Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chrome Front Fork Air Baffle & Heat Issues  (Read 3336 times)

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
Chrome Front Fork Air Baffle & Heat Issues
« on: June 10, 2007, 09:34:27 AM »

In keeping with the brotherhood of OCD....I installed the Chrome fornt fork air baffle PN # 58520-79TC on Pg. 471 of Cat. on my "06 SEUC I had a couple of "old timers tell me that I  should remove it during the summer because the engine  won't get enough air to keep it cool. It looked like to me with the design that at speed it directs air down toward the heads and the jugs and would keep it cooler. It looks like less air would hit the rocker boxes. Comments Feedback, Leave it on  or take it off in the summer? Thanks Greg   
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
Re: Chrome Front Fork Air Baffle & Heat Issues
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 09:41:43 AM »

I installed the same air baffle...the result was reduced wind noise in the ears...don't know why, but that was the result, so I liked it.  I, like you, was told the same thing about engine heat, so I tested it.  I replaced the oil dipstick with one that has the digital temp gauge...rode it one hour in 90 degree florida heat...oil temp was 220 degrees.  Came home, removed the baffle, rode one hour, oil temp 220 degrees, reinstalled it, rode one hour...oil temp 220 degrees.  So....I kept it!  Had it on for about a year now, and since January of this year I've been running a Zippers 117" high compression motor...no problems.  I like it when I installe it, and I still do.  That's my report :)
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 09:52:30 AM »

I installed the same air baffle...the result was reduced wind noise in the ears...don't know why, but that was the result, so I liked it.  I, like you, was told the same thing about engine heat, so I tested it.  I replaced the oil dipstick with one that has the digital temp gauge...rode it one hour in 90 degree florida heat...oil temp was 220 degrees.  Came home, removed the baffle, rode one hour, oil temp 220 degrees, reinstalled it, rode one hour...oil temp 220 degrees.  So....I kept it!  Had it on for about a year now, and since January of this year I've been running a Zippers 117" high compression motor...no problems.  I like it when I installe it, and I still do.  That's my report :)

Thanks>> I was kinda thinking the same thing>>>>> Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 11:06:02 AM »

I had one on my '01 Ultra and still have it on my '05 SEEG. I'm like you, looks like it deflects the air toward the motor. Don't see how it could do bad things and plan on keeping it.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 03:40:18 PM »

I have one on mines, and have not noticed any difference in oil temperature. It's chrome it's got to be good for the bike. ;) ;D Like others have said by design it would appear that it directs the air that would be blowing up in your face down on the motor.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 04:08:24 PM »

They were standard equiptment until I bought an 01 Ultra years back then they were gone, Dealer had some lame note from the MoCo about this being to allow more cooling air to get to the Rider,I noticed right away that a blast of air was raising havoc with my face shield from below. They were available as an option however, Lucky I had a couple in reserve, still using them with excellent results.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 09:56:08 PM »

I was told (at the dealership) that the MoCo quit putting them on the Ultra Classics because they were directing the air down......thereby creating more heat to build on the rear cylinder.  Is it true..........couldn't say. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 10:07:08 PM »

I keep my baffle on all year.  When the TC88's came out they produced more heat and the baffle was eliminated I was told, but who knows for sure.  Easy way for the MOCO to have another chrome accessory though.   :nixweiss:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 10:57:32 PM »

I've had them on 6 FL's since '95 including the SERK now. I leave it on all the time. I think they work great. My oil temp hasn't changed since I put it on and is similar temps to other SERK's, so I think these things are the least of your problems with temps on these engines! ::) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 08:45:48 AM »

As mentioned in dartman's post, I think the "cooling" that was affected by the baffle was the cooling of the rider, not the engine.  I've noticed absolutely no issue with engine cooling since installing the baffle last year, but I did notice less buffeting of my helmet at high speeds.  Plus, it made a handy place to relocate my air temp gauge sending unit.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 12:03:41 PM »

Another benefit on the EGlides is less buffeting from turbulence in the air flow coming up the inside of the fairing.  That will never completely go away.  But this little part does help improve it.

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 04:37:43 PM »

Put one on the SEUC last night.  Rode about 200 miles today.  First thing I noticed - much less buffeting of the helmet than without.  It would also appear that it may be helping the temp issue a bit.  At the end of the ride today (92 degrees ambient), LED oil stick red 241.  Friday, road home in typical Wash, DC summer traffic, ambient temperature low 80s, stop & go, about 6 miles unobstructed before I got to the house - temp was 260 with ambient at 78.  Maybe just different traffic, speed, etc. :nixweiss:.  Will see how it goes tomorrow in mid-90 weather...
I give it a big  :2vrolijk_21:, just for the decreased buffeting of the ol' noggin.
TC

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 04:44:58 PM »

Put one on the SEUC last night.  Rode about 200 miles today.  First thing I noticed - much less buffeting of the helmet than without.  It would also appear that it may be helping the temp issue a bit.  At the end of the ride today (92 degrees ambient), LED oil stick red 241.  Friday, road home in typical Wash, DC summer traffic, ambient temperature low 80s, stop & go, about 6 miles unobstructed before I got to the house - temp was 260 with ambient at 78.  Maybe just different traffic, speed, etc. :nixweiss:.  Will see how it goes tomorrow in mid-90 weather...
I give it a big  :2vrolijk_21:, just for the decreased buffeting of the ol' noggin.
TC
One of the first things I noticed when I got my '06 a couple years ago since my '99 came stock with it - not chrome, of course.  Amazing how much that thing does help cut down buffeting.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 07:15:43 PM »

As mentioned in dartman's post, I think the "cooling" that was affected by the baffle was the cooling of the rider, not the engine.  I've noticed absolutely no issue with engine cooling since installing the baffle last year, but I did notice less buffeting of my helmet at high speeds.  Plus, it made a handy place to relocate my air temp gauge sending unit.Jerry
hey Jerry, where did the sending unit go?  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 24 queries.