Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Engine Light ON & High Idle RPM  (Read 22636 times)

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
Engine Light ON & High Idle RPM
« on: August 14, 2007, 02:13:59 PM »

OK, heres a new one...after limping my wife's bike to the HD Dealership (gas line came off)....on the way home my check engine light came on...stopped, checked every thing I could, rode home.  Light went out and then came back on.  I had a 5,000 service done today....when I started the bike this morning it seemed to be idling fast....Rode 50 miles to HD Dealer told them about the lite and fast idle, after checking everything out their answer was bad fuel or an over filled oil situation.  I picked up the bike got on the interstate, engine check lite came on...when I got off the interstate at the first red light I noticed the engine is idling at 2,000 RPM, engine check lite still on...HMMMMMM.

Called dealer where I bought bike at and the service tech walked me through a diagnostic procedure.  You push in the odometer reset button and then turn on the ignition, bike will then display a diagnostic display on the odometer.  Release the button and press it again and you will get several letters.  The P stands for Power Train.  When that letter flashes you push the button again and a fault code will be displayed.  Of course with my recent luck, the tech could not identify the code....

SOOOO tomorrow morning I get to visit another HD Dealer to try and get the sled fixed before I head out on a 1,000 mile ride Thursday.....Oh by the way, the bike is an '07 SEUC.

Anyone had this problem???????

napalm
napalm

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
Re: Engine Light ON & High Idle RPM
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 02:27:11 PM »

not that it is a good comparison, but on my 2006, the MAP sensor was blamed on my High Idle (2000rpm) problem in North Dakota last month...I also had the Engine Air temp sensor go bad at the same time...then the Throttle Position Sensor....a few hundred miles later.
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 03:15:49 PM »

napalm,

What code did you come up with when you ran the diagnostic?  P-what?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 03:21:32 PM »

The code was no r5p, the dealer did not know the code.  I am taking the bike up to the dealer tomorrow morning.  Will post the results!!

May have to take my wife's  :nixweiss: Honda Rebel 250  :nixweiss: on the 911 Ride this Thursday, at least it runs without any probelms!!!!

napalm
napalm

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 03:54:53 PM »

The code was no r5p, the dealer did not know the code.  I am taking the bike up to the dealer tomorrow morning.  Will post the results!!

May have to take my wife's  :nixweiss: Honda Rebel 250  :nixweiss: on the 911 Ride this Thursday, at least it runs without any probelms!!!!

napalm

I think they lead you into the wrong diagnostic, the powertrain codes should be P1234 in format.  I've never seen a code like r5p.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 04:21:22 PM »

not that it is a good comparison, but on my 2006, the MAP sensor was blamed on my High Idle (2000rpm) problem in North Dakota last month...I also had the Engine Air temp sensor go bad at the same time...then the Throttle Position Sensor....a few hundred miles later.

Bill, you think you really had that many sensors coincidentally fail in such quick succession?  Or were the shops just guessing and finally got it right on the third try?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 04:53:17 PM »

Bill, you think you really had that many sensors coincidentally fail in such quick succession?  Or were the shops just guessing and finally got it right on the third try?

That's why I carry a spare of every FI sensor. And a spare, pre-programmed PC too! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 05:34:38 PM »

Billings found a leak at the intake (I believe caused by the hard bump in South Bend).  I did not recognize the Lean condition and believe this was the real cause.
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 05:06:02 PM »

Funny how one dealer can fix something and another cannot.  I had a 5,000 check on Tuesday, complained that my check engine light was on and the idle RPMs were high, they checked things out and told me I either had bad fuel or too much oil prior to the service.  When I got the bike back after the 5,000 service my check engine light was still on and when I got off the highway my idle speed was 2,000 RPMs.  Great job by the lousy dealer!!!

I called my selling dealer, a 100 miles away and they told me to bring in right in.  I showed up this morning at 8:15 AM.  They took my bike right in and discovered that the butterfly flapper Valve in the air intake was not closing all the way, it was staying open about an eight of an inch, causing the computer to sense the requirement to add more fuel.  On the ride up after I got off the interstate my idle speed had increased to 3,000 - 3,500 RPM.  At a red light a state trooper pulled up next to me and my pipes were singing at those high RPMs, got a dirty look!!!

Long story short, dealer did not have the parts in stock, they new I was leaving on a trip tomorrow.  They pulled an '08 Ultra off the floor and took the required parts off the bike to get me on the road.  That's what I call World Class Service.  Thanks to all at La Valle HD in Maryland.

napalm

PS - The dealer that did my 5,000 mile service and gave me back the bike with the check engine light still on has lost my business for EVER!!!!!!
napalm

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 06:55:55 PM »

Funny how one dealer can fix something and another cannot.  I had a 5,000 check on Tuesday, complained that my check engine light was on and the idle RPMs were high, they checked things out and told me I either had bad fuel or too much oil prior to the service.  When I got the bike back after the 5,000 service my check engine light was still on and when I got off the highway my idle speed was 2,000 RPMs.  Great job by the lousy dealer!!!

I called my selling dealer, a 100 miles away and they told me to bring in right in.  I showed up this morning at 8:15 AM.  They took my bike right in and discovered that the butterfly flapper Valve in the air intake was not closing all the way, it was staying open about an eight of an inch, causing the computer to sense the requirement to add more fuel.  On the ride up after I got off the interstate my idle speed had increased to 3,000 - 3,500 RPM.  At a red light a state trooper pulled up next to me and my pipes were singing at those high RPMs, got a dirty look!!!

Long story short, dealer did not have the parts in stock, they new I was leaving on a trip tomorrow.  They pulled an '08 Ultra off the floor and took the required parts off the bike to get me on the road.  That's what I call World Class Service.  Thanks to all at La Valle HD in Maryland.

napalm

PS - The dealer that did my 5,000 mile service and gave me back the bike with the check engine light still on has lost my business for EVER!!!!!!

And That Dealer would BE?

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 09:46:26 AM »

M&S Harley Davidson, Chambersburg, PA

napalm
napalm

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 10:06:51 AM »

M&S Harley Davidson, Chambersburg, PA

napalm

Thanks for the Heads up

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 12:21:28 PM »

Had the fast idle problem on my 07 SEULTRA last week.  Bike would idle at 3k RPMs and hold there.  Happened twice on decel and once from about 1.5k up to the 3k.  Similar feeling to a cruise control engage - cruise control was not on any of the times it did this.

Dealer cannot find any codes - only engine light code that was current indicated a low battery condition - battery is fine.  Guessing a piece of carbon (?) was stuck in the flapper valve & then worked itself loose.  Cannot make the bike repeat the problem & rode 700 miles so far with no repeats.  Have had the low/slow idle at stop signs when the motor is hot - no fix for that either but also very sporadic.

Anybody have any ideas?
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 01:54:15 PM »

Dealers are only as good as their mechanics... and theres a lot of crap mechanics around.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 02:01:35 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, didn't someone else here have a similar high idle problem with an '08?  I thought the thread said something about flipping on and off the ignition and then hitting something else, blah blah blah, and it would reset the ECM to the original idle point.  Blah blah blah is a technical term...  ;D  ;D

I haven't done the search, but it was probably within the past month that I read this.

Can someone add anything to this?

:nixweiss:  :nixweiss:  :nixweiss:
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 24 queries.