Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: Crank runout  (Read 13787 times)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Crank runout
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2007, 04:55:45 PM »

There's a formula for injector size, The TB is almost definitely to small if you add any real cams to a 110. As for injectors, if you run a data logger, and you duty cycle is over 75%-80%, then either you fuel pressure is to low, or you need bigger injectors, I was told the stock injectors with adequate fuel pressure will handle most motors that run on the street. 

Here it is, Can't remember where I got this, I also have a different one for cars, this example is a bike with a calculated hp of 120.

The formula for calculating injector size; HP x BSFC (brake specific fuel consumption, typically .50) / 2 (number of injectors) x .8 (duty cycle).

Your motor would calc. to 120 x .5 = 60 / 2 x .8 = 37.5 lbs/hr or 4.72gm/sec. This would suggest the larger injectors but experience has shown the stock to be fine for this hp level, larger injectors typically are required for applications exceeding 130 hp.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2007, 05:22:08 PM »

There's a formula for injector size, The TB is almost definitely to small if you add any real cams to a 110. As for injectors, if you run a data logger, and you duty cycle is over 75%-80%, then either you fuel pressure is to low, or you need bigger injectors, I was told the stock injectors with adequate fuel pressure will handle most motors that run on the street. 

Here it is, Can't remember where I got this, I also have a different one for cars, this example is a bike with a calculated hp of 120.

The formula for calculating injector size; HP x BSFC (brake specific fuel consumption, typically .50) / 2 (number of injectors) x .8 (duty cycle).

Your motor would calc. to 120 x .5 = 60 / 2 x .8 = 37.5 lbs/hr or 4.72gm/sec. This would suggest the larger injectors but experience has shown the stock to be fine for this hp level, larger injectors typically are required for applications exceeding 130 hp.

Use the HD 4.89 injectors for the 110 with 251 cams. They come with the SE 50mm TB. If you use the 51mm HPI TB, you'll have to buy the 4.89 injectors. I don't have the HD P/N for them. Sorry. Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2007, 05:33:23 PM »

experience has shown the stock to be fine for this hp level, larger injectors typically are required for applications exceeding 130 hp.

I've read the same words on the Latus website.
I wish not ( ??? ) to exceed 130 hp.
It means that my stock TB is fine.
I need only cams for more tq between 2000/3500 rpm.

Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2007, 05:36:24 PM »

Might be where I got it, I like Mikes site, he has a lot of good info there!!! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2007, 09:10:46 PM »

BTW, I believe the P/N for the 4.89 injectors is 27654-06. Like I said, these come with the HD 50 mm TB. But as Rhino said, there might be issues with that TB. You can use the HPI 51 mm TB, which also replaces the intake manifold, but you'll need to buy the 4.89 injectors for it.

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 11:28:06 PM by Hoist »

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2007, 09:30:10 PM »

Easy way to get the part number to the injectors is call up the dealer and ask them to do a kit break down on the 50mm throttlebody.   When they do the kit break down it will show a sku for the injectors as an individual line item.     
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2007, 11:45:34 PM »

Just bite the bullet and do the cams. There's no charge to check runout as part of that job. If the runout's bad, don't do the cams, get a new engine, and don't pay for anything! If nothing's wrong, at least you got some new cams installed, instead of getting nothing in return but peace of mind! ;) Hoist! 8)

Yep, my dealer found my runout problem (.020) when they attempted to remove the oil pump as part of a cam upgrade. MOCO handbuilt me a new motor and had it delivered to my dealer in three days. Dealer took approx four days to finish the job and the bike has been running fine since. New motor has around 1500 miles on it without any strange vibrations or other concerns.

evilroadking

« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2007, 11:50:17 PM »

Dealer told me today that crank run out caused oil gush leak from the crank position sensor on my 07 FLHTCUSE3.
Service manager called Harley and asked 'what do we do'? Harley told them to crate it up, they are sending a new complete motor. Service manager has heard this same story (crank problems) from several other dealers and Harley is advising them to crate up motors for new replacments. Service manage question Hareley if he could split case to inspect. They told him NO, in bold words. Service manager even questions problems and said he would be willing to bet i never have an issue with the new motor.   emmm I wonder why. Harely know somthing about the 110 inch cranks, or bearings and they keeping it one on one with the problamantic engines.  

There is a little more to this issue, but keeping a hush hush until my new motor is set, will tell you all about that soon.

Oh,, HD advised dealer to provide loaner if customer makes request. I was offered but turned it down, but it did tell em i would like to drive one of the 08's for a week. They laughed and said get my check book out.

More to report latter

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2007, 12:03:55 AM »

I found it interesting that the dealer REFUSED to release my bike to me after the runout problem was found because I wanted it repaired at my local dealer. According to the service manager he said the MOCO advised him to NOT release my bike under any circumstances until the old motor was pulled out. I found this very suspicious and called the MOCO. As soon as I gave them my vin # they told me my new motor was being built by hand and stamped and would be sent out in a few days. I asked why I could not have MY bike back and she basically told me the problem with the motor could cause "Catastrophic Failure" and could lead to serious injury or death !! Basically, the MOCO ILLEGALLY ordered the dealer to hold my bike hostage so they could not be held liable if I continued to run the bike in it's current condition and sustained any kind of injury (or death). What a bunch of crap !!!

But I still love my bike  :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2007, 11:38:19 PM »

Sorry co and erk. Hope you guys get hooked up quickly. I guess besides the cheapo bottom end design, its also in how well they're first assembled. By whom, and with what care. Mine was measured today and it's 0.0025"!!! I'll take that with these motors. So no new engine required, and on to the other issues and mods. Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2007, 01:52:57 PM »

Just got back from the dealer. They left the cam chest set uo with the dial indicator for me to see the runout for myself and take some pics. The pics aren't that great due to the location of the dial indicator. But you'll get to see how runout is checked. My runout measured 0.0025. Other things were bad and I'll go into that in the thread I started, documenting the new top end work.

Hoist!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2007, 01:53:48 PM »

A little better angle

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2007, 01:54:37 PM »

Further back, showing the dial indicator setup.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2007, 01:55:33 PM »

Last one. My bike torn down to the cases.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2007, 02:08:42 PM »

This Hoist motor drama has Jerry Springer beat anyday.
Better than, "As the World Turns" and "Days of Our Lives"
Maury could have an entire series on, "The Hoist Files"
Just waiting for the large chested women with the big mouths to start accusing the motor company of screwing everyone.
Could we get a DNA test to determine if it's really a Harley.
Can we get a polygraph test to determine if Hoist bought this bike from a Harley shop or a crack dealer in Chinatown
Stay tuned for more after the commercial break.

Now where's that damn remote so I can change the channel :nixweiss:.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 02:20:18 PM by Silver-Black »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 25 queries.