Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tach, Turn Signals & Horn not working?  (Read 8214 times)

SE_DYNA

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Tach, Turn Signals & Horn not working?
« on: May 06, 2007, 09:27:44 AM »

The last couple of days that I have ridden the SE Dyna sometimes the tach, turn signals and horn don't work.  I went for a ride and everything was just fine...stop for gas and when I fired up no tach, turn signals or horn.....I ride a little bit more...stop.....fire back up everything is working.

Any ideas where to start?
'07 Screamin' Eagle Dyna - Silver/Black

hogasm

Re: Tach, Turn Signals & Horn not working?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 06:25:51 PM »

I am having the same thing on a 2004 SEEG. Started last week and this weekend everything quit. I have no power anywhere. 200 miles away from home when all went down. When I find anything I will post.

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 07:51:01 PM »

Maybe this has something to do with the MOCO and Y2K.

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member
  • SCREAMIN EAGLE!! Top of the Food chain!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 01:04:04 AM »

All,

I don't know if this is even related, but a friend of mine has an 03 Road King and after he put a T-Max autotune in it he started having similar electrical problems.

Mark
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
SE A/C, SERT, Samson Caliber True Duels
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR (SOLD)
2008 VW R32 #3719/5000 United Grey
2008 VW GTI

hogasm

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 04:07:07 PM »

Found a broken positive battery cable causing my problems.

Changed cable started right up. Still have a small issue with the left turn signals.
When you have the motor running and turn on the left turn signals the red key light on the tach will illuminate and the turn signals will stop working. If the red key light goes off the turn signals will start working without touching the button again.

Going to remove the bulbs and clean the light sockets and replace all the bulbs to see if this helps any.

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2 nebula yellow/ cobalt blue
    • CVO2: FLTRSE3 yellow pearl / charcoal slate
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 06:19:19 PM »

I had a similar problem after i have installed a headlight nacelle to my fatboy.After searching for many times we figured that the headlight connection had a problem and caused failure.We have just changed the jack and its fixed now.Do check that and another time something similar happened after rear signal relocation and we figured that the cable going under the rear fender got sliced some how and fixed that too.Probably a very minor thing is causing it.Look where you did some alterations like a headlight or turn signal relocation. :drink:
Ridin Legend

golaith69

• 06 FLHTCUSE - BLACK CANDY CRIMSON
  • Full CVO Member
  • PLEASE STAND UP WHEN YOU ARE TALKING 2 ME
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 10:29:57 PM »

hello;   all ,  try  the  acc.  fuse ,  you  should  have  to  replace  it   ,  it  could  be on  its  way  out..  mine  went  out  after it  was  4 months  old .  and  acted the  sameway ..  good luck  jeff
up grades - true duals , vance & hines slash cuts , power commander , KN super sucker -w/ chrome base , smart siren II w/ pager ,chrome inner primary ,engine lites ,L.E.D tail lites ,chrome windshield molding ,oil temp guage into fairing, speaker trim rings ,radio trim piece , etc.

hogasm

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 10:39:06 PM »

Replaced the TSSM today and that did not correct the problem. Will chance our the turn signals tomorrow.

Also will check all the ground wires under the fairing,

It is still a mystery :nixweiss:

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 10:46:08 PM »

Brian,
       Have you worked on your wiring at all lately ?  One thing Beagle and I have noticed is the factory crimps on the pins are not always real good. When you pull them out of the connector blocks a lot of times it really loosens them up. We've taken to recrimping any wire we pull out of a connector just to be sure. Have had some weird chit happen when the wires weren't tight in the pins. 

B B

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 10:51:45 PM »

Replaced the TSSM today and that did not correct the problem. Will chance our the turn signals tomorrow.

Also will check all the ground wires under the fairing,

It is still a mystery :nixweiss:

Brian, our front turn signals are real bad about corroding behind the bulb.  Water comes down the stalk where the wires go in and pools up behind the bulb in the ass end of the socket.  The contacts and little springs back there will break.  If they do it's at best the same effect as a burned out bulb.  At worst it's a little short. 

If nothing else that's easy to check makes any difference then yank the fairing and unplug the connector that feeds the turn signals.  Six wire plug to the left of the radio with purple, blue and black wires.  If taking the front signal housings out of the loops solves or changes what you're seeing you've probably stumbled on to the problem.

hogasm

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 06:46:58 AM »

Brian, our front turn signals are real bad about corroding behind the bulb.  Water comes down the stalk where the wires go in and pools up behind the bulb in the ass end of the socket.  The contacts and little springs back there will break.  If they do it's at best the same effect as a burned out bulb.  At worst it's a little short. 

If nothing else that's easy to check makes any difference then yank the fairing and unplug the connector that feeds the turn signals.  Six wire plug to the left of the radio with purple, blue and black wires.  If taking the front signal housings out of the loops solves or changes what you're seeing you've probably stumbled on to the problem.

Don I took the front turn signals apart yesterday. A few teaspoons of water came out from behind the bulb. Cleaned all terminals, used dialectric grease to re-install and all works except when the motor RPM's increase.

Found at the 6 pin connector it had come loose frpm the cross member that goes to the speaker. It is held in place by a little pin. The connector was rubbing on the bracket and the blue and black wire going to the left turn signal were touching the bracket and had worn the insulation off the wires. Each time the motor RPM's were increased the wires would rub on the bracket causing the problem.

Fixed them and now today head for MB and will see if that takes care of everything.

Oh yea we took every connection apart under the fairing, cleaned them with electronic cleaner, blew off with compressed air an re-installed using dialectric grease :2vrolijk_21:  time consuming but hopefully worth it.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 11:35:15 AM »

Don I took the front turn signals apart yesterday. A few teaspoons of water came out from behind the bulb. Cleaned all terminals, used dialectric grease to re-install and all works except when the motor RPM's increase.

Found at the 6 pin connector it had come loose frpm the cross member that goes to the speaker. It is held in place by a little pin. The connector was rubbing on the bracket and the blue and black wire going to the left turn signal were touching the bracket and had worn the insulation off the wires. Each time the motor RPM's were increased the wires would rub on the bracket causing the problem.

Fixed them and now today head for MB and will see if that takes care of everything.

Oh yea we took every connection apart under the fairing, cleaned them with electronic cleaner, blew off with compressed air an re-installed using dialectric grease :2vrolijk_21:  time consuming but hopefully worth it.

You guys have fun in MB.  Hope all the glitches are behind you know.  Enjoy the long weekend  :2vrolijk_21: .

Big Al

• If not now, when?
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2002 FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO3: 2024 RA1250SE
    • T. Allan Hamilton
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 08:10:38 PM »

The last couple of days that I have ridden the SE Dyna sometimes the tach, turn signals and horn don't work.  I went for a ride and everything was just fine...stop for gas and when I fired up no tach, turn signals or horn.....I ride a little bit more...stop.....fire back up everything is working.

Any ideas where to start?

Every second time?  :carrot: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pineapple: :pepper: :orange: :huepfenjump3: :mango: :bananarock: :apple: :huepfenlol2:    :nervous:

Sorry...
Big Al
1999 FLHTCU/I w. Hack (Kaz' ride)- Sold
2006 FLHTCUSE- Hit a deer- Written off
2013 Tri-glide- Sold
2012 BMW K1600GTL- Commuter
2016 FLTRU Road Glide Ultra Limited- Sold
2024 RA1250-SE- CVO Pan America

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 24 queries.