern is the best!!! He's been doing all of our motors for years and has his chit together. From Flatheads to TC's, he builds them all. Probably one of the best Shovelhead guys in the country. Well Vern bailed me out of another hole (no pun intended ;D ). If your in the NY area, North Shore Motorcycles in New Hyde Park is where you want to bring your bike! Thanks a lot Vern!!!!!

Hoist! 8)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 25 queries.