Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Auxiliary Lighting Wiring  (Read 1608 times)

jerjohnson00

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
Auxiliary Lighting Wiring
« on: August 29, 2007, 01:29:06 AM »

Greetings...
I am about ready to add to my 07 SERK the auxiliary lighting and turn signals.  I have all the appropriate hardware, and it seems pretty straight forward.  I do not have a service manual, and the local shop doen't have them on hand.  I have a big ride coming up soon, and want to get these things on and working.  I need some help from the forum here on this...in detail, how do I do the wiring?  I remove the turn signals from the handlebars...fine...where should I cut the wires?  When adding the lapms and new turn signals, do I hard wire/splice them in somewhere?  Are there connectors that would work better?  I see there are 2 empty connector ends inside the nacelle...are these to add the lamps too?  I guess I am in need of instruction/help on how to wire the pieces in, and where to wire them.  Thanks for your help, I appreciate it greatly!!!!

JJ

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: Auxiliary Lighting Wiring
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 10:02:21 AM »

the new parts should have come with connectors and basic instuctions of where they plug in
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

jerjohnson00

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 12:16:58 AM »

No, there are no connectors.  Only inline splicers.  The instructions provided are VERY vague, and only have a small blurb of matching like wires to like wires.  The directions are assuming the bike has an auxiliary lamp kit on it, and you are just changing the components out.  I'm looking for some more detail as to where best to cut and splice the wires.  I had been assuming until I opened the kit that it would be more or less a "plug-n-play".  Nope!

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 08:17:27 AM »

No, there are no connectors.  Only inline splicers.  The instructions provided are VERY vague, and only have a small blurb of matching like wires to like wires.  The directions are assuming the bike has an auxiliary lamp kit on it, and you are just changing the components out.  I'm looking for some more detail as to where best to cut and splice the wires.  I had been assuming until I opened the kit that it would be more or less a "plug-n-play".  Nope!

Wiring is my thing.  I did this upgrade last year on my 07. 
Tips: 
Assemble the lights first.  To tighten the passing lamps, I bought a cheap 9/16 deep socket and cut a vertical slot in it with a dremel tool to allow the wires to fit.  If not this is a real pain.
I bought chrome braided wire harness covering that matched the factory cables and also grey heatshrink tubing to dress up the exposed ends
When you remove headlight you will find the unused passing lamp connector (gray wires I think).  The directional connector is on the upper right looking into the headlight nacelle.  it has the wires from both sides.  I cut the wires at the existing directional flush to the switch housing and left the wires inside the bars to aviod causing any issues.   Now if smart, you will note the connectors on the bike and go to the dealer and buy the pins or mating connector to enable future removal of the lights.   The only place to screw up is reversing left and right.

Any day on the bike is a good day.

jerjohnson00

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 04:50:04 AM »

Thanks for the information.  It seems pretty clear, and I don't think I will have any problems.  What kind of problems could I have with pulling the unused wiring out from the handlebar?  It's it hard to do?  At this point, I'm waiting for a good rainy day before I tear apart the front of the bike to do the additions.  Maybe once I have it apart, it'll all be clear and my questions will be silly in retrospect.  Again, thanks for the help.  Any ideas what the connectors and pins are called or what the part numbers are so I can get them from the local shop?  I agree and think I should add the connectors instead of doing a hard splice.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 02:46:51 PM »

The wires inside the bars are very tight.  HD has crimped many while building them, to avoid causing an issue and maybe giving a awy for the dealler to wiggle out of a warranty repair, leave the wires inside.
connectors passing lamp, white, you need two of the opposite gender of what's on the bike which I forget. the directional is a six way.

The easiest way out is to get the crimp on pins, male or female and then insert into the connector without the mating connector.
The directional wire will come out of the 6 position connector.  You can splice onto the existing wires that were routed thru the handlebars to the lights.
Its easy once you can see it.

As far as mounting the light assembly, get some chrome washers to put behind the black windshield bushings.  If you over tighten the lights, the bushing gets pulled into the recess in the chrome nacelle and distorts the bushing.  It will be difficult to attach the windshield after.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 24 queries.