Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: exhausting search  (Read 21905 times)

RedFXR2

Re: exhausting search
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2007, 09:11:26 AM »

The mention of a 1999 FXR made him say "they stopped making FXR's in '94." I said "except for the CVO's yeah".....CVwhat?? He'd never heard of CVO. This isn't the first time a service writer or parts guy has said that to me and I know others have had the same experience.

This has happened to me numerous times.  I've actually argued with HD parts guys about it.  Them insisting that I "can't possibly own a 1999 FXR--it must be a Dyna".  Or my favorite:  "Well, the Dyna and the FXR are the same thing so what fits one will fit the other.  Here's the Dyna part..."  Hoo, boy.

And then the reverse irony is my former local indy shop back in North Carolina--that guy could recite the complete history of the CVO model by model.  I bought my bike from him--it was there on consignment and he knew what he had.  A non-Harley dealer and he knows all about the CVO.

I think the bottom line reason for the lack of knowledge at the dealer is turnover and culture.  Most of the guys I run into at dealers don't really have much background in bikes.  They're parts counter sales guys who can look numbers up in books and in databases but they don't really know what they're looking for, in a familiar sense.  And it seems like most of them haven't been at that job for more than a couple of years.  Sales staff is even worse.

All of these guys are there to facilitate sales in one way or the other--not provide insight.

Now there is one guy at the local dealer who is the exception.  Older guy, he's retired from elsewhere and works there part-time and has been riding all his life.  Still owns his 1992 FXR, so he knows what I'm talking about when I describe a part or a particular fit issue.  He also hangs out with the Techs in the back to keep up to speed on current models.  And to top it all off, he has no ego--he's just glad to help.  But folks like him rare at the dealers.

My bottom line is that I figure it's up to me to know exactly what to tell the parts guy that I'm looking for--right down to the part number if possible.  I don't look to him for anything more than access to the catalogs or databases.

RedFXR2

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2007, 09:17:43 AM »

Robin:  I don't know if you noticed the forum on the Supertrapp web site.  You might consider posting an inquiry there and see if it turns up any leads on your pipe search.

http://forums.supertrapp.com/

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin
  • FXR3 in current form w/Kerker/HD exhaust

• CVO1: 1999 FXR3 Blue
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2007, 09:30:53 AM »

Yeah you know I have seen a lot of unhappy faces behind the counter at several Dealers. Lots of new faces too. Why? Are they not getting paid? I also agree with you on "informing yourself" It's really an attitude I try to practise and teach my kids about life in general.
I haven't tried the forum on SuperTrapps website, I'll give it a go, and let you know what happened. Thanks Robin.

I'm going to phone RB about their LSR Mega-Megs 2-2 I think I'm going to order a set, we'll see how the phone call goes.Even if I buy a set from them I'm still after those Kerker 2-2's,  Hey I've got more than one pair of boots.......

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2007, 02:59:27 PM »

Red
I don't know what to say... the SuperTrapp forum was a complete dissapointment, no response...just the automatically generated one you get after signing up for their news letter. If I come across a set of the 2-2 HD by Kerker I like, I'll buy them, but for the time being I'm not going to spend anymore time on SuperTrapp or Kerker.
I did however order a set of RB Racing's LSR EVO BIG TWIN 2-1 (C-Style) .  I sent them a detailed email with some questions about fitment and they sent me the attached photo...with the statement "We have a 1999 CVO too-changed a bit, crashed at 4000 miles". It appears to be an FXR2 with custom paint and a few other details changed...the pipes on that bike are the B-style where the rear pipe wraps around the timing cone before going to the collector as opposed to the "C" that doesn't.  The fact that this is their shop bike and they were really considerate on the phone sold me , plus they really seem to know their stuff. Also the manufacturing facility is right on my way from LAX to Glendale HD. Too easy. I'll definitely post some pictures after installing them.

