Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: CARB Sues Dynojet over Power Commander.  (Read 5745 times)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
CARB Sues Dynojet over Power Commander.
« on: January 09, 2008, 10:40:52 AM »

Got this off of the Yahoo TC88 board.

The California Air Resources Board (CARB) announced recently that it concluded an investigation against Dynojet Research, Inc. At issue was the company's "Power Commander" that can be used to alter the air-fuel mixture and engine timing of on- and off-road motorcycles. CARB said that the installation of these devices would adversely affect the emissions control systems of vehicles that were certified by the original equipment manufacturers to comply with the agency's emissions standards. Dynojet has now certified a California version of the "Power Commander" and has agreed to pay $1,000,000 in penalties to the California Air Pollution Control Fund.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=5732&Page=1

I wonder how far this will propogate. Is this the beginning of the end? Is the SERT next? Thundermax too?  :nervous:

:indian_chief:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: CARB Sues Dynojet over Power Commander.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 10:47:02 AM »

How does that/would that affect bikes that were built before the stricter EPA/CARB guidelines? Would the be "grandfathered"?

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 11:07:09 AM »

How does that/would that affect bikes that were built before the stricter EPA/CARB guidelines? Would the be "grandfathered"?

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

I don't the answer to that one, but I would guess that's like closing the barn door after all the animals are gone. My question is more of "What's next?"  ;D

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 12:19:06 PM »

This is a truly scary development.  I would agree that the SERT will be next.  Why would it be exempt.  Big brother has gone too far.  I guess it's the Land of the Fee. 
One shift of a diesel school bus throws a cloud of lung choking smoke into the air that amounts to more than a years pollution from a motorcycle.  The school bus probably gets 7 mpg.  the bike +40, and CARB wants to choke the bike out of existence! 
The good old EPA should be required to exercise common sense.  I say they're unconstitutional. 
If you can't buy an air cooled Harley (which looks to only be a few years away -at most) we will have lost one of the great heritages of freedom in this country.  Thanks EPA! 
The EPA's definition of the perfect motorcycle:  Can't hear it, has 8 air bags, a roll-over cage, self deploying training wheels which actuate automatically below 5 mph or when cornering at more than a 15 degree lean angle, 100 mpg, 75mph governor.  Oh and by the way, can't be used on public roads. 
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

jackyass

• fort worth, texas
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 04:42:18 PM »

that's great steve.  I'll vote for you!!                                                       

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 05:33:24 PM »

Since the SERT is for race purposes only and would void the warranty, maybe that there disclaimer.  1 million and sounds like they didn't even hesitate to pay.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 05:38:05 PM »

Got this off of the Yahoo TC88 board.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=5732&Page=1

I wonder how far this will propogate. Is this the beginning of the end? Is the SERT next? Thundermax too?  :nervous:

I wonder if the suit by the EPA is due to the PC itself, or the fact that Dynojet and many of it's distributors provide canned maps that violate the emissions standards.  Seems that there would be a fine line there somewhere...the device IS ABLE to modify, but we sold it to you (much like the SERT dislaimer) as a blank, and the purchaser is responsible for the alterations.  Now places like Fuelmoto, who ship the units downloaded with a map already loaded, would be in a world of chit, but if they ship them unprogrammed, I don't see it.  It's just a tool, and could just as easily be used to make a motor run even more efficiently, and exceed the EPA standards.

:nixweiss:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 06:05:32 PM »

I wonder if the suit by the EPA is due to the PC itself, or the fact that Dynojet and many of it's distributors provide canned maps that violate the emissions standards.  Seems that there would be a fine line there somewhere...the device IS ABLE to modify, but we sold it to you (much like the SERT dislaimer) as a blank, and the purchaser is responsible for the alterations.  Now places like Fuelmoto, who ship the units downloaded with a map already loaded, would be in a world of chit, but if they ship them unprogrammed, I don't see it.  It's just a tool, and could just as easily be used to make a motor run even more efficiently, and exceed the EPA standards.

Is this new legal action post the release the Power Commander EX platform.  It is specifically limited.  It doesn't allow much tuning range specifically to live within CARB rules (at least that's what Dynojet says).  The "old" Power Commander is now for "off road use only." 

Is that now finall a distinction without a difference?  Things keep getting tighter and tighter.  Glad I've got a few options.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 08:44:08 PM »

Good one Terry, I'm certain the EPA will fall for that.  ::)

The "tool" is considered to be a defeat device, as in a device used to defeat the emission controls, and it has only been allowed to exist all these years because the Fed's didn't have the time, manpower, or inclination to do go after the aftermarket.  I believe a strict interpretation of the law and subsequent rules would show that selling such a tool, even without the programming, is a violation.  If the courts find otherwise and allow companies to get around the system by adding "off road only" labels, I would expect the CARB and then eventually the EPA folks to push for changes in the laws to close those loopholes.  In the automotive world, I don't have a big problem with that.  Modern automobiles outperform their unregulated ancestors quite handily while emitting exhaust that in some cases is cleaner than the intake air, all while providing excellent driveability.  Unfortunately, the folks at H-D haven't figured out how to accomplish those same things with their EPA engines.  I'm convinced they never will until they lose the easy (and profitable) crutch they've relied on for years, the one where they sell you intake, exhaust, and tuner to make the POS run decently.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 01:36:42 AM »

California is way anal about thier smog , for good reason .  It's only a matter of time before mandatory emissions testing including equipment. They have been real strict on cars for a long time.

One of the many reasons I moved.
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 07:57:29 AM »

This entire issue sucks.  Other states are now looking at this & wondering if they can get ECM mod makers on the hook for MORE than a $mil.

The ability to modify a bike for LEGAL on road use in Cali has just be severely limited.  Appears to be heading to a black market, where folks figure out how to modify their ECMs & sell the fix below the legal radar or usual channels. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 09:02:22 AM »

Not sure, but it may be because they made a model just for California, if it was just for off road, closed course, like the makers say about the others, there would be no need for a special unit for California. So since this unit was intended for the street, it is changing EPA controlled emission standard. This may be the reason.

vagabond6542

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 12:17:33 PM »

Who said that the EPA had all the answers on emission standards anyway?

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 12:55:02 PM »

-Sounds like anybody who plans on getting a SERT or something similar better get their order in now.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 01:58:52 PM »

Don't think they can do anything to the ones advertised as closed course/race units. It's the fact they they advertised the EX version as street approved in California.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 24 queries.