Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Brother went down on his Fatboy  (Read 7171 times)

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
Brother went down on his Fatboy
« on: June 11, 2007, 10:57:48 PM »

:'(  This might be a little wordy but I need to vent.  I was on the phone with my twin brother, Jerry at 4:30 this afternoon when he told me there was a large commotion on the road near his house.  he could hear lots of sirens and thought he heard a helicopter and guessed that there might have been a serious accident and someone was being airlifted.  I told him to call our father since he has a scanner and would have more detail.  Dad lives about 3 miles away from the scene.  While he was on the phone with our Dad finding out that a scoot had been involved in an accident with a car and that the operator was being airlifted to a trauma center 50 miles away our niece called him to say that they had just received word that our other brother was involved in a motorcycle accident on his way home from work.  Guess which way he takes home from work?  It didn't take a genious to figure it out.  He called me back to say that the commotion in front of his place was the result of our brother Dan being involved in an accident with his beloved 100 anniversary FatBoy.   I was riding with him Saturday.

Let me take you back a little bit.....  My brother Bill nearly lost his leg in a bike accident in 1986.  He spent over a month in the hospital and they managed to keep it.  I sold my Goldwing to my Brother Rick in April 1989 and he totaled it in October of the same year when a truck turned left in his path (compound fracture, left wrist, other minor injuries).  A couple years later he bought a replacement Goldwing that he totaled several years later with his wife on the back when an idiot ran a stop sign and he hit them broadside.  Now Dan is critically injured and all I can think about is, "I need to get rid of my brand new red Jester with 2,100 miles on it to end all this madness".  That's all I could think about.  I needed to end the risks.

Well, I got a call from my nephew a short time later and found out that he will be OK but his leg is in bad shape.  It's broken in 4 places below the knee.  He was having surgury tonight to repair it with a rod.  For all I know, he may still be in surgury.  At this, I did what I think most of you would have done.  I hopped on the Jester for a relaxing ride (25-30 miles) to think straight and figure out what I wanted to do.  Know what I came up with?  You can't run and hide from life.  I enjoy my SEUC2 WAY too much to let someone else take it from my life right now.  Not one of us knows how this ride on the 3rd rock will end.  So you plan for the worst and hope for the best.  I might feel different tommorow morning when I see my beloved brother in the hospital but for now I'm keeping the Jester and I can't wait to tell him.

Jim
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Brother went down on his Fatboy
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 11:01:25 PM »

Sorry to hear of your brothers accident. :( He and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. I wish him a speedy recovery and hope he's back in the wind soon.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 11:37:58 PM »

Our thoughts are with your brother.....  may he recover quickly .....
as for your thoughts..i hope some day if i am challenged by a similar question, i come to the same conclusion as you ...

ride safe my brother...  i applaud your outlook on life

Scot

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 12:24:07 AM »

Damn sorry to hear about your brother, but hope his recovery is quick and he can once again get back out riding in the breeze. Every time we get out on the road, we take the risk that it may just be us on the emergency scanner. But life it too short to sit around and watch it go by.

Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 12:34:19 AM »

You should keep right on riding.  And thank your brother dearly for the opportunity to do so safely.  Statistics are real.  And he has completely pre-disastered not just this generation but several generations of your riding kin.  Give that man a hug, buy him a beer, and ask him when he wants to go again.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 02:01:50 AM »

Sorry to hear of your Bro's misfortune :-\ Godspeed to him on a quick recover

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 05:36:28 AM »

Like the rest we hope for only the best for your brother. Terrible thing what the fools can do to us. Glad your therapy helped and I think your thinking is sound. Life is short, enjoy it the best you can.

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 11:29:52 AM »

Sorry to hear the news, Jim. Thoughts and prayers out to your brother.

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 11:58:04 AM »

Sorry to hear about your brother.  I know the feeling, I came a cropper the other day when a guy couldn't wait for the lights to turn green.
My prayers are with your family.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 12:02:05 PM »

My thoughts are with your brother and your family.  Let's hope for a speedy, complete recovery!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

theslash

• Full CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHXSE
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 12:10:28 PM »

keep us posted
gods speed
SLASH

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 01:36:06 PM »

Jgeorge,

I wish your brother a speedy recovery.   

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 02:44:13 PM »

:'(  This might be a little wordy but I need to vent.  I was on the phone with my twin brother, Jerry at 4:30 this afternoon when he told me there was a large commotion on the road near his house.  he could hear lots of sirens and thought he heard a helicopter and guessed that there might have been a serious accident and someone was being airlifted.  I told him to call our father since he has a scanner and would have more detail.  Dad lives about 3 miles away from the scene.  While he was on the phone with our Dad finding out that a scoot had been involved in an accident with a car and that the operator was being airlifted to a trauma center 50 miles away our niece called him to say that they had just received word that our other brother was involved in a motorcycle accident on his way home from work.  Guess which way he takes home from work?  It didn't take a genious to figure it out.  He called me back to say that the commotion in front of his place was the result of our brother Dan being involved in an accident with his beloved 100 anniversary FatBoy.   I was riding with him Saturday.

Let me take you back a little bit.....  My brother Bill nearly lost his leg in a bike accident in 1986.  He spent over a month in the hospital and they managed to keep it.  I sold my Goldwing to my Brother Rick in April 1989 and he totaled it in October of the same year when a truck turned left in his path (compound fracture, left wrist, other minor injuries).  A couple years later he bought a replacement Goldwing that he totaled several years later with his wife on the back when an idiot ran a stop sign and he hit them broadside.  Now Dan is critically injured and all I can think about is, "I need to get rid of my brand new red Jester with 2,100 miles on it to end all this madness".  That's all I could think about.  I needed to end the risks.

Well, I got a call from my nephew a short time later and found out that he will be OK but his leg is in bad shape.  It's broken in 4 places below the knee.  He was having surgury tonight to repair it with a rod.  For all I know, he may still be in surgury.  At this, I did what I think most of you would have done.  I hopped on the Jester for a relaxing ride (25-30 miles) to think straight and figure out what I wanted to do.  Know what I came up with?  You can't run and hide from life.  I enjoy my SEUC2 WAY too much to let someone else take it from my life right now.  Not one of us knows how this ride on the 3rd rock will end.  So you plan for the worst and hope for the best.  I might feel different tommorow morning when I see my beloved brother in the hospital but for now I'm keeping the Jester and I can't wait to tell him.

Jim

Sorry to hear of your brothers accident.  Best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery.  Regarding your thoughts - everyone has to chose how to lead their life.  Personally, when making a difficult decision - I know I have decided what is right for me when I feel an inner peace deep within me.  I hope you find this place.

Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 03:06:08 PM »

Very sorry to hear about your brother and wish him a speedy and full recovery. 

Terry
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 03:15:23 PM »

Like the rest we hope for only the best for your brother. Terrible thing what the fools can do to us. Glad your therapy helped and I think your thinking is sound. Life is short, enjoy it the best you can.
Ditto.  Screamin said it better than I could have. 
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 24 queries.