RedFXR2

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2007, 03:46:57 PM »

Okay--I'll call off my Kerker search. :)

From what I read about the LSR pipes, I think you'll be pleased.  Those guys put performance before cosmetics and (IMO) it still looks good, too.  I take it you're getting chrome?  I think LSR offers them in brushed stainless or black as well.

By all means post some pics when you get them.  I had decided some time back that if I ever went 2-1, I'd go with the LSR's, myself.

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2007, 07:44:26 PM »

They offer chrome (double nickel, triple chrome),SS "titanium", and black.  Chrome was definitely my choice and actually the least expensive of the three options. I won't post those pictures until beginning of November after my holiday. I'll be picking them up mid Oct installing them and doing a few short rides to prove the jetting. I'm guessing I'll have to lean out the Mikuni what's your take? It seems with the 2-1 SE unit it's running a bit rich, not much though, the plugs look perfect but the tailpipe end cap looks a little bit carboned.  Performance improvement will be interesting. The picture below is the set I ordered; LSR 2-1 setup "C" style on a pretty radical custom . I think it'll look great on the FXR3.  Thanks again for help with the search. And hey if you find those 2-2 HD by Kerker's I'll still be interested.

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2007, 05:28:14 PM »

We're back from our all too short trip to Hollywood and as usuall it was busy doing short rides to here and there. Unfortunately Malibu canyon was not an option due to the fires but the Crest Hwy was open and we saw some carnage at Squid's Leap. A Ducati and rider went over a cliff. The bike was on the tow truck as we rode by. They retrieved it from about 100 ft down a very steep bank after a long left hand turn which had about 100 foot rear wheel skid mark leading to the to the launch site. The rider was air lifted out, they said he was probably going to live. One sports rider we talked to at the accident scene said this happens all the time, newbies riding beyond there ability mostly.
 But back to the thread!!!
 Anyone that is interested in my experience with RB Racing here it is..
The facility in Gardena isn't what you might expect, minimal signage and the shop itself very full of projects, however the service I got in person was better than I expected. I had read some reviews that said the communication with the business wasn't that good. Bob the proprietor and the brains behind product development seemed a little unsure of me maybe because not to many customers come to the facility to pick up their parts, but after a bit of discussion he figured out I was genuinely interested in his products not just getting my pipes and getting out of there. He is very knowledgeable and some might say a little eccentric but I wouldn't hestitate to do business with him again. He showed me his FXR2, which was somewhat disassembled and told me he was in the process of turbocharging it to go for the landspeed record for an 80" I believe that's over 200 mph. He also took the time to show me his real time fuel ratio sensor/gauge that works off exhaust temperature, you can install it on your bike and are able to tell at a glance how your carburetor or FI is working through the different loads you experience while riding, taking a lot of guess work out of the tuning process, it's all on the RB Racing website. (I bought one for installation later)
 After I said goodbye to Bob and Lynne, I had HD of Glendale install the 1017 "C"style (in chrome) pipes with the RB Racing CNC gaskets replacing the 65138-97 HD 2-1 pipes that were on the FXR3 when I bought it.
The tech that installed the pipes said everything fit together nicely, the quality of the finish is top notch and I really like the sound, they aren't too loud at start up or low throttle cruising but they really wake up and sound like a performance exhaust when you screw it on. I'm also very impressed with the performance improvement, the gains where significant from 2500 RPM  on up. Without some dyno runs before and after the exhaust change, it is difficult to quantify the extent of the improvement but I can tell you that the bike didn't used to wheelie when speed shifting into 2nd gear while caring a passenger but it does now! Performance upgrades before the addition of the RB Racing exhaust;
-80" Evo with stock heads which develops 175 PSI cylinder pressure on compression testing with a Andrews EV46 Cam; an HSR42 Mikuni; a SE ignition module and now a RB Racing 2-1 Exhaust.
These pictures weren't taken with the idea of showing the exhaust in great detail but I think you get the general idea of how they look on the FXR3.  Anyone considering RB Racing Products feel free to ask me, I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2007, 05:33:26 PM »

