Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Tuning your 110... SERT, PC, TMax  (Read 3585 times)

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SE Ultra - Buried in the back yard where it belongs.
    • CVO2: Already learned that lesson
Tuning your 110... SERT, PC, TMax
« on: January 18, 2008, 08:20:22 PM »

Just curious what you all are doing. I've had my 110 dyno'd by two different tuners. Both times I have not been happy.  >:(

I installed a Tmax today and after a 30 mile ride, it's already better than I had. I think the days of the dyno are fast coming to a close.  ;)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: Tuning your 110... SERT, PC, TMax
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 08:26:43 PM »

Just curious what you all are doing. I've had my 110 dyno'd by two different tuners. Both times I have not been happy.  >:(

I installed a Tmax today and after a 30 mile ride, it's already better than I had. I think the days of the dyno are fast coming to a close.  ;)

This time last year there were a lot of happy TMax customers. Many of those happy customers found themselves hating life as the mercury began to climb.  :(

:indian_chief:

Rockdon

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 10:43:10 PM »

Does the Tmax not work well as the outside temps rise?  If so that is not good news to a Canuck who rides in 60 degree F most of the time and then heads to Arizona with that Tmax in the bike...  Enquiring minds need to know...

;D

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 12:02:21 AM »

I was one who had and then dumped the Thundermax.  I believe my problems were more with the company than the hardware.  Though the hardware certainly has its issues.

Ran fine in cooler weather.  As weather got warmer issues became apparent.  Significant detonation.  Bike was effectively unrideable.

This was the Thundermax with it's autotuning component installed and a map supplied by Zippers that was specifically and completely for the hardware combination installed in the motor.

Two primary problems.  First was Zippers itself.  Customer support was untenable.  Laughable if not for it being painful to deal with.  In the end rude and ineffective (with the latter being the far greater concern).

The autotune was the other problem.  I readily admit that the software provided by the mftr allows only little monitoring of what it actually was doing.  The things one could see, however, made it readily apparent that some of the changes it made were just wrong in relation to how the bike was behaving.  Confirmation of this came later with conversations with a gifted dyno tuner I know who admittedly has a good relationship with the company but thinks the autotune module sucks like rocks in space.

To summarize, as much as I (rightfully) despise the company I'm still intrigued with the promise of the Thundermax itself.  The maps supplied by the company for it are not an end all and be all though; their promises notwithstanding.  If you have an experienced tuner local to you who can tune the Thundermax to your bike to get it right to begin with it seems to be a viable an interesting option.  The autotune component in its current trim just appears not yet ready for prime time.  And if you're having the unit actually tuned to your bike by a competent local tuner you just don't have to give a damn about the company's piss poor service after the sale or their attitude in giving it.

Rockdon

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 12:34:29 AM »

I noticed a site that is dropping the Zippers thundermax when stock is gone , they will sell no more,,, the more one reads the more one learns. It appears the dream of auto tune might be best left for sometime in the future and a power commander looks ok to richen up the fuel mix and add some revs.

Thanks for the excellent info..

Rockdon

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 12:59:57 AM »

No dyno or tuner is created equal it seems.  I have no proof to back this up, but you probably only have a 25-30% chance of getting a good tune.  I want something that is rideable under all conditions instead of just large numbers, but that's just me.

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 11:35:45 PM »

Well I rolled 40 k miles on my 07 SE Ultra this weekend. I can say it has never, ever, even come close to running as well as it did this weekend after installing the TMax. We started a 300+ mile ride today. First fill up came out to 30 mpg. Second was 40 mpg. The bike runs strong and not any hint of pinging like before. Coming home, I went from 75 to over 90 passing, in 6th, so fast I was amazed. I guess I'll see what summer brings but it's working well for me.  :orange:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 11:40:52 PM »

Well I rolled 40 k miles on my 07 SE Ultra this weekend. I can say it has never, ever, even come close to running as well as it did this weekend after installing the TMax. We started a 300+ mile ride today. First fill up came out to 30 mpg. Second was 40 mpg. The bike runs strong and not any hint of pinging like before. Coming home, I went from 75 to over 90 passing, in 6th, so fast I was amazed. I guess I'll see what summer brings but it's working well for me.  :orange:

Congratulations CD.  The trick has always seemed to be having a good map to match your hardware to begin with.  Whether you're lucky enough to have that with a canned map or can get it tuned.  Having a good baseline is the nuts and with that the Thundermax is a promising ECM.  Are you working with or without the autotuning addition?

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 08:54:28 AM »

I have the full closed loop system with the autotune. My first fill up showed 30 mpg. By the end of the weekend, I was showing 40 mpg. The base map I loaded was pretty close. True duals and high flow air cleaner. I have a high lift cam in my bike but that was the big difference between the maps. It ran pretty rough the first few times I started it cold. Now it fires right up.

springer-

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 1981 FXSS
    • CVO2: 1983 FXRT
    • Big Boyz Head Porting
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 04:28:11 PM »

Like so many other subjects, everyone has an opinion.  One person will love something while the next will hate it, same item, 2 different experiences.

With that said, here's my opinion based on my experiences.  I feel a good tuner can out tune the Tmat every time in performance, gas mileage and drive-ability.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 12:02:13 AM »

One thing that the auto tune products (Zippers, DTT, Terry Components) on the market cannot do is timing. Whatever timing curve your base map is set for that is what you have.

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 07:45:21 AM »

Like so many other subjects, everyone has an opinion.  One person will love something while the next will hate it, same item, 2 different experiences.

With that said, here's my opinion based on my experiences.  I feel a good tuner can out tune the Tmat every time in performance, gas mileage and drive-ability.

absolutely, but for most folks the tmax tunes fuel better than most dyno tuners. thre are very few tuners of your and beans caliber.

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 07:48:57 AM »

Does the Tmax not work well as the outside temps rise?  If so that is not good news to a Canuck who rides in 60 degree F most of the time and then heads to Arizona with that Tmax in the bike...  Enquiring minds need to know...

;D

i have many tmax installed on lots of different build combos. in lower alabama with extreme temps and humidity. you can watch the weather station at the race track and the conditions change constantly. no complaints----have to cure some new customers of tinkeritis though.

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 07:56:20 AM »

I noticed a site that is dropping the Zippers thundermax when stock is gone , they will sell no more,,, the more one reads the more one learns. It appears the dream of auto tune might be best left for sometime in the future and a power commander looks ok to richen up the fuel mix and add some revs.

Thanks for the excellent info..

Rockdon

the site that is making a big todo of no longer carrying the tmax is because they violated zippers and other vendors advertising policy. you have to sign an agreement stating you will not advertise under msrp. almost all vendors require this. you can sell at any price you want, you just cant advertise lower than msrp. the site in question violated this agreement and cannot sell any zippers products-----the owner twisted the facts.

someone mentioned tmax doesnt tune timing. it does not time automatically, but is very robust in allowing manual timing adjustments. front and rear can be timed seperately and at every 256 rpm.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 09:23:06 AM »

If you do a search on T-Max you can read all the pros and cons people experienced with this system. I think with proper tuning the units will perform well, but so will SERT, and PCIII.
When the TMAT came out it was advertised as a no dyno tune wonder, just load a base map that fits your bike and it will tune to your build. If you had a simple build or one that matches what Zipper had on hand, then you bike probably ran fine, but many found no map close to their build, and little or no help from customer support. So it took a dyno tune to get the unit to work well. So you spent $300-$400 more than an SERT or a PCIII and still needed to get it dyno tuned.  :confused5:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 09:50:21 AM by Talon »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 24 queries.