Another view of RB Racing Exhaust on FXR3

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2007, 05:37:23 PM »

One more RB Racing exhaust on FXR3

Minglewood

• Junior CVO Member
  • '00 FXR4 (gone); '11 FLTRUSE
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2007, 09:01:55 PM »

Nice report on those LSR pipes.  Here's a pic (seen before on this forum) of my FXR4 w/ Bub stubbies

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2008, 12:53:01 PM »

After 5 months of diligently watching ebay and periodically doing google searches, success!  New in the original packing with all the paperwork  HD# 65212-86A found on eBay for $300 shipping included. The only flaw with the purchase was a little water stain on the card board box, everything was as new and looking like it wasn't ever out of the plastic. Thanks to all who replied to this thread with part #'s and advice.
  Since I installed the RB Racing 2-1 set up I've been very impressed with the performance and sound and general quality. They are a very good exhaust system... but I think they lack a bit of styling. A bike like the FXR3 deserves a bit more flash. I'll report back and post some pictures when the Kerkers are installed, thanks again for the advice and encouragement.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2008, 01:04:57 PM »

Rob, that is sweet ride bro!  Keep up the hunt.

MIker

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2008, 12:10:01 PM »

It's been almost a year since I started my search for these pipes but I've finally got them on the FXR3.  I also imported the bike to my home on Vancouver Island so I can have more time to ride it. The spot in the garage in LA where the FXR3 was, is now occupied by a 2000 FXST 103".
 The pipes on the FXR3 are not to most peoples taste but they sound great and I think they look great and that's what's most important.  If anyone has these pipes and wants to know how I got them to sound good I can go into it for them. There is actually two main components in the mufflers and they each have multiple parts. It took me a few different configurations to get it to where it sounds deep throaty at low speeds (not too loud) but sounds very healthy when at higher RPM under load. Translation; They won't attract unwanted attention but they sound great when you crank it on. I'm sure they don't give me quite as much power as the RB Racing 2-1 but they are a Harley Davidson part which I think is appropriate for a CVO and I'm not trying to get every in/lb of torque from this bike anyway. It'll still wheelie when shifting quick with a passenger. The next project for this bike may be replacing the Mikuni with a CV carb, maybe a Bobby Woods modified unit. Again not for the performance so much as the fact that a CV unit is a stock piece for this bike.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2008, 07:59:48 PM »

The tech that installed the pipes said everything fit together nicely, the quality of the finish is top notch and I really like the sound, they aren't too loud at start up or low throttle cruising but they really wake up and sound like a performance exhaust when you screw it on.

have you had the chance to hear the V&H straight shots on an FXR 2,3 or 4  ?

If so, how would you compare that sound to the RB racing 2-1 pipes ?
I'm interested in a 2-1, and I like that look, but I want something that sounds a bit deeper than the straight shots.  I've been riding them for 7 years and need a deeper sound  .........

Thanks,
Mikey

btw, nice report on the pipes !
Thanks for posting that and the pics too !!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 08:03:23 PM by fxr4mikey »
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2008, 09:15:27 PM »

Mikey, I haven't heard the Straight Shots on an FXR...   I will say that everyone that was interested enough to ask about the RB exhaust has liked the sound.  My brother who like many REALLY didn't like the looks of the 2-1 in general, was very impressed with the sound. He runs Python3's 2-2's on his stage1, 1200 Sporty (maybe similar to the Straight Shots?) and the RB's are definetly deeper than those. I would say that the RB is a moderate to loud pipe with deep tone that sounds very healthy when running hard. I've heard lots of 2-1 pipes that sound tinny and hollow and some just too quite, I'll also say that if you are concerned with being too loud there's no baffle kit to quite it down.

Go to  http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/  Check out the whole site if you haven't already, it's actually quite a good read, a few laughs too

If I come across a set of Straight Shots on an FXR I'll take note of the sound and get back to you.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 25 queries.